Any interest in High torque starter motors/alternators?

Is there any interest in a decent new(not rebuilt) alternator or starter motors?

alternators are 60A, deliver about 40A at Idle, safe for upto 9000rpm. 3kg.

Starters are 1.4kw

I've been in touch with a couple of companies, they'll be bolt on. Any interest here?

Alternators are £195+vat
Starters are £200+vat

With a few orders that can come down by upto 20%.

datsfun

Club Member
To add to a PM, these are UK made.

More likely UK assembled. I would be surprised if the core, electric gubbins, copper etc were all "UK" made.

IIRC, these are available overseas for the L gata and wondering how they compare price and spec wise ?

More likely UK assembled. I would be surprised if the core, electric gubbins, copper etc were all "UK" made.

IIRC, these are available overseas for the L gata and wondering how they compare price and spec wise ?

They’re made by brise, so I’d imagine copper for the windings comes from a mine in China etc but definitely Uk made as its their own alternator. All components assembled/bench tested in the UK. Bespoke parts made and machined in the UK.

I’ve looked overseas, you can get reman stuff on rock auto, starter all in is about £100 (someone’s selling one on eBay for £140). Rock auto only sell reman alternators, none with the same performance and all original size and weight, about £95 for the ‘best’ one they do.

You can’t get comparable parts from the US, Japan yes but they’re even more expensive.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You can’t get comparable parts from the US, Japan yes but they’re even more expensive.

I thought that your buddy was telling us that there is a reason parts are more expensive in Japan and not merely because the cost of labour is higher.:rolleyes:

That said, I'll start you off with an order for each please.

Mr.G

Club Member
I take it high torque starter is the same terminology as gear reduction starter? If so put me down for one.

Any idea of weight compared to the stock non geared item?

Last edited:

strugrat

Club Member
They’re made by brise, so I’d imagine copper for the windings comes from a mine in China etc but definitely Uk made as its their own alternator. All components assembled/bench tested in the UK. Bespoke parts made and machined in the UK.

I’ve looked overseas, you can get reman stuff on rock auto, starter all in is about £100 (someone’s selling one on eBay for £140). Rock auto only sell reman alternators, none with the same performance and all original size and weight, about £95 for the ‘best’ one they do.

Cambridge Motorsport supplied a brand new Edge High Torque starter for my engine, also 1.4kw. Not as cheap as yours mind.

Also provided me with a 100A WOSP Alternator....... but again not as cheap as the prices you've quoted. (I think WOSP is UK made)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I thought that your buddy was telling us that there is a reason parts are more expensive in Japan and not merely because the cost of labour is higher.:rolleyes:

Would you like to take a guess at what else might affect prices in Japan, apart from the already mentioned 'cost of labour'...?

Cambridge Motorsport supplied a brand new Edge High Torque starter for my engine, also 1.4kw. Not as cheap as yours mind.

Also provided me with a 100A WOSP Alternator....... but again not as cheap as the prices you've quoted. (I think WOSP is UK made)

Yes its a good deal, looking like we'll get a good deal with the numbers. I'll close it off in a week if thats ok for all, i'll then PM where prices are at.

Regards.

Mr.G

Club Member
Thanks Franky for your efforts on this, it's a bonus to me if lighter not a necessity...I am planning on changing to a lithium battery and a gear reduction starter will be needed.

You are not planning on doing a group buy on them too are you?;);)

Thanks Franky for your efforts on this, it's a bonus to me if lighter not a necessity...I am planning on changing to a lithium battery and a gear reduction starter will be needed.

You are not planning on doing a group buy on them too are you?;);)

Lithium batteries? No, I think I’ll go for a gel type, I want to keep the stock size so I can use original mounting hardware etc.

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi Franky,

Any idea of likely timeline for the supply of the alternators? I'm heading off on the NC500 just after Easter and am ideally looking to fit one before I go.

Many thanks,

Nick D.

Hi Franky,

Any idea of likely timeline for the supply of the alternators? I'm heading off on the NC500 just after Easter and am ideally looking to fit one before I go.

Many thanks,

Nick D.

Hi Nick, they're going to be made to order, plan is to finalise numbers at the end of this week and let everyone know the amount. I need to see if I need to get some spacers made up for everyone so that'll add about a week to it. They're a much smaller unit than the standard one.

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi Nick, they're going to be made to order, plan is to finalise numbers at the end of this week and let everyone know the amount. I need to see if I need to get some spacers made up for everyone so that'll add about a week to it. They're a much smaller unit than the standard one.

Thanks Franky,

Could you kindly add me to the "alternator" list?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
390998b3231bbc58cb0c0f31aa84421d.jpg