Head porting....whos the best value for money...UK

smudge2031

Well-Known Forum User
Hi, I need my p90 head proted and was needing a bit of advice of who to go to to get it done......quality and cost...who is the best??...thanks

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I've just spoken to Rob Jarman about this, as I want a head done too. I wondered if he would still be interested. Basically he said that there was nothing too clever in porting these heads as the ports are already oversize and any useful tuning shop should be up to it.
3 angle valve seats, smoothing up the edges in the ports, unmasking the valve guides, matching the inlet manifold, were the main pointers.
I was going to speak to some of the tuners I have used in the past for Vauxhall and Ford stuff to gather their thoughts.

Cheers
Andy W

smudge2031

Well-Known Forum User
OK, well keep me in the loop if you have any luck etc....I am really wanting someone to build my engine also....what I want is...L28, forged rods and pistons, P90 ported head, race damper bearings etc... triple 45's and a 11.5:1 compression ratio......who would you suggest??

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I've just spoken to Rob Jarman about this, as I want a head done too. I wondered if he would still be interested. Basically he said that there was nothing too clever in porting these heads as the ports are already oversize and any useful tuning shop should be up to it.
3 angle valve seats, smoothing up the edges in the ports, unmasking the valve guides, matching the inlet manifold, were the main pointers.
I was going to speak to some of the tuners I have used in the past for Vauxhall and Ford stuff to gather their thoughts.

Cheers
Andy W

Dave Jarman.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
With that porting described by Turn & Burn, although good, you'll have a CR in the high 7s or low 8s. So you'll then need a good few mm taken of the head to get the CR you want, and then you'll need cam tower shims to lift the cam sprocket back up. and then you'll need big lash pads or poss raising the valve seats or using taller valves. OR get a Kameari Twin Idler tension.
Or... more likely consider welding up the chambers to reduce their volume. but this gets more expensive.

I think it all depends on budget, but nothing with strong performance is cheap. I think also if you do some searching on here, you'll find there really isn't a UK turn-key engine builder for L engines. Although Rebello don't seem to actually quite deliver the HP they claim and they are in the US, they do build a lot of strong performance a la carte L engines and I think are probably the best bet for fixed price, guaranteed delivery time, fixed performance.

As a data point on price - I've built my own over bored L28 with spec similar to what you describe and I've spent £7k so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've just spoken to Dave Jarman about this....he said that there was nothing too clever ...........

:D

Usually the case when you speak to an expert who isn't after work. I bet a head worked by you and one worked by Dave would be slightly different.

would you think it was important to get flow reports, before and after, designed to work with the chosen cam and CR?

Its an interesting topic as i'd like to use an e31 head but the costs of bigger valves with correct seats, crack testing etc etc all add up before its even been touched.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Les Collins is doing some great work down in Ausland. But my next engine (block, internals, head and cam) is being sorted not far from Stroud and I'm not saying anymore unless MZR let me.

smudge2031

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for all the advice.......Rebello seems the best option.......3.0 stroker engine ready to just bolt in with exhaust, flywheel and clutch $14,000...expensive but probably worth it....

smudge2031

Well-Known Forum User
My car is actually in the US at the moment so I dont have to worry about that....its busy getting a FIA spec cage fitted....rolling shell at the mo......will come to me with a cage, engine and box...and I will finish it here...Tarmac stage rally car build

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
My car is actually in the US at the moment so I dont have to worry about that....its busy getting a FIA spec cage fitted....rolling shell at the mo......will come to me with a cage, engine and box...and I will finish it here...Tarmac stage rally car build
Jeez - I hope you've someone good over there 'cos most of 'em know eff all about FIA specs which are far from SCCA etc !!!

Might be able to do you a deal on the header.;)

smudge2031

Well-Known Forum User
Yes...he is a wizard when it comes to cages.....I actually have 280z SCCA car its cage is actually over specced material compared to the FIA one....thicker walled etc