240Z Wheels

Project Z

Forum User
Hi, looking for PCD & offset sizes for a 240Z?

Basically trying to figure out if 17"x7" wheels with stud diameter of 114.3 and offset of 40 will fit?

I tried to find previous posts on original wheel sizes and offset etc but could find a post,

any help/advice would be much appreciated?

richiep

Club Member
PCD is 114.3. An offset is 40 is a very modern fitment. Standard fitment for a Z is ET0 or close on 7" wheels.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
I have a set of Boyd Coddington 17" wheels advertised in the classifieds on here, custom built for the car in the photo they fit under std arch & in my opinion they are one of the best set of wheels I have ever seen fitted to a 240/260 Z obviously the centres can be do to the colour of your taste.

toopy

Club Member
A 40mm positive offset is unlikely to work as the rear of the wheel will be much closer to the suspension uprights.
Also with cars designed to use a zero or as close to this as possible offset, the steering turns the wheel directly in the centre, if you shift this too far either with positive or negative offset it can adversely affect the steering and handling.
Try to imagine where the hub is bolted to the wheel, looking down from directly above the wheel, and as you turn the steering the pivot point, with a big positive or negative offset is now in the wrong place.

Project Z

Forum User
Thanks Richiep, so I'm guessing with a offset of 40 (positive) i'd need spacers?

Nice Wheels but I have my eye on some 5 spokes :)

toopy

Club Member
A 40mm positive offset is unlikely to work as the rear of the wheel will be much closer to the suspension uprights.
Ideally you want zero or a little negative offset to keep the wider wheel/tyre away from the suspension

Last edited by a moderator:

richiep

Club Member
There is no "original" about the slot mags - they were aftermarket add-ons. However (pedant mode off!), typically they are 14x6.5 or 14x7, with ET0.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think my 17" wheels are a 40 offset or similar. I have a big spacer I got with them - not surprisingly the spacers are about 40mm.

richiep

Club Member
No problem. The most typical sizes on S30Zs are 14-16", 7-8" width, ET0 or close to it. Few use wheels with significant positive offsets, because, like Jon, it requires big spacers. It can also look odd stylistically for the car. Negative offsets are more common, particularly when used in combination with trimmed arches and the rivet-on "overfenders"/flares (e.g. Watanabe R Type sizes like 15/16 x 8.5 ET-6 front, 15/16 x 9.5 ET-19 rear).

For standard arches and suspension, you need to be somewhat more conservative though and check out factors like tyre size and profile if deviating from the typical options above.

Project Z

Forum User
That's for the info, much appreciated.

Basically I'm after two sets of wheels...

1. a set of Wolfrace Slot Mags to be fitted to car on the original suspension
&
2. A set of the wheels which are on the 240 in the attached photo... I think these may be Watanabe? I'd like these with my 240 with it lowered,

I'm not looking to extend/flare my arches, as cool as it looks I'd like to always be able to revert back to original.

Any advice/help with sourcing Slot Mags & the wheels in attached photo would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Attachments

• 240 Black Wheels.png
    240 Black Wheels.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 52

richiep

Club Member
Slot mags are easy to find. People here may have some and there are always plenty on eBay.

The pictured wheels are Watanabe R Types. Worth noting that a set will cost you circa £2000 these days... A lookalike alternative for £500ish per set are the Rota RKRs. Very (deliberately) similar, usually available in 15x8 ET0 or 15x9 ET0. TBH, I'd go for the Rotas unless looking for the big negative offsets and greater choice that only genuine Wats offer. A few here have the Rotas and are happy with them.

That particular car (in the Philippines) is running Wats in sizes normally requiring arch flares - 16x8.5 -6 and 16x9.5 -19. The arches will be rolled, it'll have coilovers on a hard setting and a bunch of negative camber, and skinny stretched tyres for that to work.

johnymd

Club Member
I could have sworn that was the Philippines car. I have a picture of it on the dashboard of my van and look at it every day.

richiep

Club Member
So it wasn't just me then!

Either way, 16x8 and above, care is needed in tyre sizing (and brand, given variances), arch rolling, and suspension setup.