V8 240 or 2.8 240?

tch911

Well-Known Forum User
I used to have a beautiful Dark Blue 240Z with the 2.8 engine pushing out about 200 bhp but I am very keen to get back in the game. There are a couple of nice Z's floating around at the moment. A Red 2.6 260 on Triple Webers at £8,000 A blue samuri engine'd 260 at £10,500A Bronze 260 with triple Webers at £7,000Plus a 240 with a 3.9 V8 at about £6000Prices for these cars seem to be all over the place these days, are these expensive?. Does anyone know of any other good cars for sale at the moment. I am looking for plenty of grunt like my old car and not afraid of something a little modified. What is it like having a V8 in a Z car, does it ruin the handling and does it provide that much more go than a tuned 2.8 on Webers?Looking forward to your feedback so that hopefully I can make the right decision and get back into the club activities.Cheers Tom

If the 3.9 V8 240 is Clive Standish's old one, it will need a little tinkering but is probably one of the most solid early UK 240s left around I would have thought.

I seriously thought about it myself.

The kit may not be to everyone's taste and I particularly dislike the wheels but take a really good look at the shell - it is straight, solid and looks kinda cool too :D

Bear in mind that you do not have to stick with the engine, you could put any L Series in fairly easily or even go 5.7 Chevy V8 very easily. The key is the integrity of the shell - everything else is easy to fix.

Handling ????? A 5.7 all aluminium smallblock Chevy will handle, how much does a Rover V8 weigh ? All aluminium..... compare that to a cast iron blocked straight six..... lighter so may even need a bit of weight adding back to the front end.

With the right suspension and corner weight set up it will handle just fine (as good or better than a straight six)

Hope I don't upset anyone here but in MY opinion an L series engine is best in a Z. I love the sound and character of the straight six and the way it revs, especially when modified. I have only been in two other 240s, a quick Rover V8 (4.5ltr) car and a FI L series (Rutland Express).

The V8 was effective but it didn't give the same sporty feel of the L series. I didn't feel as if I was in a 240!

V8s are fine but best suited to the car in which they were original fitment e.g. Cobra, Mustang. Of course the opposite is true, a Cobra would not be the same with a straight six!

I can't think of a good reason to replace an L series with a V8 apart from cheap, reliable power and of course to be different!

Shamus O'Hoolahan...

...the guy in thet clip...wot a fekin eejit :eek:

Sounds great though :devil: gotta be suprercharged all that whistling?

I like the idea of different engines in Z cars, especially the 2.8. What is the L engine you refer to? I am looking for the best power really. Is a 260 going to be much slower than a 240?

HOUSEQUAKE said:
Sounds great though :devil: gotta be suprercharged all that whistling?

It always comes back to Darius's car, the reason for myself and many others ever contemplating a V8 swap.
Apparently the car was built to beat Yammy R1's, a video of such a race is floating on the net somewhere too. Yep supercharged and seriously built LT1 block producing 600+ Bhp/lb-ft.

Rob Gaskin said:
V8s are fine but best suited to the car in which they were original fitment e.g. Cobra, Mustang. Of course the opposite is true, a Cobra would not be the same with a straight six!

I would of personally not used the AC Cobra as an example to illustrate your point:) .After all the Cobra was ultimately an AC Ace minus the original Bristol straight 6. Somewhat of appropriate comparison to putting a modern aluminium V8 into an 240/260/280Z:devil: .

Isn't it strange that as soon as a performance S30 is mentioned why the V8 versions appear so quickly in the conversation (especially Darius's).

For MY tuppence, unless you want to spend a lot of money, if you want a unique car with cheap plentiful performance that could scare many a modern car go V8 or other engine swap. If not stick with the straight 6 engines (the L series engines)

Of course I'm not biased in any way:devil:
DSCF0458.jpg

I have several Darius vids I've located, and he does indeed beat an R1 away from the lights. They both go uphill past the camera and boy oh boy can you hear that supercharger!!

I love the sound of my straight six (2.8) but for more affordable grunt with an unstressed engine I just don't think you can beat a V8.

Hello chaps - missed me ?

It's simple :

how much power do you want ? How much have you got to spend ? Do you need to keep up appearances of a 'standard' car for leagl purposes ?

Regardless of how much power you want - it'll always be cheaper to buy one already done BUT THE BODYWORK AND UNDERNEATH IS YOUR No1 PRIORITY whatever version you choose !

And that's all I'm saying - sorry if I disappoint
:cool:

I have about £10,000 ultimately to spend on the right car. I'm looking for a car that, as you say, needs no work aside from basic tidying up but not really looking to do any welding. With the Clive Standish V8 car, I'd want to take the majority of the bodykit off, replace the wheels and tidy up the engine bay. There is a stunning 260 I know for sale at the moment which is immaculate and has had £12,000 spent on bringing it up in terms of extra bits and bobs. The engine, a 2.6 on a standard cam, a Janspeed exhuast and Triple webers is in exceptional condition. The asking price is around £7500. It seems a lot for a 260 but it has had a lot of money put into it. I want something that has that urge that I had with my 240 but people keep saying that the 260 is heavier. It's also bright red, I always think that Z's look better in darker colours.

My opinion :

If you're going to cut up Clives' car - don't buy it - buy it for what it is !

You won't notice the 260 as a heavier car and 7.5 is not a lot for a pristine car !

As for colour - it's in the eye - personnaly I prefer lighter colours :) but I detest red - much too common and wannabe !

Steve,

"I would of personally not used the AC Cobra as an example to illustrate your point:) .After all the Cobra was ultimately an AC Ace minus the original Bristol straight 6. Somewhat of appropriate comparison to putting a modern aluminium V8 into an 240/260/280Z:devil: ."

Good point!

SeanDezart said:
My opinion :

I detest red - much too common and wannabe !

That's you off my Christmas card list then Sean! We'll have words at LM!!

And... wannabe????? Cor, the nerve... :eek:

Actually, I was going to echo what Sean said about bodywork condition. It really is the condition of the underneath and difficult to get at bits that's critical. Turning a rustbucket into a GOOD car would eat up £10k quite easily. The 260 is indeed heavier than the 240, but that's fairly easily overcome with a few engine mods. Clive Standish's car is so well known that I think it would be a shame to change it. Buy it cos you like the look, or buy another one if you don't. That said, if you do get it, it will be your car to do with as you see fit. But, as Sean said, whatever flavour of Z you buy, for goodness sake take a damn good look around underneath and in all the dark little corners!

TL

Sorry Tony, if it's any consolation : I'm fed up of seeing dark blue, don't like black and silver / gunmetal is too discreet ! And (may I suffer penitence) the Samuri orange/brown mix ! Probably get a whole lot more abuse now :)

What me likes : off-white, bling '70s colours (ZHeads' lambo orange, green etc), Datsun Daves' baby-shit brown, the Counts' aubergine including Chris Threadgolds' 260Z tint.......greens but not BRG (too dark) and yellows :) !

Still waiting for Suzys' pink 260Z 2 seater - I can't add any similies here - I'd be banned :devil:

SeanDezart said:
Sorry Tony, if it's any consolation : I'm fed up of seeing dark blue, don't like black and silver / gunmetal is too discreet ! And (may I suffer penitence) the Samuri orange/brown mix ! Probably get a whole lot more abuse now :)

What me likes : off-white, bling '70s colours (ZHeads' lambo orange, green etc), Datsun Daves' baby-shit brown, the Counts' aubergine including Chris Threadgolds' 260Z tint.......greens but not BRG (too dark) and yellows :) !

Still waiting for Suzys' pink 260Z 2 seater - I can't add any similies here - I'd be banned :devil:
The Samuri orange/brown is A '70s COLOUR and white shows up the rust and as for green I remember when your green 240 was owned by Sue Lombard,It was a very girlish colour one step away from pink!

I believe cars should keep the original type of engine. You wouldn't find a 911 owner changing the engine would you? NO. But I would accept a Skyline engine in a Z because it's still a straight 6.

Back