Centre Console differences

JK240

Club Member
I have been offered a 240Z centre console in good nick and just wondered if there are any differences that will not let it fit into my 1974 260Z?

Cheers.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Presumably the seller can send you a photo and you compare it with that which you have..............lazy b*m !

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I have a vague recollection that the front attachment is different, but could be wrong.
If it turns out wrong, I have a decent 75 260z one I'm not using.

Mr.F

Inactive
240Z console will not fit a 260Z properly. They are shaped to meet up with the dashboard differently. 240Z has hinged cover over central fusebox. Switchgear all different. etc. etc.

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
Am I right also in thinking there's differences between the 240 ones too? Series one with the ashtray upfront and series 2 with the ashtray in the console??

Just thinking to myself mind..

Mr.F

Inactive
Early 240Z version only applies to a tiny handful of cars in the U.K.!! It has the cigarette lighter and ashtray in the front flip and the HRW switch nearer the middle. I have a replica one available new if anyone wants...(console only, no ashtray, inserts or flip lid)

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
Cool - thought so!

I think our series 1 centre console is ok, but useful to know there's an option for replacement if not! Trying to resolve cracks in the dash first though, and that just isn't fun!!

And those ashtray/lighter flip lids are just a nightmare! They go for $300+ in the US on ebay on occasions! Madness!!

neil240z

Club Member
Early 240Z version only applies to a tiny handful of cars in the U.K.!! It has the cigarette lighter and ashtray in the front flip and the HRW switch nearer the middle. I have a replica one available new if anyone wants...(console only, no ashtray, inserts or flip lid)

I may be lucky enough to be the owner of one of the ones in question dear Mike?

DSC00537.jpg

just took this photo on my lunch break :thumbs:

richiep

Club Member
My car is one of the "inbetween" models if you could call it that - an early-mid 71 car with the round 1/4 panel vents but originally the "series 1" centre console. When I bought it, it was fitted with the later 71-73 style console that had been bodged to fit. That remains on the car still but I have an earlier console that I am reconditioning to fit. Unfortunately, I am missing the elusive ashtray/lighter/fusebox lid and the switch panel...

Mr.F

Inactive
07/71 is the cut off for end of early console and start of the more familiar version (UK cars). If you had been vigilant on eBay a few months ago I sold three of those lids for a customer (one NEW). Needless to say they all went abroad...

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Richard,
All this "Series 1", "Series 2" stuff is an American invention, applied for convenience after the fact. Nissan themselves never used those terms for the cars concerned, and - as I think you probably already know - it certainly doesn't apply to the Japanese market models.

I might be able to help you with your search for the early ( 'Zenki' ) ashtray lid / lighter housing / fusebox lid and the switch panel / choke / hand throttle cover. I have some spares in storage.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If you had been vigilant on eBay a few months ago I sold three of those lids for a customer (one NEW). Needless to say they all went abroad...

Your 'customer' still owes me a console which was agreed to be traded for parts I supplied for his car ( which I presume are still attached to it now it has been sold ).

Still, what comes around goes around I guess.......

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
My car is one of the "inbetween" models if you could call it that - an early-mid 71 car with the round 1/4 panel vents but originally the "series 1" centre console. When I bought it, it was fitted with the later 71-73 style console that had been bodged to fit. That remains on the car still but I have an earlier console that I am reconditioning to fit. Unfortunately, I am missing the elusive ashtray/lighter/fusebox lid and the switch panel...

Craigs list (or whatever it's called) in the US and Canada..

Especially if you find someone breaking an earlier car, you can grab bits quite cheap unless they are forum members and think it's worth more than it probably is!!

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User

Pretty sure I have those but unfortunately my "series 1" centre console had been hacked up at the front. No idea why, some idiots about.

Pondo

Club Member

Reviving an old thread I know.......
my car is an 11/71, someone has fitted a dogleg gear stick at some point and when I change this back to a straight it catches on the console. I know some of the parts on my car are also found on the earlier cars and got me wondering if the consoles differ where the gear lever is?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
my car is an 11/71, someone has fitted a dogleg gear stick at some point and when I change this back to a straight it catches on the console. I know some of the parts on my car are also found on the earlier cars and got me wondering if the consoles differ where the gear lever is?

As an 11/71 production dated car it would have been originally fitted with an 'A' series transmission (likely an F4W71-A if a North American market model, or an FS5C71-A if a 'rest of the world' model) and these cars had different tunnel pressings than the Jan.'72-up production models. Putting a 'B'-series transmission into a car that was originally fitted with an 'A' series transmission can lead to interference problems.

What transmission is in the car now? I'm presuming 'A' series because those are the ones that had 'straight' sticks.

Last edited:

Pondo

Club Member
As an 11/71 production dated car it would have been originally fitted with an 'A' series transmission (likely an F4W71-A if a North American market model, or an FS5C71-A if a 'rest of the world' model) and these cars had different tunnel pressings than the Jan.'72-up production models. Putting a 'B'-series transmission into a car that was originally fitted with an 'A' series transmission can lead to interference problems.

What transmission is in the car now? I'm presuming 'A' series because those are the ones that had 'straight' sticks.
Tbh I don’t know.

That’s very interesting, yes mine is an American market model so I would think you are spot on with it having a B series transmission. Thanks that saves time wondering what might not be quite right. I’ll put the dogleg stick back on until I put in an S14 transmission.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

Reading this back, I think it might be worth clarifying the "straight stick" and "dogleg stick" terminology.

Usually the "straight stick" term refers to the *literally* straight gear levers used with an F4W71-A or FS5C71-A type gearbox. These were attached to the linkage - damped with a pair of cone-shaped rubber bushes - with a self-locking nut on the threaded end:

A-stick-1.jpg

Usually the "bent stick"/"dogleg stick" term refers to the various types of levers used with the F4W71-B, FS5W71-B, FS5C71-B and F5C71-B transmissions, which attached to the linkage using a pivot and fulcrum design, the pivot being a bushed clevis pin:

B-stick-1.jpg
So, the two types are - fundamentally - not interchangeable.

*Curve ball (there's always a catch!)... Some competition-related use included a bent straight stick; a version of the straight stick which brought it closer to hand for a reclined driving position, sometimes seen in 432-Rs, early Works rally cars and Works circuit race cars. For example:

Works 432-R Int.jpg