Zimply the Best

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Recently I acquired a load of paperwork and history with a car.

Whilst sifting through the ream of papers I came across this programme that had me staring in disbelief.

Apparently Tina Turner presented the AWOL (Area West of London) Z Club Group annual awards at The Waters Edge, Ruislip in January 1997.

The 'Queen of Rock & Roll' in person, not a lookalike or tribute act!

The AWOL group motto was 'Simply the Best' and Tina Turner used to drive a Z so someone suggested writing to her agent/manager as she happened to be on a UK tour at the same time.

Over to you Stevie Boy Burns and anyone else old enough to have been there to take the story on from here!

IMG_6099.JPG

Last edited:

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Oh I remember it well cost me a fortune to make that happen wonder who else can remember it
Unfortunately I had a big clear out of Z related stuff which included all the copies of the monthly news letters so cant remember who had the pleasure of receiving the awards

Bazzateer

Club Member
Wow! I was working in Ruislip from 94-98 and was often in the Water's Edge. Never noticed any Zeds though. Nor Ms Turner!

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Just discovered that the following awards were given in 1997
Member of the Year...Alan Maltby
Best attended of the Year... Paul Wrangle
Newcomer of the Year...Debbie Bunn
Most Absent With Out Leave (for not turning up at a meeting) Kevin Bristow

Mr.G

Club Member
Very nice Chris.

I think Frank Bruno may have been an SEZ club member in the 90s? Not sure if he went to any meets but he owned a 300ZX back then and was friends with Mr. F and use to visit him regularly in Brentwood.

From what I heard he sounded like a really good laugh to be around.

datsfun

Club Member
Apparently Tina Turner presented the AWOL (Area West of London) Z Club Group annual awards at The Waters Edge, Ruislip in January 1997.

The 'Queen of Rock & Roll' in person, not a lookalike or tribute act!

If i could turn back time, this would be have been a great rendezvous as its only a 10 minute walk away for me!

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Best era for popular music in my opinion.

Talking of Zimps

View attachment 42780

Early 80's was pretty good for music but have to say the 70's takes the win on both cars and music :D

Not sure about your Zimp though, only an Imp enthusiast could like that one, not Zagato's finest work ;)

Also found this business card in with the papers.
Big Sam must be the girl as the car in background is 00004 and not Big Sam!
70's advertising heh.. :EXTRAlol:

fullsizeoutput_f8c.jpeg