260z SU problem.

JH1

Forum User
For the last week I've been trying to setup the carbs after an on going problem with stalling.

The problem with the 260z beforehand is it would drive for about a mile and then would start stalling (power completley goes especally on hills). It would usually end up with me coming to a stop in the middle of nowhere. (I've copped now that it probably wasn't the carbs :eek:)

I took apart the SUs and cleaned all the parts, topped up the oil and bolted it back together. When i tried to tune it, the engine would rev extremly high unless i completely backed off the choke where it would suddenly cut out. One carb seems to be lifting while the other stays down when reving high. Also after a few seconds before cutting out it would backfire out the carbs. There was no middle gound to get a resonable idle for warming up.

I had the fast idle screws backed off.
The balance screw backed off.
The fuel mix adjust set at 2 turns (closed them completely, still the same).

Any ideas on what could be causing the high reving at idle? Any ideas how to fix to get a resonable idle?

Two guesses (I've no experience of 260s):

The first fault of losing power after a mile or so may be fuel filter blockage - had that on my 240 a few times (very fine rust particals from petrol tank).

One carb running fast may be an air leak i.e. the throttle is not controlling the mixture volume, air is being sucked in after the butterfly. Just a thought.

I know nothing about su's so no help im afraid.......are they flat top's or round top's?

Is that your car thats on adverts by any chance?

Just put the carbs back together after re-doing the gaskets after the butterfly valve. Idling fine now. - Thanks Rob

The carbs are round tops and its the one up for sale on adverts. - Jay

Going to have a crack at tuning her in now with an air flow meter.

Attachments

• Datsun 1.jpeg
    Datsun 1.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 24
Back