240Z Uprated Alternator

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

Has anyone here made a direct easy swap to an uprated alternator on their 240Z , of say around 60 amp?

If so, could you kindly tell me what make / model you chose?

Many thanks,

Nick D.

johnymd

Club Member
You can swap to a 280zx alternator with internal voltage regulator very easily. The alternator itself is a direct bolt on replacement and the wiring alteration is extremely simple. I recently fitted an MX5 NA alternator to my 240z. It did require a minor alteration the the lower bracket which mean you cant go back to a standard 240z on e without swapping the bracket. Wiring is also very simple with the standard L, S and +ve connections on both alternators. I believe some of the newer Nissan alternators with internal regulator and fan may be a straight swap to fit the 240z lower bracket but haven't bought one to try yet. The nissan ones I was considering are from an Almera or similar car and one that is old enough to have a v-belt pulley.

Essentially most alternator work in the same way and have the same L, S, and +ve connections so its just a case of finding one that fits the lower bracket and has the upper mount at 180* to the lower.

The mazda alternators I bought were both under £30 and one was brand new and boxed. You will struggle to find a new datsun one for that price.

Nmd14

Club Member
You can swap to a 280zx alternator with internal voltage regulator very easily. The alternator itself is a direct bolt on replacement and the wiring alteration is extremely simple. I recently fitted an MX5 NA alternator to my 240z. It did require a minor alteration the the lower bracket which mean you cant go back to a standard 240z on e without swapping the bracket. Wiring is also very simple with the standard L, S and +ve connections on both alternators. I believe some of the newer Nissan alternators with internal regulator and fan may be a straight swap to fit the 240z lower bracket but haven't bought one to try yet. The nissan ones I was considering are from an Almera or similar car and one that is old enough to have a v-belt pulley.

Essentially most alternator work in the same way and have the same L, S, and +ve connections so its just a case of finding one that fits the lower bracket and has the upper mount at 180* to the lower.

The mazda alternators I bought were both under £30 and one was brand new and boxed. You will struggle to find a new datsun one for that price.

Thanks Johny,

That is useful info.