240Z Bargain

TimW

Club Member
Rob and I saw this car up for auction at CCA last December. Looked pretty tidy, no one bid in the room went to telephone bidder. I was new to Z's at the time and Rob pointed out a few things to me, can't remember them TBH, but Rob might.

Think it was a fresh import and the buyer registered it etc. Looks like guy wants to shift it, came back up at 19k/17k I think and been slowly dropping since.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
There are a few things that can be seen from the photos - poorly capped dash, horrid black typical US engine bay..

But for sub 12k?

Be interested to see what Rob has to say about it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It looks good at a quick glance in pictures.

If you viewed it 'in the flesh' it is scruffy and tired. There were lots of things that just gave the impression it was not cared for - it went for about the right price (think I estimated it at that). These cars are bought for flipping - like the red one that was bought for £15k and appeared on the internet at £30k a few days later. That hasn't sold yet either.

http://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/datsun-240z-6939

Body was ok but the auto trans let it down hugely of course and would affect value seriously. LHD too dare I say.

Tim (where I first met him) was half interested but I talked him out of it and 'found' him RIDDLER's car which was a much better purchase.

The resprayed cars from the US amaze me, just look at that black and red paint in the engine bay - on a blue car!

TimW

Club Member
It looks good at a quick glance in pictures.

If you viewed it 'in the flesh' it is scruffy and tired. There were lots of things that just gave the impression it was not cared for - it went for about the right price (think I estimated it at that). These cars are bought for flipping - like the red one that was bought for £15k and appeared on the internet at £30k a few days later. That hasn't sold yet either.

http://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/datsun-240z-6939

Body was ok but the auto trans let it down hugely of course and would affect value seriously. LHD too dare I say.

The resprayed cars from the US amaze me, just look at that black and red paint in the engine bay - on a blue car!

Yup, rings a bell now!.. what he says.

Tim (where I first met him) was half interested but I talked him out of it and 'found' him RIDDLER's car which was a much better purchase.
:thumbs:.... :D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I could tell Tim wanted a car to be 'correct' - e.g. look what he has done with his carbs.

To the experienced eye this car would never have got there because of the difficulty sourcing trim, transmission etc

IMO this car is ok but not a bargain.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
To the experienced eye this car would never have got there because of the difficulty sourcing trim, transmission etc

IMO this car is ok but not a bargain.

Agreed it isn't a 'bargain' but any car can 'get there' and parts aren't THAT difficult to source.:thumbs:

Buy it and sell it back to the States - they love early cars.:D

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Auto box aside, was the body clean? The value to me in a good Z is it's clean unmolested rut/rot/damage free shell and chassis?

In which cash 10k thrown at this should make an immaculate car that's period correct... and would be a good project for someone like... me?

Dan

Auto box aside, was the body clean? The value to me in a good Z is it's clean unmolested rut/rot/damage free shell and chassis?

In which cash 10k thrown at this should make an immaculate car that's period correct... and would be a good project for someone like... me?

Dan

Look at picture 8/12. those rear arch's do not look quite correct?

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
I enquired about this car in Feb 2015, it was on 240Zforsale.com the then owner was really nice and helpful, it looked a good car then and still does to me :thumbs:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Look at picture 8/12. those rear arch's do not look quite correct?

I can see it looks strange in the pictures how far forward the wheel is within the arch and the large space between the back of the arch but I've seen poor wheel placement on a few z's.

Obviously need to see it in person but I think this will be snapped up at that price.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I can see it looks strange in the pictures how far forward the wheel is within the arch and the large space between the back of the arch but I've seen poor wheel placement on a few z's.

Obviously need to see it in person but I think this will be snapped up at that price.

Buy it then. :thumbs:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I would if I could afford it Rob, and another Z in the collection isn't helping with my current limited garage space...

More the shape I was thinking?

Farmer42

Club Member
This is a bit odd:confused:

The Pistonheads advert says its a 2.4 whereas the Classic Car Auctions site said it was a 2.8. If it's the same car why is the engine size different and what size is it really?