240z (280 L28 engine) gearbox oil change - filler plug removal issue

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi folks,

After wasting at least half of today fighting to remove the filler plug on the gearbox (280z block), I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue problem and succeeding where I failed? I've had heat on it and a pretty big wrench.

I probably now need to order the 17mm square female socket, though am struggling to find one on ebay - lots of male ones which you use for the drain plug.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers, Graeme

dav118118

Club Member
I’ve had that exact problem too. In the end I bought a small set of nut removal sockets which effectively cuts into the nut or bolt head. The square bung by this point was no where near square so felt it might work. Which it did. The bung was throw away afterwards but mike at mjp had some in stock. I think the previous owner tightened the bung far too much and over time had started to corrode hence the problem. Luke

toopy

Club Member
Mine came loose after a short fight with a decent sized 17mm spanner, maybe i was just lucky, as it was the first time it had been out for about 15 years!

I searched around for ages online for the square female socket, but as you have discovered, they don't appear to exist! :confused:

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Thankfully my bung is still relatively square, but can't get it off with a 17mm spanner and fear that having too much of a go at it will render it more round than square. Yep, can't find a square female socket either...grrr. Wish I had tried the filler bung before the drain (of which I have now sadly drained the gearbox - lesson learnt).

Turn & Burn

Club Member
17mm 8 point socket...

Shouldn’t the drain have a 1/2” ish socket rather than a male? This also has a magnet on it.

The male is on the filler plug?

Attachments

• 1FA471A7-16B3-4F1E-90D3-3DFB9670EBF7.png
    1FA471A7-16B3-4F1E-90D3-3DFB9670EBF7.png
    395.2 KB · Views: 30

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
It's the filler plug (male) I am having the issue with. The drain plug came out just fine and was also easier to get a long pipe on the wrench.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
A 19mm socket will fit on it (the plug is square) but given the force that will need applied to get it off, it's likely a regular socket will shred the square end. Hence why I have been hunting for a square key socket.

johnymd

Club Member
I have used a big set of steelsons in the past with success. All the ones I have done recently were with a 17mm open ended spanner with a tube over it for extra length.

PeteRichards

Club Member
I know this is an old thread, but I got one from these guys:

A bit pricey (£25 delivered when I bought one) but it’s square, they do a 17mm and it fit perfectly. After trying literally everything else to get it off. This on an impact gun (which made me a bit nervous - but even a long bar still wouldn’t shift it) sorted it in seconds.

Just in case anyone else is struggling to find where to get a square 17mm socket from 🙂

Ont240

Forum User
I too had that issue with a 280 trans fill plug. Had a piece of 3/8 x 1-1/2 x 36" flat bar that I drilled and filed to make the square. Heated the plug area for a bit with a propane torch, then let cool. Mechanical leverage always wins.

Attachments

• tool.jpeg
    tool.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 8