240 Wheel Options

Sam_C

Club Member
Following on from the various wheels questions of late, what is the general opinion of the best wheel height / width combination for a 240? With regards both to "looking right" - ie filling the arches nicely without being too in your face - and also improving (or at least not detracting from ) the handling / ride?

6.5x 14 Woolfrace slot mag. Fills the arch with a 195/70-14 tyre on it . Doesnt foul on lower front wing either. Proper old school looks and nice progressive handling on a std or mildly moded 240Z
Inspections of the set up and free ride in car to back up my (highly opinionated) opinion. :D

"sits back and waits for cries of rubbish, ive got 19" rims bla blah blah" ;)

Hi Sam,

I just had a 240 restored by fourways and they reccommend 185, or 195 x 14s.
They look pretty good, not too fandango/boy racer. These sit nicely around my period alloy wheels which are 6 inch.
It all depends on personal choice, if you want a sensible classic look, dont go for a tyre thats too damn big for the arches, choose the above, there should be space above the tyre before the arch of course.

As pmac says, someone is bound to tell you otherwise, and thats their choice.
Im no expert, but im going on what the experts have told me.
Regards Don.

Sam,

I know Wolfies (Wolfrace Slots) are commonplace on Z's, but they are such an iconic 70's wheel that they suit the cars perfectly. Get 'em polished and they'll shine like mirrors (I need to get mine done).

I have 7x14 with 195/70 at the front and 225/60 at the back. I love the fat-tyres look for the car and the deep-dish appearance of the wheels.

Tony

7x15 as they fill the wheel arch with a little bit more metal and run them with 195,60,15,as some would say........ SWEET!!!!!!

Ah bugger - as many different answers as there are wheel / tyre combinations!

SamC .... NO 2 zeds are alike and this applies to the owners also. :mad:
Some of us have been on this forum for 3 years now.
Weve never agreed on anything like this before so we sure aint goin to now!!! :D :D

Just buy wotever takes your fancy M8, cos no matter wot you get, when we first all get to see your motor, someone will say "nice car there matey.... just need some better wheels to finish it off!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll just buy a set of every type available, that'll sort it. Now having (not) made my mind up, I suppose I need to know how big a wheel can be put in the spare wheel well. Any ideas?

Flippancy aside (apologies for earlier post), remember that you want to keep close to the original rolling radius of the wheel/tyre combo. My 7x14 with 225/60 will fit in, but it won't leave much space.

I think you're talking width here (ooer) and again the 225 I mention above is just about it. I would imagine you could go a bit bigger, but not much.

Tony

I agree with pmac 6.5 x 14 Wolfrace are a good choice. It just so happens I use those and also have a set of 7 x 15 Dynamics I bought off Mark Rayner (used to be on his 260TT). See my gallery or look on Russ's for a rear quarter view of my red 240, UEY504M. Younger people prefer the Dynamics.

6.5 with good 195 tyres give plenty of grip, you don't need to go any wider unless you are intending serious track use. They also fill the arches without looking 'spaced-out'.

I agree with pmac 6.5 x 14 Wolfrace are a good choice.

and i agree with pmac,he is always right

WTF is all this?? :confused: :confused:

The new pmac fan club? :confused:

Or is it you guys want some parts off me cheap ;) ;)

SamC FFS hurry up n get some wheels before this gets out of hand :)

Pmac - I've just been offered a set of 1970's Cosmic alloys - 13 x 4J with part-worn town and country remoulds - a steal at £600. Just need polishing, bolts and centre caps, oh, and a set of inner tubes and they're ready to go. I'll get them bought ASAP. A set of wheels to be proud of, methinks!

Back