Avg security

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
I keep getting reminders that my free trial AVG security expires shortly and I will have to purchase to update. Given that I have had it free for at least 10 years I wondered if anyone else is getting the same message or is it just a con?

They've still got a free version, but they try to get you to use the paid version at every turn. I guess you or someone inadvertently followed a path that installed a trial of the paid version.
Uninstall it and start again with the free version. And on every page make sure you're still going for the free version.

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download

These days I would say that none of the small/free virus protection is up to the job. I had to get rid of my last laptop after it was turbo f***ed by a sophisticated virus. Had a Macbook Pro now a couple of years and no dramas. They seem to be less vulnerable to viruses but also all those little hang ups that PC's have.

Just my two cents of course.

They're all only as good as their virus signature database, which means you're always vulnerable to an attack they haven't dealt with yet. The best defence is to pay attention to what you're doing and heed the warnings that the computer tries to give you about installing untrusted software. And don't give children admin privileges, 'cos they NEVER read the warnings.

There are a lot more viruses around these days for Mac too - they're not inherently safer than (modern) Windows, just that there's more bang for your buck authoring for Windows.

IMO, of course.

I'm not a lover of any of the free antivirus software or most of the pay for ones for that matter. They have all become intrusive and demanding of system resources. I use Eset nod32 or endpoint and found it to be the best on the market. It does cost nearly £20 a year though (after the £30 first year). Recently had to search for a free av for an old pc and found panda cloud to be pretty good.

I used to like avg (around 6 years ago) but its now become too big and demanding to recommend.

I too used AVG for years until about a year ago when i read a review on free antivirus software, which said it was now very resource hungry.

Avast is apparently just as good and far less demanding :)

I'm using Comodo at the moment (the free version). It's a very light app and doesn't eat resources like a lot of them do. Also, it comes with PrivDog which warns you about malware on websites as well as DNS protection just in case...

Back