Calender - usefull?

johnymd

Club Member
Does anyone think the calender is of any use?. OK, so I know it's of no use and has none of the zcub events listed in it so I never look at it, but what about newcomers to the site. They may see the calender and think it is used to show events, so when they look and see no events they think it a boring web only club.

I think it should be used to promote the club and tell people when events are on that the zclub are attending or remove it ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Good point - tbh I've never looked at it so didn't realise it showed birthdays :eek:

Nidge74

New Forum User
If we are gonna use it we might wanna get rid of Birthdays, (no offence to anyone) but it makes it looks cluttered.

Perhaps a way to highlight events to differentiate from birthdays, make em stand out more.....

I'll take it on if you like

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
I use it all the time. Its next to my computer with all my event dates marked on it. In fact I really like it.

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
Ahh ... got you. Never knew it existed. Dump it lol :D

In all honesty, the birthdays are displayed anyway on the home screen, and the events are advertised in numerous banners and signatures. It serves no purpose what-so-ever in my opinion. I am a paid member and have a say so ... woo hoo! :D

Arkwright

Inactive
that's one of the advantages of being a member of a democratically run site. You can express your opinion and have a say in how it's run.

johnymd

Club Member
Yes, its the calender on the web site front page. I actually don't want to see it go because I think it "could" be of great use. The birthdays need to go and it should hilight ALL the events. Searching for events in peoples sigs in not a good method of finding out what is on in the coming weekend! Mike includes a list of the months events in his newsletter which is very helpfull but it would be nice to see it on the website for everyone's benefit.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
that's one of the advantages of being a member of a democratically run site. You can express your opinion and have a say in how it's run.

Glad you said that Derek,

I vote to bin it as its a waste of money, all the info is on the web site, why double up?

Don't post me one out and i'll take the reduction in subs insted..:p

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Rollocks - it's a benign dictatorship - ask The Captain !

You can express your opinion..........you can have a say so.........but it's run how it's run whether you like it or not - don't delude yourselves !:D

Like most things, if it's well exploited - keep it - if it's to say we have one and/or for show - drop ,it and allow us to download the page quicker !

And remove Grolls from the Christmas card list.:p

chesterfield

Active Forum User
I agree - if there is a calendar on the portal/main page, it should list the meets and events taking place that the club is involved with. We have had the same issue on the 350 site for a while, and have tried various different things to ensure that the events/shows being attended are easily discoverable by guests and members alike.

No matter how many announcements and posts are put up, you will still get people asking a couple of days before the event "are you going to this one", or a couple of days after the event saying "I wish I had known about this". etc etc...

Short of putting the meets on the calendar and having big flashing neon graphics and message boxes annoying every visitor to the site about checking the calendar, I dont know what can be done to catch everyones attention. But getting them listed in the calendar is certainly a start.

We actually removed peoples birthdays from the events calendar, and kept them seperate so as not to clutter up the calendar itself with birthdays which may cause meetings or shows to be overlooked.

Hope that helps :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I never got one, see bloody favourtism from the off!!!

Favouritism ! Proper little Pilotes' pet eh ? I've been here 5 years - they only 'ung me up the right way yesterday.....he must think the sun shines outa your.....

Rob - he doesn't know what day of the week it is - not surprising as he keeps it locked away in a drawer.....to cunningly sell it on ebay in 30 years as a pristine Z collectors' item !

Yep - drop the birthdays - who cares how old we are ?