1971 240Z Blue/Blue Cali Baked

SacCyclone

Club Member
Replaced the broken DS headlight bucket today and prepped the inner wing to accept the repaired wing next week. Also removed the front cheek panels and center valance to do a little repair on them since I have things torn apart.....

All in all I'm really happy with the condition of this car.

IMG_9984.jpegIMG_9978.jpegIMG_9980.jpegIMG_9976.jpeg

uk66fastback

Club Member
Looks great Mike! What did you spray on the inner wing?

“Removed front wing and happy with all the metal behind the wing. I will hit it with some primer before i replace the repaired wing. Not going to spray undercoat or anything heavy as the car needs to be blown apart in the future for a nice paint job.”

Robotsan

Club Member
“Removed front wing and happy with all the metal behind the wing. I will hit it with some primer before i replace the repaired wing. Not going to spray undercoat or anything heavy as the car needs to be blown apart in the future for a nice paint job.”

I just thought it looked more substantial than a primer but I guess not.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Yes, found some 3M undercoat that sprays thin as opposed to thick so I went with that and just did one coat for coverage but still easy to remove later on.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I just thought it looked more substantial than a primer but I guess not.
I really like the 3M product. Just hit it with some black etching primer for exposed metal, if you have any, and then the 3M product. Seems to work pretty well. IMO

SacCyclone

Club Member
Made some big progress this week on the Zed.
Replaced the repaired front wing and replaced both headlight scoops with original fiberglass ones I had squirreled away.
Swapped out the newer style wheels with a set of Panasport Racing wheels I had in spare, really changes the looks of the car for the better I think.
Drivers rear quarter had some holes drilled in it to pull out a dent by the previous owner....those were all welded up and the dent was pulled out further as well.
Rear bumper was straightened up a bit and flipped around so that it is no longer mounted upside down.
Rear spoiler was mounted up with some tape so that I could see what it will look like....really happy with the look.

Next week will swap out the clutch as it chatters currently, replace the exhaust system and more general cleanup.

Cheers, Mike

IMG_0045.jpeg

IMG_0038.jpegIMG_0039.jpegIMG_0043.jpeg

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Looks great on those new wheels, all the other bits really bringing it together. Well done, getting some good inspiration for my car.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Replaced the clutch and pressure plate today as the current clutch was giving me a lot of chatter. Turns out that after we removed the clutch we could see that the rear main seal was leaking slightly so that was replaced at the same time. Rear brake shoes, and rear brake lines replaced today as well and the clutch slave which is on order.
Really happy once again with the underside of the car as this is the first time I have had it in the air on the rack. Except for some poor jack placements, the floors and frame look really solid with no prior repairs that I could see. Factory exhaust system still in place, amazing.

IMG_0069.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpegIMG_0085.jpegIMG_0058.jpegIMG_0062.jpegIMG_0063.jpeg

SacCyclone

Club Member
Replaced the steering wheel and horn pad today, replaced the license plate lamp, replaced the ignition switch with a working key, replaced the steering column clamshell, did some tidy up on the door panel.

I am running out of spares so this will take a lot more time if I buy another similar car, lets hope it's a more complete car.

Mike

IMG_0155.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpegIMG_0154.jpeg

Robotsan

Club Member
Sad to see this one go but it is going to a great home across the pond.

Lots of great communication with the buyer and I'm sure they will treat this car with the care it deserves, maybe even start their own thread on this forum so we can all tag along.

View attachment 61619

Great, so you don't have to mess about with BAT for this one! Was it to someone already active on this forum? 🤔