This should be interesting

This is one you would really need to go and see before buying. Looks like its been messed around with too so not good as an original looking car. Could be a bargain. Would probable make a good hybid or track car if its solid. He mentions the areas that have no rust but what about the other parts?

Front lower corner valances look a bit odd, fibreglass? Non US.

280Z bits Nigel so yes US. In fact I think the whole car may be 280Z as Morbias said earlier. The grill looks 280Z because it has the space for 280Z indicators, 260/280 rear panel too. Notice the 'model designation' badge removed from the dash too.If it is a 280Z then it's not 'Historic' for road fund licence status.

The issue is it's advertised as a 240Z.

I have seen a 280Z 'passed off' as a 240Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely a 280Z - assuming he's correct on the model year - he states 1976. Front valance and grille are 280Z. The ugly valance corners are normally hidden by the even more ugly impact bumper (thankfully missing here!).

I notice he's now added a note at the bottom of the listing:

"Sorry to add this is imported from America and is booked as a Datsun 260z remember American and European models where slightly different"

Closer, but still no cigar...

So this could be a very good S30 for somebody as long as they know what they are buying.

It could also be a real can of worms if the true identity of the car is not the same as what the paperwork and any attached identity plates say it is. Quite a few faked up, title-switched and generally fishy S30-series Zs have been imported from the USA over the last few years.

Seller clearly has no clue what he is talking about, and therefore is very likely to have bought it thinking it was a '240Z'. Hence the mistaken description. A peep at the seller's ebay feedback (including giving refunds when gold Krugerrands turn out to be fake...) should ring enough alarm bells to alert the unwary.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-DATS...0388215?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a483a0477

Hmmm. Lots of work there then. There's another import 260z in the background of one of the photos on that listing too - a bronze one.

On the positive side, with the number of imports coming up at the moment, it probably won't be too long before something comes along that makes up for losing that car to you Terry! :p

There seems to be a lower quality of cars appearing also? Why would you bring one across covered in surface rust when there's so many decent ones in the states? Also the 260's aren't commanding the same money here so you can't ask the same for a 260 as a 240. It looks like they're buying craigslist $1000 cars.

There seems to be a lower quality of cars appearing also? Why would you bring one across covered in surface rust when there's so many decent ones in the states? Also the 260's aren't commanding the same money here so you can't ask the same for a 260 as a 240. It looks like they're buying craigslist $1000 cars.

I agree. Bringing in rough US 260Zs doesn't seem like the best strategy does it? Maybe people are looking for cheapos to try and feed the growing demand here. Inevitably they will find buyers who may not be as critically minded or knowledgeable as those on this site. Either way, it all smacks of a lack of knowledge in sellers as well.

The same happened in the VW world, people think they are going to make a fast bit a cash, then the sort after models get scarce and expensive so they move on to the next most desirable one and try and knock them out and make them cool and so on, problem is there aren't as many Datsun's about, and looking at the prices good cars are going up in the US to.

Prices in the states having been going up for a while. I guess this means that people will bring a lower quality of car across to make their pocket money. Unfortunately that means that they'll need more work/parts and be of more questionable originality. Defeating the point.

Back