280zx alternator required

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi
Urgent, Need a 280ZX alternator to upgrade 260z as old one is on the way out.
Needs to be known good or reconnditioned.
Andrew
:cheers:

AndyMinto

Inactive
Hi,
What is the Amperage of that? I only ask as the one on the Turbo was higher and I may need one for the latter.

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Andy
The one I have ordered is 69amps, the one you need is 80 I think but they will be aviliable I think in a previous post on this thread I have mentioned a company making them.
Andrew

Hi,
What is the Amperage of that? I only ask as the one on the Turbo was higher and I may need one for the latter.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Remember guys if you contact Martin at Superstart ask him about the 20% discount that was in place for subscribed Z Club members
You would need to go to http://zclub.net/forum/discount-codes/13159-20%-discount-code-club-members.html to obtain the code to quote to them to obtain your discount

Not a bad deal if still current as if you spent £75 and got a 20% discount what does that equate to
Oh that is £15 and that covers club membership for the year
Not to shabby at all

andrew muir

Club Member
I got the discount Steve, membership has paid for itself already!!
Andrew:)

Remember guys if you contact Martin at Superstart ask
him about the 20% discount that was in place for subscribed Z Club members
You would need to go to http://zclub.net/forum/discount-codes/13159-20%-discount-code-club-members.html to obtain the code to quote to them to obtain your discount

Not a bad deal if still current as if you spent £75 and got a 20% discount what does that equate to
Oh that is £15 and that covers club membership for the year
Not to shabby at all

andrew muir

Club Member
Regulater bypass plug help!!

Need help with the configuration of these damm jumpers and diode, so much info seems to be wrong or not for UK spec 260z.
I have the rectangle plug on the old regulator.

Am I right in thinking

The S (sense) the yellow wire and should be jumpered to the thick red/white wire (charge wire)? constant 12v?
The L (lamp) the white/blk wire to either the 1 or 6 blue wires which I think are switched 12v supplies.

The diode should be wired with the strip to the 1 or 6 (blue wires) switched 12vsupply.

Is this correct??
:confused::confused:
Andrew

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds about right. If you connect Pin 5 to Pin 6 then you should also put a resistor (40-45 ohm, rated 3W or greater) inline along with the diode to stop the alternator excitor circuit from drawing too much current, if you connect Pin 5 to Pin 1 instead then you shouldn't need to.

The reason for that is Pin 1 goes through the charge lamp (if you have one) to the ignition +12v whereas Pin 6 goes straight to the ignition +12v.

The strip on the diode should face Pin 5

(Pin 1)---------------->|--------------(Pin 5)
(Pin 2)---------------------------------(Pin 3)

or

(Pin 6)------------|43 ohm|------------>|--------------(Pin 5)
(Pin 2)-----------------------------------------------------(Pin 3)

andrew muir

Club Member
Thanks Ian
At last some clarification.
I believe you have done this modification yourself.
I take it it all works ok etc (eg no side effects)
Many thanks
Andrew
:thumbs:

Sounds about right. If you connect Pin 5 to Pin 6 then you should also put a resistor (40-45 ohm, rated 3W or greater) inline along with the diode to stop the alternator excitor circuit from drawing too much current, if you connect Pin 5 to Pin 1 instead then you shouldn't need to.

The reason for that is Pin 1 goes through the charge lamp (if you have one) to the ignition +12v whereas Pin 6 goes straight to the ignition +12v.

The strip on the diode should face Pin 5

(Pin 1)---------------->|--------------(Pin 5)
(Pin 2)---------------------------------(Pin 3)

or

(Pin 6)------------|43 ohm|------------>|--------------(Pin 5)
(Pin 2)-----------------------------------------------------(Pin 3)

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
No worries, I had to do the resistor version as my engine loom was missing the wire to Pin 1 for some reason, everything works great (only tested briefly though). I had a multimeter hooked up and it showed the 280zx alternator charging right from the turn of the key.

Good luck with it, but make sure you check for smoke as soon as you turn the ignition on :)

andrew muir

Club Member
Does the Handbrake light count, as this lights up until car is started. Is this in place of a separate charge light?
Or do I need to put the resistor in?
Andrew

No worries, I had to do the resistor version as my engine loom was missing the wire to Pin 1 for some reason, everything works great (only tested briefly though). I had a multimeter hooked up and it showed the 280zx alternator charging right from the turn of the key.

Good luck with it, but make sure you check for smoke as soon as you turn the ignition on :)

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The handbrake light is on its own circuit so you'd still need the resistor if you use Pin 6.

Out of interest does your loom have Pin 1 connected? I take it you have no charge light, not sure if there is a resistor on that wire somewhere if there isn't a charge light, I don't have a circuit diagram for a UK spec car and iirc the US version has that wire routed through the interlock system.

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi
The hand brake light goes out once engine runs so must have something to do with ignition as well?
I do have pin 1 connected so wondering if this goes to handbrake lamp?

Andrew

The handbrake light is on its own circuit so you'd still need the resistor if you use Pin 6.

Out of interest does your loom have Pin 1 connected? I take it you have no charge light, not sure if there is a resistor on that wire somewhere if there isn't a charge light, I don't have a circuit diagram for a UK spec car and iirc the US version has that wire routed through the interlock system.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Did it do that before you changed the voltage regulator wiring?
The handbrake light gets power from the IGN +12v but that should be constant once the car is started :confused:

Which year is your car? Mine is an early '74 and the handbrake light works whether the car is running or not, not sure if that changes with later models but I don't know why it would.

andrew muir

Club Member
Sorry Ian
Please take me out and shoot me!!
I have just started the car and low and behold I do have a charge light.
Its on the volt meter. It goes out ok and the present alternator is working ok but seems to have an issue once heated up with headlights.
So will put jumper from L to pin 1.
I spoke to an auto electrician earlier who said that the sense should be going to a switched 12v pin 6?? This would resolve the running on issue!
So no need of diode?
What do you reckon.
Andrew

Did it do that before you changed the voltage regulator wiring?
The handbrake light gets power from the IGN +12v but that should be constant once the car is started :confused:

Which year is your car? Mine is an early '74 and the handbrake light works whether the car is running or not, not sure if that changes with later models but I don't know why it would.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The thing i would worry about is that there might be voltage drop from the switched +12v which might cause the alternator to overcharge the battery.