Drag Challenge Round 9

Mr.F

Inactive
Following our successful visit to Shakespeare County Raceway, I've had some discussions with them about running an Eliminator there later this year. I propose to substitute the Santa Pod date for Round 9, 2nd October for a return visit to Shakespeare County.

This will be a normal round of the Z Challenge series, but with the added attraction of an eight car Bracket Eliminator. Those who attended the last round will have seen this in action - essentially it makes all entrants equal as opposed to fastest car wins!

We would have a couple of Z specific qualifying sessions for entrants to get a feel for their car on the day and then you post a time that you think you can run to consistently. This then introduces a handicap between the two lanes where the slower car gets a head start equal to the difference between the two posted times.

For example, if a car can run 12.5 second quarters and he is alongside a 15.0 second car, the slower car leaves the line 2.5 seconds ahead of the quicker car who has to chase him down and pass before the end of the quarter.

In theory, all cars become equal and the differences are down to driver skill - reaction time and ability to drive consistently. Break out (running faster than your posted time) will lose you the race, so no sand-bagging. A red light will lose you the race. In the case of two red lights, the worst offender is the loser.

I'd like to see eight commitments to be able to happily confirm this with the SCR guys, ideally with a couple of alternates in case of drop-outs.

This will be another first for the Drag Challenge, so get you name down to participate. In the case of more than eight entrants, the fastest eight cars from qualifying will compete.

I found it a hard track to be consistent on so there will be some right cockups from me at least.

For example, if a car can run 12.5 second quarters and he is alongside a 15.0 second car, the slower car leaves the line 2.5 seconds ahead of the quicker car who has to chase him down and pass before the end of the quarter.

In theory, all cars become equal and the differences are down to driver skill - reaction time and ability to drive consistently. Break out (running faster than your posted time) will lose you the race, so no sand-bagging. A red light will lose you the race. In the case of two red lights, the worst offender is the loser.

I'd like to see eight commitments to be able to happily confirm this with the SCR guys, ideally with a couple of alternates in case of drop-outs.

This will be another first for the Drag Challenge, so get you name down to participate. In the case of more than eight entrants, the fastest eight cars from qualifying will compete.

Hi Mike well done indeedy
IMHO this is a brilliant chance for the less quick guys to take part and not be scared of being mullered by the drag experts
I am willing again to support you by making my car available if there is not enough interest to make up the eight on the strip by coming along and letting anyone who wants to use my 280 on the strip the same as for North Weald I dont really want to but if it helps to make it happen and be a success count me in

Helmet is required. You might be able to borrow / hire on the day. Otherwise chat up anyone you know with a motorbike! I can bring one along for general loan if required...

Otherwise chat up anyone you know with a motorbike!...

Already working on it. My MOT tester is also a motorcycle dealer/tester and general bike and Nissan NUT. :thumbs:

I will let you know if I can attend in the next few days.

I'll be there guys, i have a car, it's taxed, running and i'll have the money to put petrol in the tank for a change so count me in! :)

O.K. - I've confirmed with SCR that we will do this Bracket Eliminator! It is imperative this time that all entrants get a "Z" prefixed race number at scrutineering and fill in a driver / car data form for the announcer.

We will get two Z specific qualifying sessions and a three round race session towards the end of the afternoon. More details to follow.

More Z history in the making!

Back