euro light lenses

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
This has probably cropped up many times in the past but I cannot find the search button for the subject of converting to european rear light lenses from a stateside car.
I'm ok converting the front end as I have found main headlights containing a side light facility and rewiring will not be a problem. I also intend to fit daylight running lights which I have done on another car of mine. Bottom line is do I need to convert the rear lenses to euro style? My feeling is yes as I expect in the case of a rear end bump my insurance may be invalid if I don't have orange lenses. Anyone tried orange bulbs behind the red lenses?
That said I can only find stock at somewhere like JDM in the states which when you factor in purchase, shipping and import taxes result in some very expensive chunks of plastic!!
Any thoughts guys or help in purchasing some good secondhand ones. I note that there are some on ebay at the moment but the price is climbing fast and there's still 6 days to go + they look a bit 'tired'
Anyone tried buying from Japan and if so is the price better overall?
At this stage I guess I'm going to take the hit and purchase new....big ouch!!!!!

Over here, they accept USA red rear lights if wired correctly to illuminate when they should and not when they shouldn't.:D

Some test stations over here will quietly pass the USA spec. My mate has a Merc that passed, so it appears it may be down to the roll of a dice on the day. I would prefer my car to be UK legal for piece of mind!

Several people on the forum in the past have mentioned just changing the bulbs to amber, as sufficient to pass an mot.
Assuming the wiring is also correctly sorted!

A friend of mine still runs the US style rear tail lights, he's just rewired them to separate out the brake and indicators. It all depends on your MOT testers view on the matter though I'm sure.

I've been told orange bulbs work ok though, personally I just splashed out on some new replica JDM/Euro lights. They cost a few quid however they look the business!

A friend of mine still runs the US style rear tail lights, he's just rewired them to separate out the brake and indicators. It all depends on your MOT testers view on the matter though I'm sure.

I've been told orange bulbs work ok though, personally I just splashed out on some new replica JDM/Euro lights. They cost a few quid however they look the business!

I agree having mulled things over for a few days.I will take the plunge and buy new replica ones as I intend to keep the car for many years. I do intend however to convert to LED's as well.

I think we know the requirement is for amber lenses or clear lenses with amber lamps. The debate may be what we consider we can get away with. The same debate is on American classic car forums. Most of those owners want to keep the original look and I believe get away with it.

I'm sure the majority of us don't comply with the law. How many of us do 71mph or above on the motorway? We do it because we think we can get away with it even though we are breaking the law.

Just to add. Having a red turn signal flashing cant be any worse than all the BMW's that don't even have indicators!!!

I believe all the fuss is because in Europe, we're used to having orange indcators - a working, flashing signal to change direction is all that's needed......and how many people use them today anyway:D ?

A lot of the modern cars hardly have 'orange' showing when flashing.

Interest read.

So it will fail on incorrect colour. Is there a BS colour? as I couldn't find it. How amber does it need to be? An Amber led bulb will change the colour of a red lens but will it be enough?

The other reason for failure will be dual function. I've not looked into what's required to modify the rear lights. Anyone know the answer to this?

With regard to the front marker lights. I see lots of vehicle fitted with front amber side marker lights that do not flash as indicators. This is primarily on commercial vehicles but can this be done on cars?

The front indicators will need to be converted to just indicators so the don't illuminate when the headlights are on.

I think I have a set of UK rear lights you can have. Not sure of their condition, though. I'm busy over the weekend but will take a look early next week.

I've wired up the reversing lights to the indicator circuit and switch to orange bulbs in the clear indicator lens

I agree having mulled things over for a few days.I will take the plunge and buy new replica ones as I intend to keep the car for many years. I do intend however to convert to LED's as well.

Same logic as I applied, makes sense in the long run I think :thumbs:

I ended up with Blem units for the US (pictured and linked in my project thread), don't rush on the LED front immediately though as you'll be surprised by just how clear the repro lights are when lit up with standard bulbs. I've now got orange indicators, red brake and white reverse lights.

Also JDM/Euro lights look a lot better imo :D

Back