24hr to the Netherlands and beyond- 240Z Project build.

Lovinit

Club Member
Hey all and welcome to my Project build of my 240Z. I had posted collecting this thing back in March on the welcome pages. I’ve always wanted a 240z for a good while, and it seemed as if prices were making it unachievable, well certainly from what i’d be willing to pay with other things taking priority.

I’ve owned old VW’s, Audis, Mazda’s. Recently my car journey has been more track car focused, but deep down i’ve always wanted something to tinker with, and have to play with in the background. I do actually have an old Karman Ghia project hanging about, that I fell out of love with- (long story). But it will be moved on shortly if I can rustle up the energy to let it go.

A trip to Autosport international back 2019 and seeing a beautiful Datsun bronze 240z on a stand (insta - Oldzedcars) made me want to start searching for one, and in the years that past I kept my eye open for the correct project. I did almost pull the trigger on one around 2022, but I wasn’t convinced by it for the price I was paying.

This became a problem, I wasn’t prepared to pay lots of money for a car that I couldn’t tell what was what and have nasty surprises, even “good examples” were pricey and full of of surprises.I’d had that before with the Ghia I spoke about before.

So it turns out I didn’t want a completed project, I wanted to make my own mark on something, build something, I wanted to learn to build bits myself, weld where I needed and have some fun with it. Also i’m fortunate enough to have a workshop space with ramps, welders, sandblasting cabinet etc and it seemed a shame not to make the most of it. I’m also not in a major rush to get it done as I have other vehicles that I can use to fuel my petrolhead thirst when the urge calls.

Anyway, whilst looking out for them I came across the Joop Stolze website, its a place just north of Rotterdam, it had a pic of a paint brushed blue -(yes thats right) 240z on it, not much info. It wasn’t priced to ridiculously in fact it was probably the cheapest Z I'd seen. It meant I was able to make my mark on it. After a few email exchanges with the main man Joop himself, a few pics and lots of questions a deal was struck and I put a deposit down in December ’22

The only sticking issue was that it it had started previously but for some reason, they could not work out why it wouldn’t again. They said not to come and collect it until they were able to get it running, which was fine with me, but months past and I was getting itchy feet with it, so. I emailed again and was told that they couldn’t figure it out..so if I wanted my money back I could have it. But my heart was set on it (rightly or wrongly), so I said to him, I’d have it anyway as a non starter if we renegotiated the price-

So early one March morning, around 1:30am I creaked open the garage door with my great friend Matt and hooked up the trailer to set off to collect it from the Netherlands. With work commitments I couldn’t really be away longer than a day, so day trip it was- and what a journey.

It was bitterly cold in the UK, but what I hadn’t accounted for was that when we go to calais, it would be heavy snow. Which added to the drama. By the time we reached Stolze classical cars though it was sunny and clear.

If you know the place that I’m talking about then you know it’s not just a car lot, its a museum a cave of wonders, its has over 200 cars for sale/display, but not your average ford fiesta, you are talking classic Porsches, 240z’s, old Mercs, Maseratis, American muscle cars, bikes for days, memorabilia. It really is something to behold.

IMG_1187.jpegIMG_1200.jpegIMG_1194.jpegIMG_1197.jpeg
And there she was in all her (non) glory, ready to be pushed onto the trailer, having had a good look round, I knew I was in for a lot of work. The engine not starting was the least of my dramas.IMG_1247.jpeg

All loaded up we headed back to the UK, back into the snow covered lands of France. And got back to the Garage around 1am, so thats 24hrs to collect the 240z.. was it worth it.. well thats hard to say! I love it, but it needs a lot of work.

IMG_1316.jpeg

If anyone is still bothering to read reading this, then here we are, the project build…

Two days after I got the car home I went through the engine and wiring.

The car has an L28 engine in it from the later Z, It also has had a turbo strapped to it and a Standalone ECU hacked into it. At lunch Matt and I were going through it all and found a few switches, we traced them around and it seems to be connected to an immobiliser, via the ECU and a manual fan switch, I flicked the toggle and turned the key- The dash lit up, which was a new thing.

Double checked the fluids and battery, turned the key and the car grumbled, again a first. A very very excited me, turned it again and the car fired into life… and it sounded bloomin amazing, it has a oversized exhaust on it and it sounded great if not a little too loud, but at this point I was too excited. Even though it was all to be pulled apart, it was nice to know the engine was functioning…

I am on Insta- J_chung81 if you wanna see updates/stories, offer advice, laugh or if you have parts... more updates here on this to follow too.

IMG_1292.jpegIMG_1294.jpegIMG_1375.jpeg

Last edited:

Lovinit

Club Member
I thought I'd recognised the Instagram name, I'm already following you 😂
Ha, brilliant, as you know then I'm a bit further along with this now, still at the beginning part but further along... will update here with pics and bits, just trying to put all pics and details in one place...and also remember how to write for more than an insta caption. haha!

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Ha, brilliant, as you know then I'm a bit further along with this now, still at the beginning part but further along... will update here with pics and bits, just trying to put all pics and details in one place...and also remember how to write for more than an insta caption. haha!
Yeah, I find insta is easy to get inspiration from, but not good for giving a flow of information. It's usually dispersed with adverts and other things you follow etc 👍

SacCyclone

Club Member
OK, I have Insta that my wife set up for me, but really only follow my Yorkie with 6K followers.

I have added you chaps to follow and will start adding some Zed content of my own to make it interesting....lol.

J- i see your car has Cali plates on it?? Do you know what part of Cali the car came from? I am in Northern Cali so was just wondering.

Mike

Zedman

Well-Known Forum User
Well I don’t even know how to use Instagram really.. but I’m following you lot now :)
I don’t have a Zed yet so don’t have any content myself, although several of my previous cars will be on there.

Zedman

Well-Known Forum User
OK, I have Insta that my wife set up for me, but really only follow my Yorkie with 6K followers.

I have added you chaps to follow and will start adding some Zed content of my own to make it interesting....lol.

J- i see your car has Cali plates on it?? Do you know what part of Cali the car came from? I am in Northern Cali so was just wondering.

Mike
What’s your “handle” / username on instagram?

Jay.

Club Member
Great story - hopefully the car is as honest as you'd hoped! I almost bought from them too, but couldn't find one in the right condition. Followed on Instagram too for updates, don't leave us hanging!

Lovinit

Club Member
Great to hear that people are reading, can't say it'll be always interesting and thanks for the insta follows, I've followed back too.. I agree it's great for inspiration, but not so much for recording the work as such. Will update again soon too

Lovinit

Club Member
Its now January ’24 and the car has been at the workshop for almost a year.

Truth be told, the track season was my immediate priority, that brought with it its own drama, a late start to the season, finding leaks and faults, coupled by electrical issues meant I chased my tail with the season, trips to Europe were blighted and more time was spending fixing the track car than racing it seemed.
but it was a good summer overall, I still managed to get to grips with the car and the New ECU and wiring loom should mean that the coming spring is one to look forward to, it also means importantly I can spend time doing the Z.
But as it stood, it meant the car got shelved until the season was over/too afraid to drive in bad conditions.

So I began pulling the car apart in August, the track whip if I remember rightly was being diagnosed with something or the other and idle hands and all that.

It started slowly and I decided to start seeing how bad things were from the roof down.
I wanted to see how much rust was on it and started taking back bits to metal, checking the sills and to see how much filler had been shoved in to the side dink on the driver side rear quarter (LHD car) and at various points.

In hindsight it was a waste of time, I knew it’d be rusty I also knew I had every intention of taking the car back to metal, so the good number of sandpaper sheets and hours I wasted finding dents and filler in places was probably pretty pointless. It did serve to highlight some areas being better than others. Which I guess made me feel better.. but there’s no true way of knowing until it really is back to bare metal.

So with the sound of the DA sander and the compressor, ringing in my ears, I decided to stop and made the executive decision to start pulling the car apart.

As with anything like this its where do you start… brushing past the car every other day if not everyday, the mind is wiling but the flesh is sometimes weak.

But it started proper with the rear lights a couple of screws into dealer baggies and an army of sharpies for labelling set me off from back to front. Their needed to be some method to the madness, in my younger days I had built a few projects and the bolts and bits where here there an everywhere.. but I’m determined this time not to make that mistake. Parts/bolts are hard to find as it is, so I can’t be losing them.

Next the rear bumpers came off and the the trims around the rear lights, and then the slam panel.
This was rather interesting, I can’t be sure but I’m not convinced there is a tremendous amount of metal left, it looks as though filler has been applied quite thickly. I haven’t gone too crazy with the sander, but I think this area will be really bad.

As you do you start to look up if they are able to be obtained and how problematic it will be to sort, but it looks as if this is a common area as KF fab and Auto Panel solutions seem to have these parts to go so to speak, not on the look out for unicorns yet.

So I guess we working front to back then.....

Attachments

• IMG_6150.jpeg
    IMG_6150.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6154.jpeg
    IMG_6154.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 43