Clutch problems

johnymd

Club Member
Took the car for a spin today......well, reversed out of the garage, turned it round and put it back in. Trouble is it wont go into gear with the engine running. If you start it in gear, with the clutch down its ok but it bites as soon as you lift the peddle. Is this a worn pressure plate, friction plate or something else. Ive bled it a few times but thats made no difference. I think the clutch Ive used is of my old L24 and the engine I've used is a L28, could this be an issue?

I seam to remember having the same problem 6 years ago when I last had the engine out but can't remember what fixed it.

Any advice most appreciated.

You're not getting enough travel to release the clutch. Possible height mismatch between pressure plate and release bearing carrier...?

Thanks for the input. So, before I take the gearbox out to check the clutch, are there different bore slave cylinders? could I have put the wrong one on? I seam to remember last time it was the master cylinder.......or was it the slave?

Are there different pressure plates and release bearings? How do I identify what I have?

There are 2 different bearing carriers one is taller than the other, the one goes with the 225mm clutch & the other goes with the 240mm clutch.

This is starting to make sense...or at least it fits in with what I have actually done. My 240 had an l24 and I assume the original box. I've not touched the box and release bearing but changed the engine and clutch to a l28. Would the l28 clutch be 240mm and fit in with what Mike said about the release bearing carrier?

This is starting to make sense...or at least it fits in with what I have actually done. My 240 had an l24 and I assume the original box. I've not touched the box and release bearing but changed the engine and clutch to a l28. Would the l28 clutch be 240mm and fit in with what Mike said about the release bearing carrier?

Yes :thumbs:

And with mine it was the other way around I removed a 2.8 with 240mm & fitted a short stroke 2.6 with a 225mm clutch, knowing nothing about the different carriers the original is still in there. :(

Johnny, this could well be the release bearing carrier. There are differences between L series clutches and well documented in previous threads. Try a search.

I've had 3 different size carriers through my hands.

Have you an adjustable push rod & if so is the nut as far out as it will go to take up all the free play?

I've a spare clutch release bearing carrier sat in my shed from my 78 260z

Any use ?

'78 260Z carrier should match the 240mm clutch fitted from 10/75 to end of 280ZX in '83...

If you have fitted a late 240mm clutch with a 240Z carrier then this would generate your problem.

I had same problem, and at the time, "ten years ago" didn't know about the different height carriers. Made a longer push rod. Been this way ever since---:thumbs:

I've a spare clutch release bearing carrier sat in my shed from my 78 260z

Any use ?

Thanks for the offer but I may have one.

Had a rumage around in the basement and found a 280zx and what I think is a 260z box. How do I identify the correct item I need? Is it just the carrier or do I need the bearing and arm aswell?

Have a look at this:

http://zclub.net/forum/240z-260z/10315-clutch-releast-bearing-sleeve.html

The 240Z clutch is 225mm in dia, the 280ZX (and some 260Zs I think, 2+2 ?) is 240mm. The 240mm clutch pressure plate although being a bigger clutch is shallower than the 225mm plate and therefore requires a longer release bearing carrier.

As always though check and measure your parts before making any decisions.

It sounds like the pushrod mod may work but the fork will be working at an incorrect angle and may alter the feel/operation of the clutch.

An elongated push rod is a crutch, not a solution - I'm not saying I've never done it, but it is not the right answer...

Rather than having the fun of removing the gearbox to change the Carrier, try making a slightly longer pushrod ( even 2mm longer makes a difference ) - you can make one from a long M8 bolt & round the ends to replicate the original.
Usually works.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to take the gearbox out tonight and swap it for a 280zx box while I'm about it. I'll compair the 2 carriers while its apart then deside if I need another one.

Removed the gearbox tonight and the carrier fitted is the same as the spare I have. Both measure 47mm total length including bearing. I assume this is the 240z one. So, I'm in need of a 280zx/260z one, that's longer than the one I have, pretty urgently. If anyone's got one for sale then please PM me. Ideally one they can post out tomorrow.

Thanks
John

Back