£56000 260z gto ebay

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
A very smart looking car but I agree it's not going to sell for that money.

The problem with these is that you'd still be driving it back to a house not in keeping with the car's looks! ;)

Not to mention you always end up having to admit it's "just a replica" esp as the busy v12 idle is missing.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
These cars are just playing to someone's ego. The good thing is it will drive like a 260Z.

They are eye-catching but next to a real GTO they look clumsy and heavy. When you lift the bonnet and see the Ferrari name on a Datsun cam-cover it's all a bit silly.

I've just watched the programme about the six lightweight E types being built and even those are struggling to get accepted by purists so what chance has one of these got?

Attachments

• 54522fe629188.jpeg
    54522fe629188.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 7118302847_736f95be7b_z.jpg
    7118302847_736f95be7b_z.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 25
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 25

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
Not a bad looking car, but a bit on the silly money side. Personally I would just prefer a clean 260z.

Meant to watch that program on the Jags, was it any good?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
............Meant to watch that program on the Jags, was it any good?

Yes it was really interesting. Everyone needs to see it - my wife enjoyed it too which is amazing.

The big conclusion for me was that you can't build history, provenance, patina. However what a fantastic car.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don't see the point of hand riveting taking months when a machine will do it better for less money - better to then spend that money elsewhere.

And the watch, case and stupid luggage are all a bit OTT kitsch !

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
Yes it was really interesting. Everyone needs to see it - my wife enjoyed it too which is amazing.

The big conclusion for me was that you can't build history, provenance, patina. However what a fantastic car.

Good to know.... will have to find it on the online services

No matter how many times that is determined, someone somewhere always tries to prove it wrong :thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
One of my neighbours (a very clever engineer who builds bespoke cars incl. Ultimas) is telling me that those 6 cars cannot be driven on the road because they wouldn't pass modern regulations/requirements i.e. unlike a new Kit Car. He mentioned radia of dashboard, seatbelt mountings, emissions etc

Is he right?

EDIT: Yes he's correct, done some research and they are not road legal!

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Weren't they (the 12x) built in the first place only to race ?

Surely Jaguar did THIER homework before launching a series £1m cars ?

AD240Z

Club Member
Interesting point.... if not road legal and as indicated on the show , not necessarily accepted for some racing activities (I guess they will qualify somewhere) - seems to taken away some of the point/fun

"By using the final six numbers, Jaguar can have the new Lightweight E-Types meet international rules for historic racing; they still won't be street-legal thanks to their lack of emissions controls or modern crash safety."

"Because the cars are meant for strictly for the track and are not street legal, Jaguar didn’t have to worry about modern fuel economy or safety regulations. It did, however, tweak the original design to strengthen the underbody to make the car more rigid, and safer in a crash."

I wouldn't spend £56000 on the gto replica in a million years.....

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
Just watched the Jag program and rather interesting to see the responses about allowing it to race at Goodwood. I somewhat agree, with what they said about modern build of a classic. It shows in how they did the paintwork, the interior and how everything had to be "perfect". 40k to repaint the bonnet..............

These cars are not valued at so much because of the time and effort thats gone into the build, its because of the racing heritage! Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, etc thats what makes these sorts of cars!

Sounded rather cool though :) and I really think that Jaguar should have kept 1 for themselves, something to test, to show-off, etc.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If only it looked like this under the bonnet ...

50ab147b716066b57cebeeecbc1e2869.jpg