What you learn.

Wyn

Club Member
Just talkin to the mrs about exams and there worth.
Does it really matter what exams you pass at school?
I think I got a couple of GCSE's, n me bro got 7 odd plus a few A levels.
Yet he has ended up a builder (like you need loads of exams to lay a brick lol) n I've ended up in a better paid job in the mota trade.
Sure money isn't everything, but does it really matter in the long run what you get exams wise?
I think not, what say you?

btw, talkin the real world, not doc's n scientits here :D

With out the builders there are no schools for people to get all those exam passes and come to think of it there would be no garages :rolleyes:

pmac said:
And what world do us Scientists inhabit then???
A northern one
laugh.gif

No I jest, everyone needs a good nutcase ;)
Tell me Pete, out of interest, what exams did you pass whilst at schoool... "only" !!

Last edited by a moderator:
STEVE BURNS said:
With out the builders there are no schools for people to get all those exam passes and come to think of it there would be no garages :rolleyes:
Disagree Steve
Peeps who work at garages are a constructive breed imo, they like to fix and make! ;) Could build a garage easy.... not lol :D

Not knockin any trade btw, just curious to know what peeps walked out of school with comp with where they are now :)

Tell me Pete, out of interest, what exams did you pass whilst at schoool... "only" !!
TBH I have no recollection at all of what I got. They were good enough to get me into Uni to study pharmacy, but not good enough to get me on an optometry degree course.
Once you move up to an other level of education most of what you did/got earlier becomes irrelevant.
The last School type exam I did was about 8 years ago when I got an A* pass GCSE in Spanish, after 2 years at night classes.

I think it's the individual, and how they apply themselves that counts. I know highly qualified twits that I wouldn't trust to post a letter, and unqualified wide boys with a hundred times as much savvy who'll make a mint. Qualifications do open doors though, make no mistake.

Me? I got 11 O-levels and three A-levels and then went into the wrong career. Should've been a designer or an engineer, but got stuck in Insurance.

Bugger.

Engineers rock

Not so sure about “scientits” (love the spelling 900ss) but Engineers are always the best looking, get all the girls and of course drive blue cars because they are the fastest. Further more who is the one that always got captain Kirk out of the brown and smelly, yep you got it -- good old dependable Scotty, an engineer who could turn a sows ear into a plasma injector that would make the coffee whilst re sequencing the matrix of a dilithium crystal.

Joking aside, I did very poorly at school getting minor passes at "O" level grade, I found school, even then, too narrow minded and restrictive.

It wasn’t until I won an apprenticeship in engineering with the National coal board (doesn’t exist any more) that things changed, they sent me to college and then Polytechnic and basically said "take as many exams as you want and spend as long as you want doing it" 5 years later, armed with a plethora of electrical, mechanical, qualifications and licensure, I could go into the world and aim at a broad spectrum of careers. Now 25 years on I feel I have achieved and contributed significantly. I think also that being an engineer allows you to turn your hand to a wide variety of things (I don’t do plastering though-- black art-- impossible in terms of physics and done by masters of things arcane)

900ss said:
Disagree Steve
Peeps who work at garages are a constructive breed imo, they like to fix and make! ;) Could build a garage easy.... not lol :D
yeah and no doubt, most but not all, would have to call out something simular to the AA or RAC to put it right and rebuild most of it (IMHO):rolleyes: :D

What I've learnt since trying to teach myself Access for the benifit of the Z Club is

THAT IT SEEMS A FEW PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM LEARN ACCESS BUT DONT WANT TO SHARE THAT KNOWEDGE
But heyho I am only an uneducated buider and I will get there even if it takes another two years :mad:

THAT IT SEEMS A FEW PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM LEARN ACCESS BUT DONT WANT TO SHARE THAT KNOWEDGE
Since thr disability discrimination law stuff came into force last year I have had to learn a bit about ACCESS. which I am only too willing to share with you(shared access???)
Basically I have a sloping concrete ramp at the entrance to my shop now instead of a step. I also have a bell push outside which people car ring if they need help with ACCESS.
HTH.

my grades were not that good but i did enjoy chemistry and got a CSE 1 art,english and maths were CSE 2.left school and did YTS in catering at RAF Swinderby just outside Lincoln making at least 1000 donuts a day (and eating about 5-10 a day at the same time) or cooking steaks in the officer's mess .then got a job at Mcdonalds and got up to 3 star's before being sacked.then i worked in a factory making plastic bags ,then a foundry( a very dirty job) and then painting lorries and finally ended up painting cars .all this in ten years after leaving school and did my grade's help me?not really .i do not even have any qualifications for painting but i can paint better than some that have got qualifications.!!!!!!!!!

Ever consider that those people may be busy with "important" things rather than not wanting to share !!!!!!!:mad:

I managed to get 8 A, B or C grade GCSE's (I'm a whipper-snaper) and have never used a single one of them in my 16 years at work.

As a department head of a very large team (300+ people) in a comms company now, I must admit I personally hold little stock by exams results. To me they mean that somebody can study and retain facts and principles, not that they can apply those facts and principles in real life! I always look for experience over exam results and where I can't find that its always their attitude that counts.

Yes I would agree with Tony 260Z that exam result can open doors at the moment, but I do believe that the quantity of doors they do open, above and beyond those available to an unqualified joe like me, is decreasing year on year as joes like me become these peoples employers!

That seems to sum it up 900, zeeman and moggy's accounts of examinations passed, and the benefits they bring or brought or "brang" come to that, are very typical of so many. However, most of us still preach to our kids the importance of attaining the grades, even though we all really know, that if youve got what it takes, youll make it regardless.My daughter recently passed her eleven plus, and has just started grammar school, she wants to go into teaching abroad, (yeah shes only 11 for god sakes), which will of course involve qualifications and university, so in this case, as with tens of thousands of youngsters, taking the exams, and acheiving the grades is imperative, what you do with them is less important if you have determination, you will succeed.

Ps, I left with 4 cse's, started an apprenticeship, (Welder) with a firm that folded after 2 years, and went out into the wide world, with a headshield and chipping hammer. Now run an office cleaning company (20 years) and a Cafe (3 years), still cant weld.
Don.

SKiddell said:
Ever consider that those people may be busy with "important" things rather than not wanting to share !!!!!!!:mad:
Would be nice for a return phone call to messages or a reply to emails to advise that those people were busy with "important" things, surely that is "important" as well!!!!!!!:mad:

So as suggested, it don’t matter jack what you learn. Only what you do with it that counts.

Esp like the thought of mucho exam passers who couldn’t post a letter lol, to clever for their own good!! :D

Lots of peeps way over educated/studied for the work they are in you could say?

Still, not saying it doesn’t help, I’d love to work a lathe, but me n maths don’t go, so not much call for undersize pistons atm.
doh.gif

Would be nice for a return phone call to messages or a reply to emails to advise that those people were busy with "important" things, surely that is "important" as well!!!!!!!:mad:
I have lost count of the times I have told you that I am busy but as always you dont listen.

See PM rather than be rude and hijack this thread

Back