240z wanted

Davnmands

Forum User
I’m looking to buy a 240z,I don’t want a restoration project I would like one I can use and improve on year by year,I would prefer a uk model but I will consider a lhd.
Must be a solid example
I have cash waiting for the right car.
Please message me with full details of what you have.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So you're looking at about £25k minimum for LHD. What's your budget?

status

Well-Known Forum User
25k wouldn’t buy mine if that’s roughly your budget but you will get a decent 240/260 for that or maybe a bit more and RHD ,you just have to be patient,where are you based might be worth comparing both if poss

Davnmands

Forum User
So you're looking at about £25k minimum for LHD. What's your budget?
I’d rather not state my budget,if someone offers me one I would consider it if it in my budget and is the sort of thing I’m looking for,one mans idea of “very good condition”and “wants for nothing” aren’t always the same as the next mans

Davnmands

Forum User
25k wouldn’t buy mine if that’s roughly your budget but you will get a decent 240/260 for that or maybe a bit more and RHD ,you just have to be patient,where are you based might be worth comparing both if poss
I’m based in South Yorkshire

johnymd

Club Member
"What's your budget" is the first thing you should consider with anything your looking at buying. For example: you wouldn't start looking for a new home without considering how much you want to spend.

From your description of the type on car your looking for it gives us all a ballpark figure in our heads as to how much you will need to spend. You are asking for our help in suggesting a suitable car so to prevent us from wasting our time you will need to give us some idea as to how much you want to spend. The prices mentioned above are accurate indications of the amount you will need to pay to get a car that fits in with your description but I'll try and elaborate a little.

240z, rust free, not fully restored but usable with everything working, RHD original car - £28k-£38k
As above but converted from LHD to RHD - £23k-£28k
As above but still LHD - £19k-£25k

The above cars may still need bits doing to them and will require maintenance parts replaced in the future. Comparable 260/280's will be a little less for similar cars and may be in better condition. Project cars are now in the £10k-£15k range but will end up costing more than the above in the long run. The general rule of thumb with these and many other classics is buy the best shell you can to save money in the long run. All the other parts for these cars are cheap by comparison. I have bought a lot of zeds over the last few year and the majority of them have been non runners that have sat for a while. Getting them back on the road with all new service components usually costs less than a couple of grand whereas rust repairs can run into many thousands. This is why I try to only buy solid car that have never been repaired.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck with your search.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
240z, rust free, not fully restored but usable with everything working, RHD original car - £28k-£38k
As above but converted from LHD to RHD - £23k-£28k
As above but still LHD - £19k-£25k

I was thinking about the lime green LHD that just sold at auction for circa. £25k - pretty much completely restored with a few bits to tidy which sounds like what he's after - have you seen any RHD examples recently that are similar?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I would have a proper look at a few cars if possible before buying one. That will give you a better idea of what you will getting.

johnymd

Club Member
I guess I may have a different idea of fully restored. Rebuilt and replace every item that may wear. Engine, gearbox, full drivetrain, including rebuilt driveshafts with all new joints. New servo and fully rebuilt/replaced calipers. New or as new interior. All electrical components and wiring rebuilt/replaced. All new nut/bolts/hardware. Etc, etc and the list goes on. I’m not knocking the green car as it is superb but it not a FULL restoration. Ask these simple questions if some says full restoration: all synchros in gearbox replaced? All uj’s replaced? Engine had a full rebuild?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I guess I may have a different idea of fully restored. Rebuilt and replace every item that may wear. Engine, gearbox, full drivetrain, including rebuilt driveshafts with all new joints. New servo and fully rebuilt/replaced calipers. New or as new interior. All electrical components and wiring rebuilt/replaced. All new nut/bolts/hardware. Etc, etc and the list goes on. I’m not knocking the green car as it is superb but it not a FULL restoration. Ask these simple questions if some says full restoration: all synchros in gearbox replaced? All uj’s replaced? Engine had a full rebuild?

I would guess not many cars comply with that John.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm thinking that 'not a restoration project' means - looks decent outside, interior in good condition, drives and handles well, doesn't need any welding or immediate rust treatment? My guesses for those would be:

LHD £25k (Lime car) - £50-60k (Something like a DCW / Fourways full restoration, not that I've seen one for sale)

RHD £35k (There are a couple that look ok on FB Marketplace) - £70-80k (Full Fourways etc resto)

These are mostly just guesses though, when was the last time a fully nut-and-bolt restored car came up for sale?

Last edited:

status

Well-Known Forum User
Can have mine for 45 k Rebello powered and loadsa other bits done,sounds like a bargain considering wot other people are asking for Zeds,so who’s gonner pay that then,I’m waiting

I'm thinking that 'not a restoration project' means - looks decent outside, interior in good condition, drives and handles well, doesn't need any welding or immediate rust treatment? My guesses for those would be:

LHD £25k (Lime car) - £50-60k (Something like a DCW / Fourways full restoration, not that I've seen one for sale)

RHD £35k (There are a couple that look ok on FB Marketplace) - £70-80k (Full Fourways etc resto)

These are mostly just guesses though, when was the last time a fully nut-and-bolt restored car came up for sale?

Neil on here does proper rebuilds. he'll be able to say what they sell for.

Robotsan

Club Member

Do you have links to the couple of RHD cars you mentioned on FB marketplace? I assume the red restomod one for £45k is one, but what's the other? I'm never sure if FB lets me see all the cars that are out there! Cheers.

Robotsan

Club Member

That's the one! I assumed it had been sold as it no longer appears in my results when I search! That is the perfect car for me. Love them in silver.

But the price seems a little high to me now, as it's an L28 engine swap and is modded a tad. I guess if that's the original mileage then that's appealing. The other silver one with the turbo swap that's on Historics is half the price. And while it's LHD, it would still be nowhere near £32k after conversion. Plus it has similar upgrades like BBK. Maybe it's a lot tattier in the flesh, I don't know.