Fuel tank options?

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
So i have seen lots of s30's with rusted fuel tanks, inside en outside and replacements seem to be hard to find. Is there a company that makes replacement tanks for 240z's?

Mr.G

Club Member
There are many alloy fabricators that can copy any pattern you give them. As far as I know there is no current off the shelf aftermarket part you can purchase.

You are left with a couple of options:

1. Get your tank professionally coated inside and out
2. Buy a good second hand tank
3. Get one made from scratch

If your having one made and going efi and will use the car in anger consider having baffles fitted and an in tank pump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyn

Club Member
Only just spotted this :unsure:

proalloy

They made me an alloy tank to fit my 78 260z
When I went to see them they had already made a modded 240z tank, so should deffo be able to help

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Why are after-market petrol tanks made out of Aluminium?

I realise that they will be lighter and wont rust.

I would have thought it a feasible task to make a mild steel tank at home. Welding aluminium is a different matter. Just a thought considering how rare they are to find.

When I was learning to weld I took a Ford Anglia 105E tank to the night-class and was told in no uncertain terms to take it out of the workshop pretty quickly! A fume-filled tank is not something to weld. The instructor (a keen motor cyclist) reckoned that he had heard of bike tanks being enlarged (for Isle of Man races) by welding extensions on to them but connecting them to a car exhaust first and purging them with Carbon Monoxide.

Mr.G

Club Member
I will need my tank modding soon to cater for an in tank fuel pump, I still have to find someone to do this but now you've posted this I'll give them a call to learn if they can help me mod mine.

CheerZ for the link. :thumbs:

Wyn

Club Member
George
Only thing I would say is make sure you are sitting down when you see a quote :D

Few pics of mine attached
Trial fitted mine earlier today and seems to fit ok :thumbs:

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    815.9 KB · Views: 129
  • tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    807.7 KB · Views: 120
  • tank3.JPG
    tank3.JPG
    810.6 KB · Views: 127

Mr.G

Club Member
Cheeky up skirt pic, it's all coming together now!! :D

Those are some sweet bits under there :)

Is yours an in tank fuel pump? Did they supply the pump too?

Wyn

Club Member
Yep its getting there sloooowly :thumbs:

I opted for an external pump as I already had a Bosch 044 pump
Tank is also baffled and uses a internal fuel trap aswell for injection use
Now I need to find a handy place to mount the fuel pump ?
From the rear diff/suspension drop bracket maybe ?

Mr.G

Club Member
I mounted my 044 on the bar that sits in front of the diff cover, all it needed was some brackets made. I'll take a pic. tomorrow.

Mr.G

Club Member
Here you go Wyn, not a great pic but you get the idea.

Attachments

• tankphoto.JPG
    tankphoto.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 83

zbloke

Club Member
Now I need to find a handy place to mount the fuel pump ?
From the rear diff/suspension drop bracket maybe ?

Can't you make a bracket that uses the holes in the chassis crossmember where the OEM electric fuel pump mounted?

Mr.G

Club Member
Here's a link which talks about it, http://zclub.net/forum/240z-260z/9162-260z-fuel-pump-bracket.html, sadly the picture no longer exists. I can take a pic of the one I have but it's at the bottom of the garden in the shed and it's raining heavily. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Thinking about it, it probably doesn't sit low enough, I can send you it and you can have a play and see if it fits the bill or not, it may even be something you could modify to work.

Wyn

Club Member
Ok george, if you get chance to get a pic that would be good
As it goes I dug out a spare cross brace today so might well still use that

Ian

Club Member
900ss - Thats a rather nice looking tank. I assume they will have the blueprint for the 260Z fuel tank on computer? so making another one shouldn't be too hard.

Do you have any photos of it from farther back so I can get an idea how it looks on the car.

I need a new fuel tank for my 260Z, I was just going to try and find a good second hand one but I might be be better upgrading to something like that. I want something that looks as good as the stock tank, can still be filled up from the stock location and will be able to support an RB26/25 in a year ot twos time.

I see you are using a fuel swirl pot in your setup, do you know if there is anyway I could run high flow FI without needing to use one?

Wyn

Club Member
Ian, I guess if you contact them they will have the detail and dimensions etc
Sorry I have no other shots of the fitted tank yet. That tank has its own "built in" swirl pot so no need for an external one anymore
hths

z-spec

Well-Known Forum User
I copyed the steel works one in to aluminium

Attachments

• DSC03240.JPG
    DSC03240.JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03199.JPG
    DSC03199.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC03235.JPG