Dash crack repair

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi My pristine 260z dash has finally succumbed to the Scottish weather and has developed a small crack about the middle running from the screen to 2 inches from the voltmeter.:(
I can live with it like that but don't want it to get worse.

It seems to widen when it is cold and close up when it is in the sun (hot).

I was thinking of using a black coloured flexible adhesive caulk to fill and then just before hard using blutack to create a print to press into it to blend it with the texture of the rest of the dash.
Would this work.:unsure:
I don't want to take the dash out as that would be a major job and yes maybe over the winter but not at the moment.

andrew muir

Club Member
Has anyone tried to vinyl wrap a dash??
I think you can get textured vinyl.
How easy is it to take the dash out and should I melt a hole at the end of the crack to stop it speading down the front?

Dale

Club Member
If you're going to the point of removing the dash and all it's components to vinyl wrap it, and with the cost of the wrap as well, I think I'd look to flocking it instead.

Also, with the texture the dash already has I'm not convinced wrap would stick evenly and may lift in places. I've just vinyl wrapped a pair of speakers and even though they had perfectly flat surfaces there is some slight lifting on them.

NikWilson

Well-Known Forum User
Hi My pristine 260z dash has finally succumbed to the Scottish weather and has developed a small crack about the middle running from the screen to 2 inches from the voltmeter.:(
I can live with it like that but don't want it to get worse.

It seems to widen when it is cold and close up when it is in the sun (hot).

I was thinking of using a black coloured flexible adhesive caulk to fill and then just before hard using blutack to create a print to press into it to blend it with the texture of the rest of the dash.
Would this work.:unsure:
I don't want to take the dash out as that would be a major job and yes maybe over the winter but not at the moment.

I have used leather tear repair compound on mine and has done a great job on a small split I have. Can be bought on eBay in various colours - black included!

andrew muir

Club Member
What speaker where they, you should have no problem wrapping them?
I sell ya something decent ye can't get a Richer:D:D

If you're going to the point of removing the dash and all it's components to vinyl wrap it, and with the cost of the wrap as well, I think I'd look to flocking it instead.

Also, with the texture the dash already has I'm not convinced wrap would stick evenly and may lift in places. I've just vinyl wrapped a pair of speakers and even though they had perfectly flat surfaces there is some slight lifting on them.

Dale

Club Member
What speaker where they, you should have no problem wrapping them?
I sell ya something decent ye can't get a Richer:D:D

Where's the 'handbag' smiley when you need it? :D

Just a set of Celestion F10's, but they now match the units in the garage ;)

19477212-0218-4447-BCB8-F0F4CBBA8E30-2564-000003C3936D2097_zps79b55528.jpg

richiep

Club Member
You can replicate the factory finish with off-the-shelf products and not be able to tell where the repair is. I've done to a spare 240z dash I have that had a couple of fairly bad cracks and dents. I used Isopon flexible bumper filler, as available at Halfords, Halfords flexible black vinyl paint for the final finish, and to get the texture U-pol PlastX 4 texture paint, both coarse and fine grade.

Open up the crack in a 'v' fashion, glue the bottom of it with super glue, epoxy, araldite, whatever you prefer. Fill with bumper filler, sand to shape, prime, PlastX texture sprayed carefully using coarse and fine grades of paint (experiment with differing ranges and dust coats over damage area, blending into the factory texture), take the rough edge off the texture with a very little sanding, topcoat with Halfords trim paint.

On the dash I did, you'd only know where I'd repaired it if I told you where to look and then only because of and almost imperceptible difference in the pattern of the texture. It's actually nicer now than the one in my car.

I'll take some photos if you want of the finished article. Pity I didn't take any while doing it. I used the hybridz and classiczcars threads on this topic as a guide but substituted products available in the UK.

richiep

Club Member
Those dash caps aren't really a repair, they just hide the issue and are completely obvious. If youre fine with that then fair enough. The repair I described will be cheaper and virtually invisible if done carefully. There are examples on classiczcars.com of people using that repair process on some horrific cracks with very good results.

darren-b

Well-Known Forum User
I have just repaired 3 cracks in my dash using a range of products, gt pro flexi filler,fibreglass resin, U-pol PlastX 4 texture paint, both coarse and fine grade & a very thin wet coat of acrylic 2k gloss black as the U-pol finished very matte & seemed to mark with every touch. I will see how it fairs up before recommending them,

I'm really pleased with the finished result, it took me a fair few hours to get it right, but well worth the effort. I just hope it remains durable

Farmer42

Club Member
Those dash caps aren't really a repair, they just hide the issue and are completely obvious. If youre fine with that then fair enough. The repair I described will be cheaper and virtually invisible if done carefully. There are examples on classiczcars.com of people using that repair process on some horrific cracks with very good results.

Tried repairing 2 cracks myself but they have just opened up again. Tried getting someone to do it for me and no-one wants to touch it without ripping the whole dashboard and fittings out which I am not prepared to do given that I want to drive the car.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a dash cover from RHD Japan http://www.rhdjapan.com/kameari-s30-dash-board-cover.html

I understand the comments about it looking false but my dashboard is dying and I need something to sort it and this appears to be the best way for me. There are plenty of LHD dash "caps" but nothing in RHD apart from this and it appears to wrap the whole dashboard not just sit on the top. It arrived on Thursday and I will hope to fit it this weekend.

The question is, has anyone bought one of these before? If so, what was the best adhesive to use to hold it in place? The kit came with screws and a load of instructions in Japanese:confused:. There are small holes in the cover at strategic places but I am a bit reluctant to just use those as they will probably not hold. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

richiep

Club Member
This US site has some really good information on it. Here is a dashboard repair link: http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/22325-dash-repair-processpictures/

That thread was useful as I researched the process before I attempted it for the first time. Just substitute the products I mentioned earlier in this thread for the US ones in the article.

FYI, when doing area repairs, you do not actually need, IMO, to refinish the whole dash afterwards with the PlastX texture finish. With care and a blend of the fine and coarse grades, and some gentle sanding to take the rough finish off, you can blend the repair into the original dash surface. I'd also highly recommend Halfords flexible vinyl paint as the final finish. Looks great.

On the one I did, it's almost impossible to see where the repaired areas begin and end.

I'll maybe post a photo later (dash is stowed in my garage loft above the Z).

richiep

Club Member
RE: those complete Kameari dash covers, you are probably the first to give one a try. They look like a better solution than the typical US ones though as they cover the entire dash rather than just sitting on top looking totally obvious.

andrew muir

Club Member
Lets us know how you get on.
Mine has only a small crak 1mm wide which I have filled with flexible sealant so will wait till it gets worse or more appear until I get the whole dash out.

Farmer42

Club Member
RE: those complete Kameari dash covers, you are probably the first to give one a try. They look like a better solution than the typical US ones though as they cover the entire dash rather than just sitting on top looking totally obvious.

Have now fitted the Kameari dash cover (see pics) and apart from 2 places (the Fairlady badge on the passenger side and the area around the trip and dimmer knobs) you would not know that the dashboard had been covered. It looks great and much better than the repair I previously did and as the cover is made out of fibreglass it should not hopefully crack in the sun etc.

The only downside is that it wasn't cheap (about £300 inc. shipping) but it arrived from Japan very quickly.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0809.JPG