Bonnet Paint, Black

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all. I've currently got a glass fibre bonnet on my 240Z and the paint on it isn't great. I've always liked the look of those black bonnets.

Can anybody tell me the best way to paint it up? Which products to use, the order and method. I would like a sort of matt/satin look.

If anyone can help I'd be very appretiative!

Matt

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
you need to be a bit more specific ,whats wrong with the paint on the bonnet and what type of paint is on it ie polly,2 pac or celly

Arkwright

Inactive
Moggy, if you don't know what paint was used to spray it, is it possible to tell which it is amongst the three you mention?

Hugh Myers

Well-Known Forum User
I have an unopened 1 litre tin of Satin Black cellulose, if anyone wants to pick it up from Southampton area.

Hugh

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Basically the car is silver and the bonnet is a sort of matt silvery grey with some patches that are different. So, in short at the moment it looks bollocks! haha. I don't know what type of paint is on it already. I know nothing about fibre glass except repairing boats huh.

Lets suppose I took it right down.

Matt

Zed-the-red

Well-Known Forum User
Basically the car is silver and the bonnet is a sort of matt silvery grey with some patches that are different. So, in short at the moment it looks bollocks! haha. I don't know what type of paint is on it already. I know nothing about fibre glass except repairing boats huh.

Lets suppose I took it right down.

Matt

You want to paint the bonnet. Correct. Rub it down. get to the gel coat layer. then look for crazing in the gel coat. If there is some then it will need repairing. I used some fine tissue and gel / resin. it depends on how bad the cracks are really. Wait for it to cure then rub it down and primer it up and paint it. If you are doing it at home then celulose or if you have the equipment use 2 pack.. As the bonnet is essential a plastic why not consider some of the paint they use on bumpers etc that will not crack as its flexible? tips learned from my reliant scimitar days:rolleyes:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Or get it carbon fibre wrapped by Funkyboogaloo. On a silver 240 that'll look great (in my opinion). He's very competitive and very, very good at it! By the time you've faffed about and got paint or paid someone else it'd probably be about the same cost (or less). Just post up pics once you've got it done (whatever you decide).

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Or get it carbon fibre wrapped by Funkyboogaloo. On a silver 240 that'll look great (in my opinion). He's very competitive and very, very good at it! By the time you've faffed about and got paint or paid someone else it'd probably be about the same cost (or less). Just post up pics once you've got it done (whatever you decide).

great idea jak !!!!!

or if you still wanted to paint it ,i would rub it down with 1000 wet & dry paper and get a couple of aerosol cans of satin black,clean the bonnet and then hang it up so it is vertical as this will keep crap and overspray to a minimum ,but try a corner first ,leave for 5 - 10 mins or till dry just to make sure the satin black will not react to the old paint.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for that simple advice! I'll follow that I think. It's only going to stay on for the summer anyway I think. Do you have a particular product in mind? I don't suppose Plasticote Satin Black is the right stuff to use.

Cheers

Matt

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
never used Plasticote so i do not know but try it could be ok or go to your local motor parts supplier as they should have Comma or Simoniz and its about £3-4 a tin.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers for that, I've got some fine ish grade emery and two cans of Carplan Satin Black. Hopefully that'll do it. If not, never mind. Nothing ventured nothing gained eh.

Cheers.

Matt

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
i've uploaded a picture of my newly sprayed bonnet but don't know how to add it to this post. it's in my gallery.

Cheers for the help chaps

Matt