Chassis Number

shaun

Forum User
Hello, I am considering emptying my garage at home along with 12 years of z bits and also a 240z for repair. I was hoping ( a long shot ) that this may be tax exempt. Registered Aug 73, chassis No, hs30100712 / eng No L24145115. Can anyone please advise..........thanks

Recent discussions indicate that chassis number HS30-100800 = end of December 1972, so the good news is that HS30-100712 could be argued to be tax exempt!!:D
You will need a letter from the Club to back this up and then make the application to DVLA.

upto the end of december 1972 is the cut off for tax exempt cars unless you can prove it was made before this date .

....and noting that your name isn't in RED, I should point out that such a letter would be one of the benefits of being a Z Club member....

Mr F, When I took my 240 for MOT last Oct the new computorized test came up on screen as manufactured in 71 even though it wasn,t registered untill March 72 my chassis # is HS30-01931

exfam said:
.........came up on screen as manufactured in 71 even though it wasn,t registered untill March 72 my chassis # is HS30-01931
Are you surprised?

Some of the car transporters took as long as 8 weeks to get to the UK from Japan in those days. They often stopped in two or three ports on the way......

The cars also had to be transported from Hiratsuka to Honmoku Wharf in Yokohama on trucks, and then sat there for days or weeks before being loaded on the next scheduled ro-ro ship destined for a UK port call ( bear in mind that there were not all that many ships making the trip in those days ). Then a few days / weeks for unloading / customs / distribution allocation etc and all the rest of it, so it is no surprise at all to imagine a 1971 calendar year production date for a car UK-registered in March 1972..........

If you are really interested in the true production date of your car, you can cross-reference the production date of many of its components. Many of them are dated with 'Ken-sa' quality control stamps applied at the factories of individual components. Once you have a feel for the Japanese dating systems, you can put together the 'evidence' and come up with a pretty good idea of when it rolled off the line......

First place I always look is on the base of the rear view mirror. Pull the mirror off its mount ( it is attached by a strong spring, which is a safety feature ) and see if you can spot any numbers printed on the mount base. These numbers can be deciphered fairly easily.

Other good places are the wiring loom section labels. These are a bit harder to get at, but usually have the date of manufacture printed on the white vinyl part-number labels that are woven into the loom insulation. Eash section of the loom has a label.

If you have an original Factory steering wheel, you can often see the manufacturing quality control 'Ken' stamp on the alloy centre casting or on the brass part of the horn ring mechanism. Again, it is possible to decipher the date stamp. There are other places all over the cars.

Bear in mind that these are component manufacturing dates, and they need to be cross-referenced with others on the car to form a more complete picture.

Once production was in full swing, parts were being manufactured, delivered to Nissan Shatai at Hiratsuka and attached to production vehicles within a matter of just a few weeks. On average ( don't take this as gospel, as we have to be pragmatic ) you will tend to see something between three to six weeks between component manufacture and a complete car coming off the production line. Sometimes more - but usually around that kind of time frame it seems.

Look out for the Japanese year dating system though. You will often see the numbers for the 'year' section of the date use the national system relating to the year of ascendancy to the throne of the incumbent Emperor. First-generation ( S30-series ) Z cars were all built during the reign of Emperor 'Showa' ( known outside Japan as 'Hirohito' ). He ascended the throne in 1925 - so 1925 is 'Showa 1', and 1969 was 'Showa 44'. Hence you will see 'Ken-sa' stamp dates such as '71145' for example ( meaning 7th November 1970 ) - but not all component manufacturers ( and there were many component manufacturers on these cars ) used the same dating system - so keep an open mind.

Let us know what you find.

chassis # is HS30-01931
Even on the very basic figures provided in the parts books, I'd have put you approx. Oct / Nov 1971. 1501 = September 1971 on the parts ID trunover points.

Have a "Ken-sa" stamp on the back of my speedo a stamp logo at the top the numbers 26110 in the middle and 2 japanese letters below that.

'26110' is easy.

26 = 26th of the month

11 = November

0 = 1970

The quality control man at Kanto Seiki stamped that instrument on 26th November 1970. It was probably put into the dash, and then the car, in December.

Wrong. That's your VIN number ( a combination of the model type prefix and body serial number - which is unique to your car ).

The body serial number has nothing to do with the manufacturing date and quality control stamps that we have been discussing, and it is merely a sequential number that was given to each body that rolled off the production line. It is not a 'coded' version of the manufacturing date.......

My car also came up as a 71 and my chassis number is Hs30 102129 I will check to see if I can locate any component build codes. as most parts are still standard well the steering wheels is... Registered 8/73 must have been sitting around for a long time If so???

HS30-102129 most certainly is not 1971...maybe DVLA is classifying cars from what they would consider is the year of introduction into the UK? On a listing from the Department of Transport statistics received recently, 1971 is the earliest year for their records.

Of the 240Zs licensed at end of September 2005, the following distribution of years of first registration is reported:

1971 5
1972 40
1973 43
1974 10
1975 2
1976 0
1977 1 (!)

And additional cars by SORN classification:

1971 1
1972 24
1973 30
1974 10
1975 3
1980 1 (now that's what you call a late registration!)

As always, the absolute accuracy of these official figures may be in some doubt, but it does give a sort of snapshot.

Back