ZG Overfender Question

datsun dave

Club Member
What would be the final paint finish on a set of 240ZG Overfenders.

Gloss Clear Coat.
Satin Clear Coat.
Matt Clear Coat.

From the pictures i have it looks matt ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You can't be serious about wanting to stay original ? Paint 'em how YOU want ! What suits the car best ?

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
im going with satin or maybe gloss black inc all spoilers mirrors and chrome against orange car some time soon :lol:not every body's cup of tea but i think i mite just like it

martin

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Jeez - they're too juiced on sub-primes to be in the same world ! But concours events are very popular over there - here, we just drive 'em !

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Fair question Dave, I will await the correct answer with equal interest :) ... personally am tending towards satin black or gunmetal at the moment.

JakTheRuby

Club Member
I'd go for brown with a satin finish. Go over that signal yellow with a nice nondescript metallic bronze and get the interior finished in an ill observed, different shade of brown velour upholstery. Spray your dash a dark tan colour too. Wow. Leyland. Is it really any wonder that we've never been taken seriously as a mass producer of cars.

If it's gunmetal Dave, make sure it's leaning towards the charcoal end as a mid grey against that yellow may look a bit out of place. And definitely satin coat. Yummy!

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
All depends on the colour of the car, Jays look great on his car a man of very good taste best 2+2 I've ever seen if the where grey you would;nt see them. Mr P also has great taste & I can picture his car when it is finished mustard yellow everything else finished in graphite grey it will look the b******s. :thumbs:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
What would be the final paint finish on a set of 240ZG Overfenders.

Gloss Clear Coat.
Satin Clear Coat.
Matt Clear Coat.

From the pictures i have it looks matt ?

Dave
Factory finish on the original 'HS30-H' model Fairlady 240ZG fibreglass 'overfenders' was what I would describe as a satin-effect dark metallic grey.

This was a very thin 'gun' finish, without any evidence of a clear coat. The metallic is very very fine, and is extremely hard to photograph as it always looks different in photos than it does viewed with your own eyes, and in natural light.

Gel coat was actually black, and the satin coat was applied on the outside only. It was notoriously hard to look after, as it very quickly got sun bleached and also tended to scratch or scuff easily. Some cutting compounds and polishes were almost impossible to remove if they accidentally got onto the overfenders. Many owners started repainting them over the years in metallic charcoal greys, and adding clear coats to protect them. Many of the original cars you can see in Japan are like this now, although there is a gradual trend to start putting them back to factory type finish.

Here are a couple of refrence pics of an NOS OEM factory ZG-type overfender in its correct paint finish, compared with an NOS OEM factory 'Sports Option' race overfender first produced for the Fairlady Z432-R model in early 1970. Both of these are for the Right Front corner:

Attachments

• 432Opt-ZG-OF-1.jpg
    432Opt-ZG-OF-1.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 432Opt-ZG-OF-2.jpg
    432Opt-ZG-OF-2.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 22

datsun dave

Club Member
Thanks Alan for the pictures and detailed reply.

Why do you think that they did the 2 types of "Overfenders" and not use the "Sports Option" race overfender on the later ZG model.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Hmm the difference between the two over fenders is quiet surprising, the sports option has a flatter innner radius, an upward curve lead edge plus 7 mounting holes versus 6

Alan have you any pictures of the outwards profile of them as I would like to compare them with another set I have seen ;)

BTW I really like that satin grey