Z Club Drag Challenge Round 5A - North Weald

Mr.F

Inactive
A great turn-out for today's second Drag Meet of the weekend and all credit to those who did both days. True dedication!

We had a designated spot in the pits marked out for this meeting - the huge Z Club pennants, entry and exit banners, Zs parked in place - turned my back for two minutes to welcome the earlybirds and find a Corvette parked next to me, driver disappeared. Go to chat with a few people in the fire-up lanes - a bloody Mustang appears. The pennants are obviously not big enough or loud enough to get anyone's attention! Americana evacuated in time for a delegation from 300zx.co.uk to join us, and the area was filled for most of the day!

Track preparation was non-existent which caused some traction problems for anything with more than stock horsepower unless you were running slicks or burnt your tyres to a cinder or were called Paul Hopkinson...:p

No reaction times given today (despite checking with them that we would get this at the last meeting at North Weald) plus times and terminal speeds to two decimal places (terminal speeds calculated rather than accurately measured). However, despite its shortcomings, North Weald was enjoyed by all. Results as follows:

Class 1: Terry Taylor 240Z 15.49 @ 91.74

Class 5: Rob Smith 13.39 @ 114 mph
Paul Hopkinson 13.6 @ 105 mph - Paul ran a better time at North Weald today than yesterday at the Pod!!!!

Class 7: Darren Stiles 13.35 @ 114.9 mph (but he did add a few yards by pointing in opposite directions a few times as he went up the track...)

Spectator with Z: Charles Leekam 300ZX Z31
Joel Pickering Z32 TT
Me 350Z

Spectator without Z: Rob Hughes - BMW 320 CD 16.50 @ 84 mph
Ian Patmore
John Palmer
Matt Bannister
Jon Mason

Invitational: Yassa 300ZX Z32 TT 14.06 @ 108 mph
Neil Hewitson Z32 NA SWB 16.10 @ 82 mph
Plus others where no times left

Invitational Spectator with Z: Tony Britain 300ZX TT SWB

Not sure how the league tables are going to react to all runners having 0.0 reaction time, but I'll give it a try - results up in a minute or two...

Our thanks to the Organisational Team at North Weald for a well run seamless day. Special thanks to Tony Huck for allowing us the pit area for Club use.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mike,sorry but i gave you the wrong info. the top speed was correct but the time was 14.06. i look forward to having a proper go next time,i will get some advice as to tyre pressures etc, cheers stu.

hi mike,sorry but i gave you the wrong info. the top speed was correct but the time was 14.06

Corrected :)

Final round 24th October at Santa Pod - see you there?

Interesting. It would have been good to see Rob and Darren on the same run.

Terry - that's more like it I think you were using NOS before ;)

Paul - impressive - do you think having an auto on that surface helped, doubt it but worth asking?

i must come on here more often to get to know you guys... been to several of the sekz meets but never really introduced myself or properly spoken to you lot. always awkward breaking the ice! i turned up in a red 300 (yes another red 1 :() but only stayed for about an hour or so.

mike, i felt like a right numpty having got home and realising the form you gave me, was to be handed in at the time :eek:

Hey joely a big welcome
Big thumbs to you for deciding to join our happy little family and becoming an subscribed member you will be shortly issued a membership number and be receiving a membership pack
Also by becoming orange you will be able to access all areas of the clubs site and also be eligible for a free valuation for you Z for insurance purposes if you require it

thanks steve...:thumbs: tis about time i joined. been driving zeds since 2004 and although not a long time relative to some, its certainly long enough to have not joined up!

My best time was the first run while my old road tyres were still hot from the drive down, this run was not a brilliant set of gear changes by me. In spite of the down hill track and wind behind I was about ½ a second slower than on the sticky Santa Pod. I did better drives but with the tyres having got colder the times extended. Paul had a B&B his tyres were cold to start with so his times got better as they warmed. He certainly had the better tyres for this track surface beating me on several later runs. Darren’s car is somewhat lighter than mine so I can only imagine what it was like to drive. Even with the heavy weight Z32 under me it was quite lively. Slowing down in the space available was at times twitchier than controlling the ¼ mile run. At the end of the track the aeroplanes were taking off and landing with only a row of traffic cones across at the T-junction!!!

mike, i felt like a right numpty having got home and realising the form you gave me, was to be handed in at the time :eek:

As it says - "no form, no points...". However, as a relative newbie I think we can make an exception and add your first points in the Drag Challenge as Spectator with Z.

PM me your registration number to add to the cars in the table. Now you have to come to the final round and run it up the track at Santa Pod - 24th October.

oooh yeeaah! :thumbs:

do i get an extra 2 points for bringing a mrs full of arms and legs... representing a future of zedding with our soon to be zedder in training?

do i get an extra 2 points for bringing a mrs full of arms and legs... representing a future of zedding with our soon to be zedder in training?

Only if fully signed up as an independent member! :p

Your next haul of points will be gained by bringing the car to Santa Pod, running quicker than Rob S. and posting a 0.0001 reaction time...:devil:

Back