“Looks really lovely sir”.

Murmurs from those in the queue behind me:

“That’s a lovely car” [emoji41]

“Sounded throaty” [emoji16]

“My mum had a Datsun - it rusted like mad”! [emoji849]

29d3be6bd7d6b33606cdde11910dd343.jpg

Matt Berry

Club Member
Now that is temptation. So close to completion !

Looks amazing and I bet it goes even faster:)
I’ve managed a couple of short runs and it does like to get down the road, can’t wait to take it on a longer trip though to see what it’s really got

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Queuing at Waitrose just now ...

The chap ensuring people queue two metres apart says: “Nice Jag sir!”

“Thank you, it’s a Datsun”

“A what!?”!?

“A Nissan”.

“Looks really lovely sir”.

Murmurs from those in the queue behind me:

“That’s a lovely car” [emoji41]

“Sounded throaty” [emoji16]

“My mum had a Datsun - it rusted like mad”! [emoji849]

29d3be6bd7d6b33606cdde11910dd343.jpg
I knew you were a Waitrose man Ali.

Ped

Club Member
As it's the 1st April, I was hoping to get the Zed road tax payment cancelled, since it now technically qualifies as 40 years old on the rolling exemption. However, it means going to the Post Office for my documents to be sent off to DVLA. Considering the DVLA is short staffed, and the Post Office near me are usually less than helpful, probably best to wait until the current crisis is over. It does seem that I should be able to reclaim any road tax collected via the monthly direct debit from today. Just a shame I couldn't get it sorted out...

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Finally got round to putting back together a seat mechanism I took apart 4 years ago. Had to do an emergency order of some 'e' clips as I seemed to have lost them.

Its a bit of a storey of serious memory fade/loss. So to go pack to the beginning I realised some time ago that may car had essentially two left hand seat mechanisms and vowed to correct it some day. Whilst putting my car back together some 5 years ago I though now was the time to do it. So I phoned Peter McDonald and asked if he might have a RH seat mech which he did and the deal was done and they arrived in the post. In the mean time I dropped the seats in because as I wanted to use it. I took the mech apart to freshen it up and it sat on the bench in a dismantled state until last week, or so I thought.....

So the day arrived last week with some enforced time on my hands and decided the time was nigh. So got to cleaning and prepping freshened up the paint and thought best find those pictures I took when disassembling. I finally found them which is when I realised they were taken 4 years ago. I set everything out to finish the job, this is when I became aware of something very perplexing. The pictures didn't match the mech I had in front of me. The one I had was a LH and the one in the pictures was a RH...… WTF!! At this point my brain went in to slight melt down because I new I had another pair in the loft which I presumed was from another LH seat which I had precured randomly for a different purpose. Essentially I new all along I had three LH Mech hence my call to Peter. Upon inspection of the loft the mech was in actual fact the missing RH one, but it was complete, whole, not in pieces.

So I have absolutely no recollection of refurbishing the RH Mech or dismantling a LH one. Its been an interesting week ;)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As it's the 1st April, I was hoping to get the Zed road tax payment cancelled, since it now technically qualifies as 40 years old on the rolling exemption. However, it means going to the Post Office for my documents to be sent off to DVLA. Considering the DVLA is short staffed, and the Post Office near me are usually less than helpful, probably best to wait until the current crisis is over. It does seem that I should be able to reclaim any road tax collected via the monthly direct debit from today. Just a shame I couldn't get it sorted out...

Don’t believe it! I paid a whole year when mine turned 40 and a few months later I automatically received an updated V5 + a refund cheque a couple of weeks later!! Not just me, other UK car owners had the same experience!

chris frizzell

Club Member
love this time off work .No body needs new dentures . tooth paste must be frantastic and not a broken denture is the land .i feel like i have retried. with all this spare time done a few jobs on the 280z . changed oil semi synthetic . flush coolent system out . found a water leak from the hot heater pipe . removed heat shield so i could tuck the exhaust up looks way better . fitted a techno diff mount hopefully no more chunk . dont buy the GM top mount it will not fit on a 280z ie diff hits anti roll bar . got to paint the work shop tommorow new units coming friday. never been as chilled ok no work and bleeding cash self isolation has its plus sides ! next jobs recon air con finish radio fitting but dont want to rush as the Mrs will find other less interesting jobs . Chris
s

Huw

Club Member

Been waiting for the same, but DVLA website still showing cars registered before 1 Jan 1979 can only register as historic.

WazzaJB

Club Member
Don’t believe it! I paid a whole year when mine turned 40 and a few months later I automatically received an updated V5 + a refund cheque a couple of weeks later!! Not just me, other UK car owners had the same experience!
I got a refund for tax even though I'm not sure it should have qualified for a refund! So yeah, expect a refund :)

Ped

Club Member
Been waiting for the same, but DVLA website still showing cars registered before 1 Jan 1979 can only register as historic.

Yes, I did notice that. It should now have been updated as of 1st April, but I guess it's not being regarded as a priority. Mine was first registered 7 January 1980 and the DVLA says:

"If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered before 8 January 1979, you can still apply to stop paying vehicle tax."

It should now read "8 January 1980". I did try and contact them through the Chat bit on their website, but unsurprisingly - no joy.

Ped

Club Member

I had read somewhere that it is automatic. The website says you need to return V5 and proof of MOT via a form from at the post office. Fingers crossed it will just happen, however I suspect it is going to take ages.

LiamR

Club Member
So.. after a 4 month wait and many messages back and forth my carbon arches finally arrived from the USA.

IMG-20200324-WA0010.jpg IMG-20200324-WA0011.jpg IMG-20200324-WA0012.jpg

Then as if by magic or coincidence, my friend who's looking after my car found this when he was setting off for work...

IMG-20200326-WA0006.jpg IMG-20200326-WA0007.jpg IMG-20200326-WA0008.jpg

No note left, nothing. Nice one! He thinks it was the Tesco delivery wagon as his neighbour had a food delivery at 9pm and everyone else is on lockdown. He lives in a small cul-de-sac so the truck would have to have reversed out, and it seems about the right height of where the light mounting bar is on the back of the truck. No proof though so got to bite the bullet and pay for the repair myself. Bugger.

johnymd

Club Member
No work due to the corona virus so no income for the foreseeable future but lots of time to get on with the cars. Until the money runs out that is. Despite all this I've haven't touched the cars. Been spending all my time getting all the jobs done around the house. Its amazing how much you can get done when your not at work. Will probable do another couple of weeks on the house then crash on with the cars.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
No work due to the corona virus so no income for the foreseeable future but lots of time to get on with the cars. Until the money runs out that is. Despite all this I've haven't touched the cars. Been spending all my time getting all the jobs done around the house. Its amazing how much you can get done when your not at work. Will probable do another couple of weeks on the house then crash on with the cars.
knowing how fast you do the cars, have you completely rebuilt the house?

toopy

Club Member
So.. after a 4 month wait and many messages back and forth my carbon arches finally arrived from the USA.

View attachment 37590 View attachment 37591 View attachment 37592

Then as if by magic or coincidence, my friend who's looking after my car found this when he was setting off for work...

View attachment 37593 View attachment 37594 View attachment 37595

No note left, nothing. Nice one! He thinks it was the Tesco delivery wagon as his neighbour had a food delivery at 9pm and everyone else is on lockdown. He lives in a small cul-de-sac so the truck would have to have reversed out, and it seems about the right height of where the light mounting bar is on the back of the truck. No proof though so got to bite the bullet and pay for the repair myself. Bugger.

Any of the neighbours got security cameras?

Mikee

Club Member
Well since choking in my smoke filled car after that little wiring issue at Bicester in January I finally bit the bullet and decided to do a bit more than a repair because frankly, it can’t be repaired! My auto electrician friend cant believe it didn’t go up in flames. The main area of fault was directly on top of the fuel line.
32e1a9b9a6caa25158ae6d2e1a105bf3.jpg

The wiring loom is burnt out from front to back, even the plastic connector for the horn has melted! So I’ve sent it off to him to do a proper job. My wife said get a professional to do it so with her blessing and a blank cheque to get it done I’ve added a few extras! Luckily the main engine was wired separately but the ignition wire to the ecu was charred but no damage to ecu. Car has started on a test circuit so big relief. Putting in new fuse board, resistors for the light circuits (so not carrying all the current through the switches) and splitting the loom in 3 supplies with a bmw mini fuse distributor. Thank you Ryan with the LS1 for the idea and blatant copy after seeing his car at Bicester. Stumped up some serious cash for speed hut gauges (but so worth it), skillard gauge brackets and radio blanking plate, replacement fuse board, new front lights and to top it off a new dash from vintage dashes currently enroute. Oh and a few more extras because she never has to know...bc coilovers, new front air dam and hopefully some new front brakes as desperate to upgrade from my hilux callipers and solid disks. I’m treating it nicely as it didn’t go up in flames or kill me.
dd93c3f3872863362d6ac06af8e28985.jpg

9d69cfc6674bc628f6114a3d54f4c95b.jpg

3b82c82578070c6e727b7628ad3db4ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk