A break from Zs but not Nissans.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok, not earth shattering news but I've bought a secondhand X Trail today.

I needed the practicality of this type of vehicle and what better than Nissan? Range Rover would have been nice but I couldn't justify it.

So I'm looking forward to a nice comfy ride, taking the grandkids out, not worrying about kerbs, potholes, parking on grass, how to carry the shopping home etc etc.

Am I getting old?

Renault engine but then so is the 370's.

Basically the fun I can have with it with grandkids, watching my lads at downhill biking and triathlon events, our summer break with the family in the Lakes etc etc is worth it.

Last week I did some patio work at home and carrying sand, cement, bricks in my 370 was awkward. I looked after it but it didn't seem right!

Vehicles like this that have the capacity to be all things to all men are great - you just don't have to worry about any scenarios ... take half the garden down the tip - no problems, move a washing machine for a mate - be delighted, couple of bikes in the back for the weekend - gobbles 'em up.

Yes, you're getting old, cos you're now prepared for anything ...

I've got a series 3 Toyota surf, to keep the Toyota engine theme in the zed, and can't bring myself to part with it. Don't use it very often but it was invaluable today, picking up my youngest from uni with all her stuff.

Sell the 370 and one of your 240's. Keep the other one and the utility vehicle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Rob get quite a few of these come through the door with inter-cooler leaks and rear diffs blowing up also notorious for serpentine belts screaming , mind you though all the manufactures have there problems

I bought a Pathfinder a few months ago as I needed a family wagon, and something with enough space to carry all the kids' stuff without struggling to squeeze it all in. With the back seats down it's bloody huge and great for the tip run too.

Witch year is it Rob? Early 2.2 or the later/Bigger 2 litre ones?

Stick a picture up then.

Witch year is it Rob? Early 2.2 or the ......Bigger 2 litre ones?

I love it..., these'll be the big-bore gas-flowed 2 litres will they ?:rolleyes:

Times have moved on from bus-stops in Essex, any old 4x4'll do now but at least the heaters work.:D

So Rob, you'd ditch the stock 240Z for some old fashioned gut-fun ?:confused:

So Rob, you'd ditch the stock 240Z for some old fashioned gut-fun ?:confused:

Sean I'm going to sell the 370Z, however I only really have space for one 240Z and if I've got a mundane 4x4 then the blue 240Z is the one to keep. We'll see.

So I contacted Saga (yes I'm old) today about insuring the X Trail.

I was expecting a rebate because the X Trail is in Gp 32 (out of 50) and the 370Z is in Gp 46.

'Oh no sir it will be more expensive'

After a heated discussion they also advised me that there would be a £50 cancellation fee on the policy if I decided to change insurer.

I phoned my 240Z insurer and they said yes 4 wheel drive cars can be expensive to insure. So I asked what the purpose of the insurance grouping was - no proper answer came back.

Anyone had similar issues with 4x4s?

Obviously 'old' people and big, heavy 4x4s are statisically more likely to incur serious accidents.

Buy an L28T Patrol and stick it on classic insurance.

Obviously 'old' people and big, heavy 4x4s are statisically more likely to incur serious accidents.

Buy an L28T Patrol and stick it on classic insurance.

Sean, I'm thinking (rightly or wrongly) that women buy 4x4s and they might be a teeny bit clumsy. However my question is why doesn't the Insurance Grouping reflect the loading? Also you don't see many women driving X Trails.

I'll get some quotes on the 'compare' sites today and see if it's the same across companies..

Patrol - probably a sensible idea but this is my daily driver and I also wanted ISOfix.

Attachments

• IMG_4571.JPG
    IMG_4571.JPG
    808.9 KB · Views: 22
My Toyota surf was always expensive to insure, before I grouped it with the rest of the fleet. I was paying around £250-£300.

Sean, I'm thinking (rightly or wrongly) that women buy 4x4s and they might be a teeny bit clumsy. However my question is why doesn't the Insurance Grouping reflect the loading? Also you don't see many women driving X Trails.

I'll get some quotes on the 'compare' sites today and see if it's the same across companies..

Patrol - probably a sensible idea but this is my daily driver and I also wanted ISOfix.

Women drive fewer miles so are less prone to have an accident.....even if they have more than men, the quantity of accidents per year is less.....not really fair but then what is ?

Next, look at the accident/theft rate for your specific vehicle - perhaps not sex-related at all....?
Frankly, not a very sexy :Dcar but I do uberstand wanting the Isofix points - available on cars from 2000 ?

Back