2 more from the States

JK240

Club Member
Here are a couple of others just gone up on ebay, I am sure that this is William Galliers from the address and websites he's listed, I know when I was looking at the end of last year I spoke to him a couple of times and he did say he was actively looking to bring some back although it wouldn't be till around May time, but when he did they would be good ones....

Nissan Datsun 240z. Classic Sports Car on eBay (end time 09-Jul-10 11:48:53 BST)

Nissan Datsun 240z, Classic Sports Car. on eBay (end time 09-Jul-10 12:07:17 BST)

Note the NB where he says he has 8 more for sale.....!! Markets flooded...:D

I told you all - there is a new Z era coming !:bow::cool:

Contrary to what you might first think - this will increase the value of your Zs as there will be more (and better condition) Zs available. What has kept the values down is the lack of decent cars on the market.

Well done William for a brave effort (and it is, to go over there, select them, invest and wait for them to arrive) which I'm sure will only benefit the Z scene.

Between him and datsunz.online.fr, there will be 10% of the UK 240Z count available this year alone as clean, imports to be sold either in the UK or in continental Europe if UK buyers are too snobby to take advantage of such gems !

Must go & have a peep at what William has fetched over, especially the robbello & what is on the way. Would suggest if anyone is seriously in the market for a 240 they should check out what Will has on offer dought they will be around for long at his prices.

I hate to bring a dose of much needed reality into whatever World it is you live in, Sean, but...

In the Real World, whenever the supply of something goes UP, then the price comes DOWN....!

The Market value of the 'Z's in the UK has absolutely nothing to do with the supply of good cars - the LHD examples have been available for at least 20 years or more, and William Galliers was importing them in the late 80's, as many of us know, so please don't insult our intelligence with your Bullshit 'puffy' statements any more.

The market value of the early Z's has a lot more to do with some well-written articles in the better quality Classic Car Magazines and success in Historic Competitions and more higher quality RHD examples being around. Yes, admittedly most of them have been LHD/RHD conversions, but they are slowly replacing the doggy examples which were prevalent in the 80's & 90's.

The better quality cars are being featured and reported honestly without the anti-Japanese overtones of perhaps, the older enthusiasts. Most of the Classic Car Journalists I have met in recent years are at the younger end of the spectrum, coincidentally, which might explain the open-mindedness of their views.

As Skiddell would say - "discuss"....

Bullshit ? Harsh words my friend but let's discuss..........

early cars had a higher value when they and they alone were allowed to race in the HSCC. Several early cars were imported to get around this 'problem', at least one was left and raced as a LHD car - William Jenkins.

Since the HSCC age limit was upped, so this artifical value disappeared but since only the 240Z is seriously competitive, it is the only car to have continually been raced and still continues to be developed to catch up with the likes of the (now) evolved 928s etc.

Yes, William did import a lot of Zs and not just to stay bodied as Zs but when was the last time (aside from two cars brought in last year as a taster and container filler - a red one that went north, in part on my appraisal and photos taken and a silver one that I haven't enquired further upon 'cos it aint my affair.

Since William stopped bringing in cars in quantity, they have still been imported here and there, most of us on here know who's had one but it's only in the recent 6 months that some serious numbers have been imported with the intention to bring in more.
I don't suppose the 11 that I helped import into Europe 5 years ago count for much except that 4x 240Zs that were registered in this country are still driving happily around, one of which was the first at Le Mans Classic back in 2006.

As per The Silence of the Lambs - "do we seek out things to covet ?" More Zs visible = more desire = more demand !

And if the early Zs are being better reported upon, isn't that a result of :

a) yes, younger, less biased reporting
b) the explosion of the jap car scene in general
c) more Zs being seen in public competitions (Monte, Safari etc)
d) Nissan bringing out the 350 and 370

You don't believe prices will go up ? Better slit yer wrists mate if you think they'll drop or become a postman or something with a reguler salary.

Up !

Sean - you have completely missed the point.

Prices have gone up in recent years - no-one is disputing that fact.

At the risk of repeating myself, you have labelled the wrong reasons for this situation. I made the point that it is nothing to do with the quantity of the supply of LHD cars, because they have always been available since the early to mid-90s. And I did state what, in my opinion, has brought this about.

Please read again my previous post and take in my argument about what has changed in the perception of the early Z's - all to the good of the Marque in general, but nothing to do with the reasons you claimed.

You seem to read what is not there in other people's comments. I am not in the slightest bit worried if the prices rise or fall - I was making a living from working on them long before they were these sort of prices.

Speaking of classic car magazines, Duncan and completely off topic, I noticed you got a nice little write up in the 'Discovered' section of Classic Cars this month. Are you planning on selling as is or restoring and then selling?

You're quick on the draw, Jonathan ! I did'nt know the Mag was out yet.

I bet you sit in that nice cosy Dealership Office with your feet up all day just reading the car Mags....

The Samuri has already been sold to a Brit working in the Far East, and we will be Restoring it for him shortly.
Really nice to inspect a genuine Sam that hasn't been altered & botched around between conversion in the the late 70's and now. Spike knew the name of the Owner & very kindly verified the Reg number & added it to his Register, so another 'real' one sees the light of day again, after nearly 30 years of hibernation.

Straight talking folk here in Yorkshire, Rahail, as you well know.

As straight as Richard 1st....only trolls and viking left-overs stayed THAT side of the Pennines. Moving on :

I consider it extrememy naive to believe that it's courtesy of the journalists that the Z scene is becoming more popular and written about.

Journalists are egoists and ambitious - they don't create anything but leap on a subject when it is already (or becoming) popular. They can certainly greatly aid and positively affect the appreciation and aid the snowball effect but that effect will already be in motion to have attracted them in the first place.

They use us - we use them AND hope that an article is thoroughly researched and not just Googled.

And this brings us to another factor in Z appreciation - the Internet. Before that, some people had travelled and communicated what they'd seen, otherwise we relied upon books and press articles and the club scene, magazines and newsletters. This information as per your statement of LHD cars was available during the past 20 years too.

Nissan brought out a Z car much more similar in concept to the 240Z and promoted it alongside the early Zs - they even commissioned a car from someone which albeit considerably less dramatic to Nissan US' promotions, made it's mark !

Nissan over here are doing the same thing with their 240Z and Roadster for the 370Z.

So, you believe what you want and I'll do the same ! For me :

Internet
350/370Z
More Zs being seen publicly and especially at high level events - Safari Rallye, Monte Carlo, Le Mans Classic

and a tireless club scene and the valiant HSCC and other endurance series racers.

Discussion, not fighting.

First time I've been called naive ( almost take it as a compliment ), and you obviously haven't met me in the flesh !

Yes, this is indeed a Forum, and everyone can air their opinions here, daft as they may seem.....

We've not met each other but I've heard of you since a long time now......well before the new era began.

The cars you prepare and sell are great Z public attention-getters but the problem is no-one ever sees them again as they disappear into collections and go abroad as per Dubai. The same as per the 260 I've finished which will end up with no-one seeing it - at least I catalogued the restoration on our forum which I hope will encourage others.

Who give a shit what they're worth :confused::unsure:, Just enjoy driving the poxy things before they turn to dust ;).

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't get it do you ?

I'm talking about a new Z era where the cars are better appreicated, not necessarily an appreciation in value but this will happen - it already has and prices will climb as quality cars surface for sale and not the usual dross seen on ebay.

It has been a pretty closed shop for Zs in the UK and an almost non-existant market in continental Europe but more cars (in good condition) will attract other buyers and not necessarily clubby people. These people can easily afford a Z but haven't chosen to until the last few years and these are the ones likely to push the cars popularity forward with high-profile participations. Seeing one or two at Goodwood Festival wouldn't hurt !

Back