Uprated engine mounts

Mr.G

Club Member
I'm always up for mods that are quite often overkill but wanted to know how much of a difference aftermarket engine mounts make eg Kameari, when compared to the stock items for a fast road car (300hp).

Kameari states that theirs is 1.5 times harder, are their any benefits to be had here or is this more for a track car use?

I was going to order a set and just seen the price! If its a wise investment I'll go for them no question, but don't want to be spending unnecessarily, especially when their are so many other fine goodies to get ! :D

tel240z

Club Member
George what improvemeant are you looking for i suspect that being harder will just transmit vibration through your car

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
mounts

My take on engine mountings[a science in itself] in general depends on what the car is used for and how hard the clutch is regularly dumped and at what revs/power.For roundy roundy racing and track days i suppose there's an advantage if you can stop engine shift/torque rock upsetting the cars balance and maintaining perfectly aligned u joints under high power by keeping the engine/box stable.If i went this route i would also use same shore/hardness on gearbox mounts,depending how fussy you are 1.5 times shouldnt be that bad but as someone stated more vibes. If you have a problem with engine movement and wish to cure it for whatever advantage and any possibility of damaging adjacent components you need to reduce the leverage advantage the engine has over the lower mounts,higher up located mounts ie self made/aftermarket torque straps/bars give a better and rigid config,or even motor plates but a lot more work.Plus if you're after a more instant launch its theoretically more power efficient with a proper rigid setup.Basically i can see no real advantage with harder lower mountings unless combined with some sort of upper support,others may disagree.You could always gun it preferably on private road/safely without bonnet or simply grab hold of it and really heft it side to side and see if theres excessive engine movement or use witness marks depends how involved you want to get,.Meself id stick with standard good condition mounts and some sort of cheap fabbed upper support if poss.No doubt someone will pipe up who's actually used that brand and give a nice short answer:)

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
George - We get the Rally-spec Engine Mounts from Star Motorsport - Lawrence Evans in Coalville. Check out his Website & ask for a quote.

Virtually unbreakable, even on the Safari 240Z's, but whether or not you need them for posing up & down the High Street is debateable ( not that you would do such a thing ).

I would have thought not.

Wyn

Club Member
George - We get the Rally-spec Engine Mounts from Star Motorsport - Virtually unbreakable
.. but whether or not you need them for posing up & down the High Street is debateable

Traffic light grand prix against the Saxo/ Corsa gang ?

Could be hard to say no :D

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Kameari states that theirs is 1.5 times harder, are their any benefits to be had here or is this more for a track car use?

I was going to order a set and just seen the price! If its a wise investment I'll go for them no question, but don't want to be spending unnecessarily, especially when their are so many other fine goodies to get ! :D

George,
Please don't confuse zccjdm in the USA with Kameari Engine Works in Japan. Buy them direct from Mori san at Kameari in Japan. Cut out the middle man.....

You'd be surprised how many cars use the Kameari mounts. Lots of cars in the UK use them, and some people even take the Kameari stickers off them ( ;) ).

They are not overly hard, and are well judged. KEW know what they are doing. I would recommend you go the whole hog and buy their gearbox mount and diff mount too. Difference between the KEW items and ( probably worn out ) originals is night and day, and if you've priced up the cost of the KEW items in comparison with genuine Nissan parts you might think they are not so expensive after all. Don't be fooled into buying cheaper pattern parts which are not even as good as OEM stock items, even though they may look the same.

Our friend Ian P. uses the Kameari items, and I believe he's happy with them. You would also spot them on Brad Mottier's historic rally car at Greenwood Motorsport, and on a number of other historic rally cars too ( ;) ). I've supplied something around 20 sets in the UK over the years that KEW has been making them....

Mr.G

Club Member
Great feedback as usual, thanks guys.

Alan appreciate the heads up with regards to Mori san.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Our friend Ian P. uses the Kameari items,

Certainly do, and I am very happy with them, engine and gearbox (need to do diff one at some point). Won't consider stock now. Why, try rocking your engine or gearbox with OEM ones, they move, much less with the Kameari ones. And for me they keep your engine and gearbox where it should be, not moving when you accelerate/brake/corner hard. No extra vibration either.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
George, I also have the engine mounts and the gearbox mounts from Kameari and find them pefect for the job of handling high torque/power in quiet testing scenarios.

PM also sent

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Steve, Ian - what's in them to make them stiffer than standard - still rubber or.........? Stronger metal moutings too ?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
The density of the flexible compound looks to be higher with less elastiicity and the quality of the core components is extremely good

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I would recommend you go the whole hog and buy their gearbox mount and diff mount too.

I have uprated engine mounts (not KEW) and KEW gearbox mount and uprated gearbox cross-member mounts. It's all there to reduce weight transfer :)

Al' I didn't know they did a diff mount too - I'm assuming similar rubberised material in standard looking front mount form.
Currently I use a solid mount, but have been thinking about removing it for a stock one (too noisy), perhaps a KEW item is a better bet ??