240Z vs 260Z Rear Lights

Tyree

Active Forum User
Hi

I've just bought a Datsun Fairlady imported from the US and have hit upon something which has confused me a little bit, its got 260Z rear lights! Are they and 240Z lights interchangeable or would a 260 back end have been fitted to the car, and if so then would the number plate trim also be 260Z or will a 240Z trim fit with the 260Z lights?

Be grateful for someone's input.

Thanks
Paul

Basically is it as simple as just changing the lights back to 240Z lights to restore it back to original?

The 240 and 260 lights, rear panel and surround are different and not interchangeable. You could cut the back end off a 240 and transplant it on but that would only devalue the car. IMO stick with the looks of a 260. The 260 is technically better in quite few area: locks, door seals amongst many others.

The number plate trim is different between 240z and 260z, I brought a 260z number plate/light bracket and its to wide for my 240z,

If you need a 260z one and you have a 240z one, I'm willing to do a swap

Hope that helps

Gary

Have you been sold a 260?

Post some pics up of the dashboard and engine bay.

Hi Paul,

What year is the car? You said originally, before you went to look at it, that it was a 1970. But are you sure?

Japanese market S30 Fairlady Zs had the same rear lights as their 240z and 260z contemporaries, i.e. '240z' style until revision to the '260z' versions in September 1973. If your car is pre-73, then I'd have thought you could just reinstall early rear lights. The apertures in the rear panel for them are larger on early cars than 260Zs anyway. The only bodging might have occurred where cutouts may have been made to accommodate the separate reversing lights on the later clusters. Thus, you may need to weld some filler pieces in.

FYI, it is seemingly very common in Japan to modify post-73 S30Zs to the early rear lights. Seems bizarre to have one swapped the other way IMO.

Incidentally, where did this car come from? It's not that project car with the 'G' nose on it that SJ Classics were selling near Southampton? Because that was most definitely a 75...

We need pics, as Rob mentioned, to identify the year and specific model (as mentioned before in the other thread, there are a variety of Fairlady Z variants with options). It may not be what you think it is. And for future pedantic reference, as a Fairlady Z, its a Nissan not a Datsun. :p

I concur with richiep, and it's one of the major points I've been trying to get across to people for what seems like aeons now. This whole '240Z/260Z/280Z' idea is simply inherited from one market's view, and doesn't in any way represent the whole family of models that Nissan produced.

If the car in question is 'S30-141102' then it's a 1975 'A-S30' model Fairlady Z (and most likely a 'Deluxe' Fairlady Z-L model at that) and it will share a lot of details - but NOT everything - with a contemporary 1975-built 'RS30' model RHD Datsun 260Z. So the rear lights are in fact 1975 Fairlady Z lights and that's the best way to think of them.

A Japanese market factory parts manual is going to be your Rosetta Stone. PM me if you want one.

Hello my Count.

So from which year (month maybe ?) did ALL markets S30 dashboards changed from what we know as 240Z to what we know as 260Z ?
I've had a 1973* RLS30 obviously with a 260Z dash so one can't even say with certitude 'from 1974 (and the arrival of the 260Z) onwards.

*I say that from the door-jamb plate ;) :rolleyes:.

So from which year (month maybe ?) did ALL markets S30 dashboards changed from what we know as 240Z to what we know as 260Z ?
I've had a 1973* RLS30 obviously with a 260Z dash so one can't even say with certitude 'from 1974 (and the arrival of the 260Z) onwards.

RS30 and RLS30 Export models ('260Z') and Japanese market S30 / S30-S Fairlady Z/Fairlady Z-L update models all produced from at least October 1973, and all had their own versions of the updated dash which people call the '260Z' dash.

We should view all this stuff by production date and specific model/sub-variant, not '240Z' / '260Z' etc etc. This is why there's so much confusion.

We should view all this stuff by production date and specific model/sub-variant, not '240Z' / '260Z' etc etc. This is why there's so much confusion.

The confusion is confounded by a trickle-dissimulation of pertinent data - what's simple to recolt is that spurted onto the Internet and rather dated literature via the Anglo-Saxon langauge which is second-hand info at best.

A Japanese market factory parts manual is going to be your Rosetta Stone. PM me if you want one.

This. Especially if it is the car that Alan and I are talking about as it is missing or will need replacements for an awful lot of stuff. That car also has the distinction of being fuel injected L20-engined too - obviously somewhat different to export market 260Zs. There's assorted issues there to deal with if sticking with the existing setup. To do the car right (again, if we are talking about S30-141102) you are going to need to get real familiar with as much info about JDM cars as possible (and that will require some detective work as looking on the usual US-centric forums will yield very little - other than what Alan or one or two others like Kats might have contributed). As Alan notes, its similar to a degree to a 260Z, but there's plenty of specific parts and details that will be harder to acquire.

Even if its a different car, depending on what work is needed, take Alan up on the offer - the info will be important.

In fact, on that note, Alan, would you have a copy of the parts manual covering early-71 cars? Useful for completeness! :eek:

Thanks for all your comments and I would clearly have saved a lot of confusion if I had originally stated that it was a 1975 model so my apologies for that and there is clearly a lot of switched on people here as the car is indeed S30-141102 :)

You're not kidding the car needs a lot of work and TLC, although its not something that we've gone in to blindly and very much aware of the bits missing from the engine, as you'll already have noted there are a number of bits missing from the fuel injection system along with starter motor, cam and rockers as well as bits from the air conditioning system. As for the engine we've sourced a replacement which has a knackered bottom end which we're collecting this weekend so thankfully mechanical spares are on tap. its the interior now which needs to be dealt with and most notably the dash and centre console.

I dont know what peoples experience with Nissan is, I've had a few calls with them trying to investigate the car's history and to find out how it started life, whether its possible to identify what it left the factory with and what options were chosen for it, whether it was sold under the Datsun badge or Nissan one (as has been mentioned above, I agree it was probably sold as a Nissan but the log book shows Datsun, I guess because its come from the US). I dont know if Nissan will be able to turn up much on it but I'm hopeful.

Paul

Makes more sense now. So, as per the original question, its rear lights are correct for its age/model.

I suspect Nissan UK, if that's who you've talked to, probably know jack about it! Whatever the logbook shows, that car is, as Alan noted, a Nissan A-S30 Fairlady Z, most likely a Z-L model, given it has features like the heated rear screen, passenger foot rest, and the rally clock. It's got Datsun in the logbook due to people who don't know any better! :smash:

It's obviously been cosmetically fiddled with during it's life, most obviously the dodgy 1-piece aftermarket G-nose (it would've had the standard headlight buckets, 3-piece valance, and mesh grille), and the rear quarter side marker lights (these are not original and would've been added in the US). It's also lost one of it's most distinctive JDM features, i.e. the original wing/fender mirrors.

What are your plans for it? Stock restoration or modified? You mention you've sourced an engine - what engine? I'm guessing not an L20. Many L-series parts are interchangeable but there's still plenty of variation to consider.

Look forward to seeing what happens with this one. I actually considered it myself on more than one occasion. My preferences and available parts pile are a bit more jigged around pre-73 cars though, so I'd be wasting what I've got having to chase later-spec stuff like interior, etc. Still it's an original Fairlady Z, which is cool IMO! Should've had a pop at it six months ago! :lol:

Aside from the manual Alan mentioned, a useful English resource is the Brian Long book, Datsun Z: from Fairlady to 280Z. That covers lots of detail about the evolution of the models, including the JDM cars.

Broadly, it would've looked like this when new:

JapaneseFairladyZ1970.jpg

Hi Paul, wow you are a brave man.

I hope you get the car back on the road but if you go down the originality route that will be some time away.

I have been unkind about that car on this forum because of the condition but the shell is good which we all know is by far the most important part of these rare cars.

I genuinely wish you good luck sourcing parts etc.

I would be very tempted to find and fit general S30 components tbh. :eek:

I would be very tempted to find and fit general S30 components tbh. :eek:

I know I'm a JDM trainspotter, but IMO, that would devalue the car. The cosmetics aren't that difficult to get really. Fairlady Z emblems easily available (apart from bonnet), mesh grille reproductions now available from MSA, etc. The correct black mirrors (not the chrome 510 versions) require more effort and ain't cheap, but can be found on Yahoo Auctions Japan fairly regularly, so are available via proxy bidding services like Buyee, BidJDM, etc.

Given the completely knackered dash, Datsun Dave in this forum might be able to help, given what I know he has (or had a few weeks ago) in this parts pile! ;)

Good luck anyway - people on here will be happy to help with advice and helping you track stuff down I'm sure.

You mention you've sourced an engine - what engine? I'm guessing not an L20.

I have an L20 engine if the OP wants one.It has the correct head on it .
i dont participate on here any more so just email me if any more info required.
pmaczc@madasafish.com
PS I am out of the country for the next 10 days with no internet access.

I know I'm a JDM trainspotter, but IMO, that would devalue the car.
I'm no anorak and I'm not sure that the 'value' is important here BUT wouldn't it be ncie to make the effort (with some help and advice) and strive to return the car to it's (rare here and perhaps anywhere for that matter) original condition and specification ?

I'm no anorak and I'm not sure that the 'value' is important here BUT wouldn't it be ncie to make the effort (with some help and advice) and strive to return the car to it's (rare here and perhaps anywhere for that matter) original condition and specification ?

Looks like every one is making up Paul's mind:rolleyes::eek:

For all we know it's destined to be a rally car or a pro TIme Attack car:devil::lol:

That car from sj classics, is very good and very solid. He's also a very good guy to deal with, honest also. It's be nice to see it put back together properly, standard or period modified, it's a rare interesting care in the UK.

Back