Cad plating

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Just got back my items cad plated
The company did not advice on coating any items like door strikers which have plastic attached
Has any one had items like door sticker done without removing the plastic ? Did the process attack the plastic ?
Now all I have to do is work out which bolt goes where lol

edb2f42a9b09dac9b4951032fa27aaf3_zpssopmr3i9.jpg

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I have questioned having stuff plated that had plastic bits attached. I got the reply "well the tanks plastic that holds the solution ". So... so far no problems.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I thought Cadmium plating was only allowed for essentially aerospace applications. Are they really Cadmium plated or is it a substitute process.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Haa I always refer to the finish as cad (old school) think these new finish is zinc but with that gold/yellow original look.
I was thinking of taking a gamble on trying a few items with plastic attached.
I chucked pretty much every rusty nut / bolt that came off the car into a bucket and they have come back like new
Had some other bigger items like bonnet hinges ,pipes,etc done as well the lot came to £70

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterAllen

Well-Known Forum User
I thought Cadmium plating was only allowed for essentially aerospace applications. Are they really Cadmium plated or is it a substitute process.

I agree. I suspect that is zinc plating with Yellow/Gold passivate finish. Cad plating has been banned for years down here and I'd be sure your Pommie O,H & Elf laws would be similar.

The good news is, there is no need to remove plastic/rubber fittings (nor springs) as the temperature during the process does not exceed 60 degrees C. The process actually transforms the appearance of the nylon striker block to new.

You can have either the 'Yellow/Gold' finish or a 'Silver' finish.

Here are some door latch components I had plated with the 'Silver' finish. It is brighter than the OEM 'galvanising' finish probably due to the different manner the zinc was applied compared to the original mass production technique.

Door%20latch%202s_zpsrk8ny1cs.jpg

johnymd

Club Member
I had thought about getting suspension parts done. I got a bucket load done in 2006 when I did the blue car. The bonnet hinges still look great.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have had stuff plated before with plastic on and they was fine and I had all the door lock mechanisms done on my yellow car and it all came up like new.

Huw

Club Member
I've had no problems with plastic parts in the plating process. I had the brake reservoir caps with the fluid level sensors in them done in yellow zinc as a bit of an experiment. They came back fine and the fluid sensor worked after the process.

toopy

Club Member
Whats the expected longevity of these types of coatings/plating compared to say, stainless steel?

johnymd

Club Member
The alternatives to cad are good but if you scratch or remove some of the coating, the steel will rust. With cad it's less likely as its a sacreficial coating.