Fuel overflow from carbs, where to run it?

toopy

Club Member
I need to sort the petrol overflow from my 2"SU's

Not that they overflowed at all, but i dont want petrol dripping every where if they change there mind, once the cars back on the road!

I cant remember how the overflow was setup on my previous 240z carbs as its been years since i had them!

I can't ever remember seeing an overflow on my HD8s. The main thing is to cover/sheild the exhaust manifold from any leaks.

I can't ever remember seeing an overflow on my HD8s. The main thing is to cover/sheild the exhaust manifold from any leaks.

Hi Rob, i have HS8's, HD8's have different float chamber tops with no arrangement for an overflow :unsure:

I was thinking some longish fuel pipe somehow clipped to the exhaust heat shield so any drops would fall pretty much straight onto the road, wont exactly look nice and neat though.

Wouldn't you just run the overlow into the return line to the tank?
Even with a mech pump, if they're overflowing, you're going to dump quite a lot of fuel on the road quite quickly.

I would think there'd be other symptoms, like rough running that would trigger investigation and sorting.
On the other hand, if there are no other symptoms, it's not a big deal is it?

Originally they would have been piped into the airbox.
I''ve routed mine down two pipes to 6" from ground.
If the needle valves are stuck you will run too rich as the float level will be too high, and you get obviously poor mileage.;)

Originally they would have been piped into the airbox.

It dawned on me last night when i was looking at some pics of other engine bays that the air filter box was utilised for the pipework.

Obviously not having the air box anymore it'll have to be as you did yours Andrew :)

So, i went for, clear reinforced/braided fuel hose, from each carb joined to a brass Y piece and then single length to approx sump gasket level.
Was going to use some normal rubber hose, but it is more pliable than the pvc stuff and thought it may blow/move about more when on the move.
To be honest when the car was on the road in the past, i never had any hose on the overflow pipes, and they never did, overflow! but dont want to take the chance that "Sod's law" takes effect second time round :devil:

Back