Chassis Support Advice

Huw

Club Member
Hi
I’ve got my 280ZX currently front end striped and chocked up on the chassis rails. However, I need to do some welding on the rails and it makes sense to scrape the underseal off to check the whole length while I’m at it. The car has no engine or running gear. Can anyone suggest the best point to support the car without stressing the chassis while I cut chunks out of the chassis rails?
Ta
Huw :unsure:

When I did my 240 I supported it on axle stands at the brackets where the compression rods fit i.e. bottom of the bulkhead.

Is a 280 similar in design, if so that should be a strong point? Like you I had my engine/gbox out so that should help avoid stress to the metalwork.

i used an engine lift and a chain through the bonnet catch panel on my 260z but what ever you do think safety first and make sure you have additional support under the car in case it might fall for what ever reason

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m not sure the 280 shell has the same hard points as the 240. I must admit I had not thought of suspending the shell. I could do similar and support the car on the gear box mounting brackets and suspension turrets. Having prodded about some more I have to remove a fair amount of chassis rail as its got pin holes along most of the length. Just when I thought I got all the rust…………..:(

Get some breeze blocks upended and rest it on them. Put a towel or something as padding so you don't scratch the car. They have nice large surface areas and spread the weight. Also with everything missing it will weight a lot less.

Well it’s now supported on axle stands under the gearbox mounting and large timbers into the front suspension turrets for bracing. It’s a little inelegant but seems okay and I’ve got some nice height for welding underneath. The little holes in the chassis rails turned into one big mess, still cleaned up okay. Just got to finish fabricating the new section.

Attachments

• Datpix_001.JPG
    Datpix_001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • Datpix_010.JPG
    Datpix_010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Datpix_012.JPG
    Datpix_012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Datpix_015.JPG
    Datpix_015.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
I know this thread is going on a bit. But just wanted to show off my finish chassis rail, kinda chuffed with it. :)
One thing tho, should there be a drain hole as the one I cut off did not have one? Niether has the other side.

Attachments

• ChasisLeg_003.JPG
    ChasisLeg_003.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • ChasisLeg_004.JPG
    ChasisLeg_004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Nice job Huw :thumbs:

Like you I've always found fabrication and welding very satisfying.

when you have done a nice job it does make you feel good :D there is just something nice about bending hitting and welding stuff

I know this thread is going on a bit. But just wanted to show off my finish chassis rail, kinda chuffed with it. :)
One thing tho, should there be a drain hole as the one I cut off did not have one? Niether has the other side.

i can not get your pictutres to go large but i do not think it will hurt to have a drain hole as this would be ideal for waxoyl,dinitrol etc rustproofing access hole/drain

its working now,yes a drain hole at the lowest point should be ok,nice welding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just curious what thickness steel did you use ??

For chassis work I've used 2mm, 14 guage I think it is. For inner wing stuff used 16 guage. Outer pannels used 18 guage. I'm no expert but it seemed like the right thing to use.

Back