2+2 Replacement Brake Vacuum Booster

toopy

Club Member
I need to check properly after the cars winter layup, but it's highly likely i will need a new booster.

It would appear buying brand new is not an option, everything i can find is remanufactured stock only!
The early boosters are 7" so Im assuming i require a 10" jobbie, and more than likely a 280z example from the US?
Most are core return affairs, but I have seen a Centric 10" for a 280z on ebay that is buy outright.

So who as bought what from where and do they seem to be of acceptable quality?

atomman

Club Member
What about a hilux servo ? I'm sure I have seen/read about using one as it's the same size and the OG master cylinder bolts straight up

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi, Considering the cost of a replacement servo when all said and done, I opted to buy this setup instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-2...h=item3fa592d6e6:g:YwMAAOSwqKNbTdl-:rk:2:pf:0

I haven't yet finished installation, so cannot yet comment upon performance.

If you decide to go with this option, then you will need to contact the supplier and ask for stud pattern to match a 260z as it's different from a 240z

I've known this system used on a race car (Brian Morris).

Are you going to leave it without a servo or use remote servos?

I will be interested top hear how you go on.

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
Rob, I'm hoping brake performance is good enough without servo, so my plan at least for now is to go without servo.

The system is 80% installed but I have needed to change my priority to chasing an electrical fault, so I guess it will be another two weeks at least before I get to test the system properly ....... but of course i will let you know how it goes.

toopy

Club Member
Hi, Considering the cost of a replacement servo when all said and done, I opted to buy this setup instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-2...h=item3fa592d6e6:g:YwMAAOSwqKNbTdl-:rk:2:pf:0

I haven't yet finished installation, so cannot yet comment upon performance.

If you decide to go with this option, then you will need to contact the supplier and ask for stud pattern to match a 260z as it's different from a 240z

Thanks, always good to have options, but that's not really my cup of T :D

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not sure about Hilux but I believe some people have retrofitted a Silvia servo and master cylinder assembly, but then that does have a different bolt pattern so will mean some drilling of the bulkhead.

toopy

Club Member
What about a hilux servo ? I'm sure I have seen/read about using one as it's the same size and the OG master cylinder bolts straight up

I have read that also, but IIRC you also need the Toyota 1" MC which looks god awful in my opinion, besides i already have a nice new 7/8th MC.
Also it's not a straight direct fit and may require a little fettling where it goes through the bulk head aperture, I seem to remember the one i read about was for a 280z swap and I don't know yet if the bolt pattern is actually the same as the 240/260 anyway?!

toopy

Club Member
I bought an early 280zx one from Rockauto, which should be a direct replacement, part number 16088062, with shipping and tax, came to approx £190