Toyoya GT86 and the 260Z

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not really into modern machinery - but if I was going out to buy a current sports car, the one that would probably tempt me is the Toyota GT86.
I think it is a great shape - wonder where they got the lines from? The 240/260Z maybe?
I was at the classic car show at Tatton Park today. The Z Club didn't have a stand there this time, so I had to park my 260Z in the public car park and found myself alongside the aforementioned Toyota.
I took a picture to show the two cars together - still think the 260Z just wins it on looks, even though it was designed 40 years ago!

Attachments

• IMG_20150531_102501_edit1.jpg
    IMG_20150531_102501_edit1.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 92
Rob, the Toyota is more like a 370Z however it is lacking in outright performance but probably a very usable and more drivable car.

I like the GT86 a lot too, surely smaller than a 370z?
But the GT86 doesn't have enough cylinders. One of those flat 6 Subaru engines would make it special!

Rob, the Toyota is more like a 370Z however it is lacking in outright performance but probably a very usable and more drivable car.

I don't agree Rob - the Toyota is smaller, more compact and has more 'coke bottle' curves in my opinion.

Personally - controversial view coming up - I prefer the 86 to the 370Z; and I think it's more in the spirit of the original Z (engine excepted). Nissan need to get their heads around the idea that big isn't always better...

Attachments

• f7a127d8548419ad1f301b39e2aaa6c7.jpg
    f7a127d8548419ad1f301b39e2aaa6c7.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Personally - controversial view coming up - I prefer the 86 to the 370Z; and I think it's more in the spirit of the original Z (engine excepted). Nissan need to get their heads around the idea that big isn't always better...

+1

If i had too choose, defo the Toyota for me, personally ive never really taken to the 350 and 370z
there too big and thats without a lovely long bonnet, which for me is what kills the looks :unsure:

So why do you have a 3.1 stroker to build?

The Toyota is exactly the same length, 3" narrower and 1.5" lower. So not a big difference.

The Toyota is lighter I agree but it's missing 2 cylinders.

The Z's character 240/260/350/370 is mostly from it's engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new GT86 about 4 months ago, my opinion is that it is a great drivers car and if you want something pure and equivalent to a modern day 240Z this is the car to have.

As for being similar to a 370Z is a totally different car all together, I normally average between 35-40mpg, my last two cars was a E90 M3 replaced by a F Type Jag and I certainly don't miss them over a GT86, go drive one before you criticise them.

So Sean do you think the Toyota is more like a 260Z than a 370Z?

Strange question - I never compared the Toyota to a 260Z....I think two big points are being missed here - at least £4000 or 15% less expensive and it is a FHC only - no hairdressers' convertible.

As for power :

http://www.caradisiac.com/Toyota-GT86-un-turbo-et-une-transmission-integrale-en-2015-97370.htm

I agree with Richiep - it all went wrong with the Z32 and is aiming in the wrong direction with the 370Z after the 350 - they should be going less expensive with less power and stiill fun IF they want to sell in volume. Porsche have done so with the Cayman.

They should also have kept the smaller version a FHC and broght out an MX-5 competitor called......a Fairlady Roadster - Nissan have done eff all with all THAT heritage !

I agree - though I like the 350/370 I think the Toyota's looks are more in keeping with the original Zs.

I agree with 240z man,Audi TT springs to mind and as for Nissan trying to nick Porsche customers you've got more chance of shagging the queen

I agree with 240z man,Audi TT springs to mind and as for Nissan trying to nick Porsche customers you've got more chance of shagging the queen

ROFLMAO!!!!!! :D

But even if that possibility were to present itself, would you really go there!? :eek:

Back