air box fitting tips

tel240z

Club Member
Can it be done? thats fit an air box to weber 45s, seems a dumb question but who's done it all will be revealed ;)

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Don't I remember that Mr F announced the supply of a very nice Carbon Fibre Air Box kit just recently ?

Looked the business though I haven't seen one in the flesh, so to speak.

Also, it looks like Mr Skiddell is trying to tell you something more but is too shy to reveal all.....

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Bolt ons every time....50 - 65 mm at the most

Oh and just for info (anyone using triples) running open ram pipes is Baaaaaddddddd news, all that dust and crap is pulled into your loverly shiney engine, mixes with the oil on the bores, forms a brilliant grinding paste and quickly changes your compression ratio. Also screws up your mixture with reflected pulses and high engine temps.

Sean said:
Just don't forget to fasten down the screws inside.............
all screws and nuts within the sucking range of those trumpets need carefull consideration, the reason I re-designed the original "sausage" airbox to begin with was that the rivets the yanks had used, worked loose and got sucked into the engine, forcing a valve to stay open and crashing it into a piston.

Or maybe you were refering to something else Sean

tel240z

Club Member
''bolt ons every time'' so i need not listen to the man at the weber shop telling me that bolt ons are ok for 40s but not for 45s he says the internal diameter of the bolt ons is smaller than 45mm :confused: cant use the slide in ones because wouldn't be able to clamp them in unless i made special lipped washers to go down the edge of the air box back plate around the trumpets

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 43

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
all screws and nuts within the sucking range of those trumpets need carefull consideration, the reason I re-designed the original "sausage" airbox to begin with was that the rivets the yanks had used, worked loose and got sucked into the engine, forcing a valve to stay open and crashing it into a piston.

Or maybe you were refering to something else Sean
No, I'm not s*it-stirring matey ; Sylvain here had a s/steel screw loose (pardon the expression) - error of fitting the box and got off VERY lightly. Whatever 'glue' he used on them broke down in the heat and with petrol vapours so I'd prefer that any new used be aware not to treat them lightly.

I too never understand these 'macho' engines with open shiny trumpets - looks great when parked up - driving with six un-filtered vacuum cleaners fills me with dread !:eek:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Don't I remember that Mr F announced the supply of a very nice Carbon Fibre Air Box kit just recently ?

Looked the business though I haven't seen one in the flesh, so to speak.

Also, it looks like Mr Skiddell is trying to tell you something more but is too shy to reveal all.....

Duncan you have got your wires a little bit crossed here.
Let me explain..........

many moons ago Mr Skiddell bought an airbox from one of Uncle Sam's men
In true Uncle Sam fashion the item was not really up to scratch ......
so... mr Skiddell modified and adapted it and made a new one with the help of a friend who is experienced in moulding. He also had a few made and sold them with a little help on occasion from me.
Currently Mr Skiddell is so busy and so am I that the whole business was passed on to Mr F. His own fibre glass contacts have made new molds and Mr F now markets them . I also can sell them by agreement with Mr F;):bow:
They are not available in carbon fibre but in high quality black fibreglass with a woven finish

here is one I (had) made earlier:D

Attachments

• sep 2009 062 (Large).jpg
    sep 2009 062 (Large).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 76

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
There you are, Guys, I knew it would all come out !

Great Advertising stunt, wasn't it - almost like we planned it.......

Seriously, they are the business for sorting out the Triple Carbs setup, & I don't know why anyone would want to fit the separate ones ( K&N's or similar ) when these are available.

tel240z

Club Member
Getting there, the blue ones what iv'e been looking for, slides into the carb and clamps the the airbox plate to the carb face :cool:

unlike the silver one :):)

Attachments

• d4060s.jpg
    d4060s.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 15
  • W4545B.jpg
    W4545B.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 24

Mr Ex

Inactive
Bolt ons every time....50 - 65 mm at the most

Oh and just for info (anyone using triples) running open ram pipes is Baaaaaddddddd news, all that dust and crap is pulled into your loverly shiney engine, mixes with the oil on the bores, forms a brilliant grinding paste and quickly changes your compression ratio. Also screws up your mixture with reflected pulses and high engine temps.

Mr Ex

Inactive
So that'll be you then Mr Ex.

English (Britain, Australia, America) Yes
English (America) [informal] Yeah
English (United States) [informal] Yup
English [Strine dialect] (Australia) Air
English [Texan] (Texas United States) Ya
English [old English] (old Britain) Giese
English [old English] (old Britain) Gea
English [old English] (old Britain) Yea
:D:driving::cool:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe they look better?

So, your saying the all in one filter box looks worse that a set of K&N's ok fair enough but a little subjective dont you think........but which one works better or doesnt that matter, clearly not.

Mr Ex
Your point is........:confused:

Wyn

Club Member
So, your saying the all in one filter box looks worse that a set of K&N's ok fair enough but a little subjective dont you think........but which one works better or doesnt that matter, clearly not.

Clearly not?
I assume you're saying a box works better then k&n's no matter what - every time?
Be it for a stock road engine with triples or a race engine, or somewhere in between?
I find that hard to believe