Premature cancellation????

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Well its been dry , sunny and windy here in the East Midlands for two days and the forecast for the week ahead gives some dry days and some with light showers(BBC Weather-Northampton.) So was the decision to cancel Billing premature???
Come to think on it ... WHO actually made the decision????
Over on 300Zx.co.uk it was stated that The Site owners had contacted the Clubs, but i have just been informed by Steve300Zx Membership sec that he actually got the information from Z Club.
So... what happened??? Did Billing management contact the Z Club and cancel??
Or did a club official contact Billing Office and enquire??
Or did someone just tell someone else who's auntie was walking the dog that it was raining heavy and promptly cancel the whole idea.:confused:
Im having someone check it out tomorrow anyway so I will be back with an up to date factual report on the state of the Meadows.

Hi,
Steve Burns had this to say in the Billing thread......

"Prior to the decision to canel I asked a friend who actually lives in one of the vans at Billing to check the state of the fields we were using.

She reported that the first field was very boggy arround the edges but did not walk into the center of it and the back field were the show was going to be was being pump out by billing on a daily basis and said there was more mud there than grass

When my wife said to her that I better come along in wellies she replied that a wetsuit would be far better

The forecast for the next ten days for Northampton is rain of some sort or other for eight of these days there is noway that the fields will be able to take cars driving on them

At a previous JAE that was held at Billing after a couple of days Rain we had to tow some of the Cars off that had got stuck in the mud"

Hi,
The forecast for Northampton is rain for the next 4 days!...But then it said the same for where I live last week and although overcast with the occasional downpour it hasn't been too bad.The last couple of days have been lovely!
I could go and have a look at Billing if needed, as it's not that far from where I work.

Last edited by a moderator:
cancelled too early,2 weeks is a long time and as it has been quite breezy it could have dried enough for the meet,another cock up as we must know by now you cant trust the bloody weather forcasters,wot do they know,now i will have to do some jobs round the bloody house

This was a committee decision which was not lightly made last Thursday.

As things stood the field was under water and being pumped out, the forecast is not great for this week, we needed to let members know ASAP and not leave cancelling the show until the last minute when we may not have been able to get in touch with everyone.

It was decided we could not just take a gamble on the field being dry or not - we are as disapppointed as you and have been putting alot of hard working into sorting a show that is now not happening and we are going to have to do it all again for a resheduled date.

Well to be honest I am not at all happy. I have taken a very rare oppertunity and taken the weekend off for this and some have booked flights and hotels and after a quick call to Billing they said that the ground isnt water logged and it was never announced that it would be.

So who did make the descision then? Are you going to refund those who have lost money? What if it looks like rain next time? Come on this is absolutely unexceptable. All because someones friend said it looked a bit wet?

Like I said the decision was not taken lightly and was a combined decision by a number of the committee members.

Not all the fields at Billing are water logged - when we spoke to Billing last week we were told that they could not give us an updated report about our field until Tuesday of this week. We would then be cancelling the show at 3 days notice - which we decided would not be good enough.

This was not a case of
All because someones friend said it looked a bit wet
this was confirmed by two people that the field we were going to use for the show was under water and being pumped out.

We appricate that people have spent money, paid for flights, taken time off etc, again we have not taken this decision lightly, but we could not take the gamble of allowing everyone to turn up and drive onto a muddy field, camp in mud and then have to arrange to have cars towed back out again, that would also have been completely unacceptable.

The committee made what it thought was the best decison for it's members with the information it had.

suzy said:
The committee made what it thought was the best decison for it's members with the information it had.

Information form who then? It certainly wasnt the Billing management? I have asked them.
But the committee informed the 300zx committee that Billing managment had cancelled? It wasnt just this club that was involved. Hundereds of people have been let down Suzy. It wasnt just another weekend. Why now you know it isnt water logged is the event not re-instated?

Total rot.

No one was suggesting otherwise.Most ordinary members are aware that the committee has the members interest at heart.
However what I and Vinni are suggesting is that the decision was....A. Premature
B. based on insufficient factual information.
A Committee decision???
Was that unanimous?? How many Committee members voted???
I think the members have a right to know. No need for names just numbers. Or was this just an "executive decision" by a few selected committee members??

Weather forecast for Northampton has 2 wet and 1 cloudy day for the next 5 http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2835

Just imagine the row if you all had to have your cars towed out of the mud - don't think people would have been as forgiving as Glastonbury. Don't think the committee had much choice, really.

Gio said:
Weather forecast for Northampton has 2 wet and 1 cloudy day for the next 5 http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2835

Just imagine the row if you all had to have your cars towed out of the mud - don't think people would have been as forgiving as Glastonbury. Don't think the committee had much choice, really.

This is the UK mate. We should be used to it. Your point isnt on subject? How was the descision made? We can all make the choice to go or not go and take our chances. The weather you are speaking of was not forecast when the decision was made. It seems that it was all based on speculation and not facts? At least if we had turned up and seen the ground to be unsuitable we could have said "NO WAY" but it wasnt. OK I am furious for what some might say are not good enough reasons. But personally I will not be able to make another weekend this year. 1 event a year is all I can attend.

I agree with Gio. I was looking forward to this as my first Z club event and being able to meet some of the people ive spoken to on this site over the past few months, so am as dissappointed as anyone else to see it cancelled. Its fair to assume the decision was not taken lightly and certainly in the best interests of all the club members, especially those visiting from overseas. Perhaps with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight you cant see how hard these decisions can be? Thanks to Suzy and everyone else who put plenty of time and work into organizing this event in the first place, only to see it be a pointless endeavour. Keep up the good work and i hope to meet you all soon.

John

IMHO the right choice was made Ok lots of people have booked time off work booked flights people are pissed off but have had time to re-sort thing out, how pissed off would you be turning up at the front gates of Billing to be told that the field is water logged would you want to put your car on a water logged field ?

A lot of hard work,& preparation in advance, had been made to
ensure everybody had a great 30th year Z CLUB celebration at
Billing. The logistics in
the pre-organising of Billing,along with the30th year celebrations....has not only disappointed club member's this cancellation has disappointed all who organise the event.
The R.A .F air show got cancelled,& they did not have to answer to anybody? Atleast The club committe had thedecency
to let people know in advance. This is in everybody's interest.
Give the commitee a break,for god's sake! after all they do,& have done for the club,& on a continual basis. The
committee member's sacrifice their time,money & patience
for the good of everyone else & I think they deserve RESPECT
& should be applauded not hacked at!
PRAISE THE Z CLUB & THE Z CLUB DO-ER's:bow:
DJZ 60.:cool:

viniboy said:
Your point isnt on subject?
err actually pmac's first question was
pmac said:
So was the decision to cancel Billing premature???

viniboy said:
The weather you are speaking of was not forecast when the decision was made.
No - it was worse, according to Burnsy
The forecast for the next ten days for Northampton is rain of some sort or other for eight of these days there is noway that the fields will be able to take cars driving on them

My point was that even today, there's still rain forecast and to run the risk of it not being any better and having to cancel at last minute would be worse for everyone. I can imagine the chaos if it was too muddy but the committee just went ahead and people turned up to make their own decision on spec. Massive muddy gridlock.

Anyhow, as you said
This is the UK mate. We should be used to it.
. This wasn't the first event to be cancelled due to the risk of rain and it certainly won't be the last.

viniboy said:
Information form who then? It certainly wasnt the Billing management? I have asked them.
Billing management refused to talk to us, hung up the phone three times on Derek. Eventually they told us they could not give us a report on the field until this Tuesday - this would involve not begining able to let people know until late Tues night/Wed, not everyone comes on the forum every day, it was felt that 2/3 days cancellation was not enough time to make sure everyone knew.
Two people, one of whom actually is staying at Billing in a caravan looked at our field for us - it was under under water as perviously stated
But the committee informed the 300zx committee that Billing managment had cancelled?
the 300ZX committee were never informed that it was Billing managment that had cancelled - this is something that got lost in translation but never came from the Z Club.
It wasnt just this club that was involved. Hundereds of people have been let down Suzy. It wasnt just another weekend. Why now you know it isnt water logged is the event not re-instated?
Rain is still forecast for this week and the field is still wet
To re-instate will cause more problems than it solves, entertainment and marquees re-booked etc etc people have already made new arrangments to change again would not be fair to them

Total rot.

I am fully aware of the problems this has caused and feel very bad for all members involved but a decision had to be made and we thought it was the correct one at the time

Gio said:
err actually pmac's first question was

No - it was worse, according to Burnsy

My point was that even today, there's still rain forecast and to run the risk of it not being any better and having to cancel at last minute would be worse for everyone. I can imagine the chaos if it was too muddy but the committee just went ahead and people turned up to make their own decision on spec. Massive muddy gridlock.

Anyhow, as you said . This wasn't the first event to be cancelled due to the risk of rain and it certainly won't be the last.

OK. I see your point but maybe you aint the only one who cant see further than the end of your nose. This isnt just another cancellation. It was to be the main event of the year for more than just this club and it was cancelled on a whim. No I aint exaggerating. When it was announced it want said " if the weather isnt good we will cancel" AND (and thats a big and!) all we got was a front page message " Billing is cancelled" on the forum. The committee couldnt even take the time to send out PM.s or E mails to everyone. The 300zx forum did? Thats how I personally found out otherwise I might have still been going? The weather still isnt proved to be awful but at JAE last year we had what can almost be described as a monsoon and what happened .....everyone just laughed and got on with the weekend. I acctually lost my tent to the storm. Like I said this is the UK and we are used to bad weather.

Nothing is going to be gained from just throwing this subject back and forth and nothing can be done now its too late.

I just want to know why the committee felt it neccessary to lie and blame it on the billing management and not just be truthful at the start?

viniboy said:
OK. I see your point but maybe you aint the only one who cant see further than the end of your nose. This isnt just another cancellation. It was to be the main event of the year for more than just this club and it was cancelled on a whim. No I aint exaggerating. When it was announced it want said " if the weather isnt good we will cancel" AND (and thats a big and!) all we got was a front page message " Billing is cancelled" on the forum. The committee couldnt even take the time to send out PM.s or E mails to everyone. The 300zx forum did? Thats how I personally found out otherwise I might have still been going? The weather still isnt proved to be awful but at JAE last year we had what can almost be described as a monsoon and what happened .....everyone just laughed and got on with the weekend. I acctually lost my tent to the storm. Like I said this is the UK and we are used to bad weather.

Nothing is going to be gained from just throwing this subject back and forth and nothing can be done now its too late.

I just want to know why the committee felt it neccessary to lie and blame it on the billing management and not just be truthful at the start?

As for PMs/e-mails.

I've been trying to do this. It's not a built in feature of the forum, so I thought I'd install a mod to do it. I did so, but it didn't work as it was designed for ver 3.6.x of the forum and I've only 3.5 installed. So I'm looking for an alternative mod to do it but can't find one just yet.

And mass e-mail is pointless, of the 3000 I send I get about 2500 returns where people don't keep their e-mail address up to scratch. Also 75% of our membership don't even use the website :)

Back