Diversifying the collection; what cars would you consider?

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Roll back 10-15 years and outside of their rally success I hated everything an Impreza stood for (chavs, mostly fat wearing baseball caps in South Wales) but now that most of the sheds have disappeared from the streets, my opinion has changed somewhat. So much so that I've just acquired this one, and so far I love it. Having a young baby means any 2 seater car rarely gets used anymore so having something fun I can put her in the back of is a nice change.

It's a low mileage, low owner, P1 with a few subtle mods but all standard parts were kept so I have them too.

(A clean underside excites me more than shiny paint :D)

I hope you like, but more interestingly, what model of car has your opinion changed on over the years?

:thumbs:

American cars for me, well the good old Muscle cars to be precise.

As a kid to me the US cars were just cheap tat but now I love them as I understand where they were coming from all those years ago.

As such I have a 68 440 RT Charger, 67 390 GT FB Mustang and a 66 Big Block Sting Ray.

No offence but they are still cheap tat, never designed to last more than a few years at most just now they're overpriced tat.:D

American cars.......As a kid to me the US cars were just cheap tat but now I love them as I understand where they were coming from all those years ago.

And I always loved the '67 convertible 'vette.:thumbs:

No offence but they are still cheap tat, never designed to last more than a few years at most just now they're overpriced tat.:D

:

Are you referring to the scooby ^?

If so, your views are ditto to what the MG \Jag and other British tat owners thought about the s30 in the early 70's and 80's and many hold same opinion today
.:rolleyes::smash:

However each to their own as the saying goes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you referring to the scooby ^?

If so, your views are ditto to what the MG \Jag and other British tat owners thought about the s30 in the early 70's and 80's and many hold same opinion today
.:rolleyes::smash:

However each to their own as the saying goes...

No - I quoted American cars as per Viper - you're out on your own somewhere smoking tea-leaves Preet.:rolleyes:

Sean......They were always tat you're right but huge thumping V8 engines in a tin (or glass) shed is something special.

Cars back then were only ever designed to last 7 years, that's true of most cars except the Datsun which I'm sure was only ever designed last as far as the factory gate.

I guess I'm ready to appreciate most cars from around the globe as I consider myself a proper petrolhead

Always gets me how some people are so blinkered, these people I find normally own a Ferrari....

I guess I'm ready to appreciate most cars from around the globe as I consider myself a proper petrolhead

Always gets me how some people are so blinkered, these people I find normally own a Ferrari....
......or a Porsche - it's safe money with a great badge - like buying £400 Nikes to walk to the corner shop.

madda (thanks) - let's be clear - I have only the greatest respect for the Subarus - don't be confused by the 'saloonist' on her.

I love the yank cars - but to look at not to drive....I still have a hankering to own a massive woody SW but I couldn't afford to run it.:eek: and like you Viper, I can appreciate (almost) anything.

oh that wore out years ago!!:eek:
enough of this or I will get told off for dragging thread off topic

So that's why it only pokes out so far.....worn down the nib !

Back on topic - do my two Cherrys count ? I recently helped save a Cherry Turbo too.

I've got a scooby sportswagon,on my second one,even had 33 mpg once,love driving it,a well sorted scooby is one serious bit of kit not to be sniffed at,I have a stage one chip and that luverly burble that a scooby has,good practical estate car,it's just not good on juice

I have had most american muscle cars over the years, many mustangs and camaros and roadrunners. I still have a few of them but finding one that is not rusted or crashed for decent money is a challenge.

Seems anytime you can find a lower mileage original 60's or early 70's muscle car for a nice price it is worth jumping on.

As the older guys die off, the cars they treasure have come back on the market for fairly cheap money. It's now interesting to watch 80's and 90's cars take off as those guys start to find some spare change to buy their high school car. Camaro Z-28, Trans Am's, Fox body mustangs of 80's and 90's vintage are rising fast for nice original cars.

Watch for the 1979 Mazda RX7's to make a run in the next couple of years. IMHO

Can't be many early RX-7s left - they've spent years in the price wilderness being broken or dumped....!

Maybe that's half the reason BDA went bust ?

Back