European road event: Interest?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

I'm in the very very early stages of planning a Gumball type event taking a loop (nowhere near determined yet) around Europe.

Similar to the Gumball, it will include stays at some of the best 5* Hotels in Europe.

Probably looking at an event length of around 4 days. We're planning on gearing it towards older cars but all will be welcome. In the event that the event the competition would be over subscribed, it would be first come first served with perhaps a ballot for the final few places.

No idea on cost yet but this wouldn't be organised as a money spinner for us like the Gumball/ Cannonball run is so the emphasis would be on more bang for your buck with plenty of support on the road.

Feel free to make any comments or questions.

Cheers all,

Matt

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
The plan is to make one entry include one car and two passengers with a more discounted rate for a 3rd or 4th passenger. It has the scope to get quite big.

JK240

Club Member
I'd love to do this with a load of other Z's and the like, so keep me informed if it starts looking anything like a reality :)

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
So far i have confirmed interest, from my circle of friends:

Mk 1 Golf GTi
MGB GT Sebring recreation 1968
Triumph TR6
1969 Mustang Mach 1 provided that it isn't sold first.

So a real mixed bag already but an interesting mix.

I think at the very least the trip will do Monaco and Nurburgring. The Fairmont Monte Carlo would be the accommodation there and the for the Nurburgring probably the Swissotel in Dusseldorf but nothing confirmed yet of course. More just ideas over beers at the moment.

Anyone have any gems in that sort of range to suggest?

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi Matt,

Love the idea but personally I think the experience and route is more important than the accommodation. Would far rather stay in interesting places than expensive 5 star hotels.

Cheers, Nick

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
The accommodation is those places because there is a sizeable discount through my wife which make the trip more comfortable and opulent and they are close to places of interest. Mainly the ring and Monaco. Plus the routes between will be recce'd and confirmed as good drivers routes if you know what I mean. My recce trip will probably be a few friends, camping and thrashing cars. :driving:

Russell

Club Member
I would be really up for doing this and taking my 260z out.

I'm sure it would make the trip and would push me to get a few bits done that I have been putting off as it doesn't do huge miles.

When are you thinking? Can it be a dry time of the year? Save my car from "dissolving"!

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

Not attempting to hijack this thread but this June I'm planning on a road trip in my 240z to Norway / Sweden to coincide with the end of the Volvo Ocean Race at Gothenburg.

Probably a mix of camping and reasonably priced hotels but no real planning involved!

Could be a good excuse for a few Zs to make it if anyone else is interested?

Cheers, Nick.