240z Variations

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi guys, first post and it's a question!

I've been researching Zs (with a view to eventual purchase) and I'm having trouble telling the origin / difference between 240s I see in listings, from what I can tell it's:

US-Spec:
- LHD
- 4-Speed
- Wing Indicators
- Rear marker lights

Euro-Spec:
- LHD
- 5-Speed
- Wing Indicators

Aus-Spec
- RHD
- 5-Speed

UK-Spec:
- RHD
- 5-Speed
- Wing Indicators
- Rust

Is that close? Are there any other regional differences that are easy to spot? (I'm ignoring Japanese models at the moment due to the larger amount of variation)

I'm also super confused by what dealer options are original, front valances, spoilers, interior colours etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think rust was factory fitted on UK cars, think it's aftermarket, typically installed on the boat over or at least within the first UK winter.

It couldn't have been an add-on as it is an integral part of the structure. Add-ons are generally removable.

It couldn't have been an add-on as it is an integral part of the structure. Add-ons are generally removable.
:D

I think wing mirrors and alloys were the common UK dealer fitments. And sun roofs.

Thanks guys! From my research so far I've been left in no doubt that even if rust wasn't a factory or dealer option it's an aftermarket addon for almost every Z.

Hi guys, first post and it's a question!

I've been researching Zs (with a view to eventual purchase) and I'm having trouble telling the origin / difference between 240s I see in listings, from what I can tell it's:

US-Spec:
- LHD
- 4-Speed
- Wing Indicators
- Rear marker lights
- Rust

Euro-Spec:
- LHD
- 5-Speed
- Wing Indicators
- Rust

Aus-Spec
- RHD
- 5-Speed
- Rust

UK-Spec:
- RHD
- 5-Speed
- Wing Indicators
- Rust

I'm also super confused by what dealer options are original, front valances, spoilers, interior colours etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys! From my research so far I've been left in no doubt that even if rust wasn't a factory or dealer option it's an aftermarket addon for almost every Z.

Including especially Euro Zs and quite a few USA cars - basically call it an added 'option' for every Z you see, some better, some worse than others.

Dealer options are a minefield - there are NO hard and fast rules and lots of people will tell you such and such was an 'officiel dealers' option/Nissan catalogue' - most of that is BS.

There are many, many, many more differences between the destination export markets and then between year models.

So, what's your plan - an original condition Z ? Not easy to find and prove and there were as you see several 'original' condition and specc-ed Zs. Good luck.

Your research needs to broaden out a wee bit more coz it was an "addon" for almost all cars that are from that era. Period:thumbs:

As above, rust is a common feature in most markets. The "rust-free" thing with US cars is a fallacy. Dry state cars can be close, but often have holes in the floor due to air con leaks/condensation.

Also, as Sean points out, original condition, standard cars are a challenge to find. People have been modifying these since the 70s - pretty much all have been personalized or evolved to some degree. Most Z owners tend to be much less precious about the originality-matching-numbers stuff that dominates other classic car marques (unless we are talking about special, high ticket models like Japanese market Z432s or 240ZGs, etc.).

Buy on shell condition - cosmetic and performance mods can be changed should that be an issue.

So, what's your plan - an original condition Z ? Not easy to find and prove and there were as you see several 'original' condition and specc-ed Zs. Good luck.

At the moment I'm thinking best Aus shell I can afford or failing that, the best US shell I can. Does the 4 speed and altered ratios make a great difference to the driving experience?

I'm not too worried about how original it is (provided it's solid) but the butterscotch interior would be a bonus.

Does the 4 speed and altered ratios make a great difference to the driving experience?

I'm not too worried about how original it is (provided it's solid) but the butterscotch interior would be a bonus.

Yes.
Good
....oh dear...

Ha - I had a suspicion that would be an unpopular / expensive choice. :D

Shall I be honest ?

I like the 'biscuit' interior - miles better than the metallic blue one sees but that is not an original interior, the console has some tacky additions, a wierd broken thingy on the passenger side and the choke space is predictably cracked.

The paint job is *****, the mirrors are plain ugly and the bumper rhd side at the front doesn't fit right.

Handling improved thanks to the wheels and tyres ? That's a joke although US cars can't get much worse.

That is a $10-12k car.

And I bet others will spot more given 5 more minutes.

What is the brown stuff round the hoses going through the bulkhead left side of block? A funny kink below front left bumper-lower front valance?

Your insight is very much appreciated! I agree on all the points you mentioned, I think it was just the gunmetal / tan colour combination that appealed to me.

Shall I be honest ?

I like the 'biscuit' interior - miles better than the metallic blue one sees but that is not an original interior, the console has some tacky additions, a wierd broken thingy on the passenger side and the choke space is predictably cracked.

The paint job is *****, the mirrors are plain ugly and the bumper rhd side at the front doesn't fit right.

Handling improved thanks to the wheels and tyres ? That's a joke although US cars can't get much worse.

That is a $10-12k car.

And I bet others will spot more given 5 more minutes.

I think that's pretty harsh! good job you're not the club valuations officer.

Mind you, it has got the front repeaters the wrong way around.

And the dash cap is not there to 'protect' the dash - we all know why don't we !

Jon - I don't think it's harsh at all - I think their description is misleading at best and downright dishonest otherwise - look at the paint, look under the bonnet.....

At that price, I'd expect much, much better.

Back