Dodgy diesel

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone in the North East had any issues with problem diesel recently?

Last week I had to get the father in laws diesel removed and fresh stuff put in.
Symptoms....Loss of power and failure to hold idle revs before stalling.
It was filled up at a little Jet station.
Dropping the fuel and replacing fixed the issue.
I filled up at Shell locally and my hilux is having the same symptoms.
Anyone know of the correct procedure for complaint or do I just take it up the ars$

Thanks

andrew muir

Club Member
My van has had an issue, filled up two months ago with diesel from Tesco and ever since when cold it runs like sh*t. Once warmed up ok, think the diesel is clogging up the injectors a bit. Going to get it all cleaned out at next service.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Stop using the Red Stuff, Craig !

Seriously though, I have been noticed that my 200k-miles Trooper has a regular Fuel Injector problem soon after I fill up with any Supermarket Diesel, especially Tesco's, so......you are not alone.

kev64

Well-Known Forum User
Our Passat 2.0 tdi had new injectors f o c due to a recall since then have only used brand fuel before this found the supermarket fuel never lasted as long???? We have very groundhog journeys work shopping etc so shouldn't make a difference:unsure:!!

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
The local garage to me fixed the father in laws Pajero.
Replaced some (we think) perforated fuel lines and checked it all over.Not much improvement.
Dropped the fuel and put 2 gals of fresh fuel in. Bingo all is well.
He has a little Bellingo and he had a couple of gallons in it and stuck a gallon of the drained fuel in.
Ran like a pig so he had to drain that as well.
He thinks modernish cars ecu's have a bit of leeway and control and can adjust themselves to a certain degree but to far and they go into limp mode.
Mine and the father in laws trucks have no such luxury.

andrew muir

Club Member
You have to ask why is the supermarket stuff so cr*p and how do they get away with it?
I would have thought the fuel has to be up to a certain standard?

johnymd

Club Member
The base fuel is all the same. All the different tankers fill up at the same depot. The only difference is the additives blend that the different brands ask for.

johnymd

Club Member
As some of you may know, I do a lot if timed runs down the drag strip and it doesn't seem to make any difference which fuel I use. For many years now I've only used tesco fuel. Recently I've been putting shell in it and have noticed no difference on the road. My terminal times were down a bit last week which could be down to shell not being as good as tesco but it could also be a number of other reasons.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think water contamination is most likely culprit. Some 'dry fuel' type stuff should sort it.