What have i bought ?

jimyj

Club Member
Hi , i have just rejoined the ranks of Z owners again after a 28 year absents !!
I have just bought a z from a long time owner whom has spend a huge ammount of money and someones time on this vehicle , trouble is i have no paperwork or any invoices of any sort .
Now the detective work begins !!
On the whole it looks and drives fantastic , few small jobs but mostly cosmetic and a dam good service but what i really what to know is it a 240 or 260 ??
The vehicle has no chassis number i can find i always thought they where fixed on the bulkhead , but alas nothing , the v5 says declared manufactured 1974 but used over seas ?? its rhd and date of first reg in the uk is 1974 .
Only badges are the normal wing ones , and tailgate , and it does say 240 on the glove box lid .
Any way i have joined the club and am looking forward to z ownership again .
James :thumbs:

My 1974 Z is an early 260 which is a bit of both really lol.

Welcome on board.

Rob

240z-260z ?????

Hi , Welcome back . My 240Z has its plate fixed to the right hand inner wing , it might help to get the engine number of the engine will tell if it is a 240Z engine , The DVLA should be able to tell you the cars chassis number and engine number if first regestered in the UK . How about a picture of the car ?

Regards
Phil. :driving:

Hey James,
As you can see, I live just down the road, so if need a Z to compare against, just call.
Mine is a 260Z, but I know of a 240 round the corner, an we could always call in.
Tom

i really what to know is it a 240 or 260 ??
The vehicle has no chassis number i can find i always thought they where fixed on the bulkhead

Are the reverse lights built in or seperate to the rear lights?
Built in will be a 240 seperate will be 260

Chassis no will be stamped in just up and above left of the servo (looking at it frt on)

the chassis number should be stamped on the bulkhead panel above the brake servo or just look on the V5 for the chassis number and engine number

Blimey!

How did the seller describe it!

Didn't you ask?

Give us some pics.

Is this a wind-up?

Hi thanks for the prompt replys guys , and no its not a wind up , the car is not stolen or iffy in any way at all , i have known off the car for a few years and if i am honest the previous owner didnt really want or need to sell it .
But now i own it i just would like to know what it really is , i have a v5 with engine and chassis numbers on it, only a 6 letter one so not sure even if thats correct , but nothing on the car , i am going to look again tommorrow , it was orange but now blue . so of you local guys might even know the car , only came from whitley !

.... the v5 says declared manufactured 1974 but used over seas ?? its rhd and date of first reg in the uk is 1974 .

jimyj said:
...its HS -30 101345

'HS30-101345' was manufactured in 1973. There is evidence of component manufacturing / ' Quality Control' inspection dates all over the car, if you really want to pin down what year and month it was made.

Is this number on a plate attached to the body of the car, or is it actually engraved onto the firewall of the car? VIN Plates can be taken from one car and put onto another quite easily, so I'd trust a firewall-engraved number much more than one stamped on an alloy tag....

'HS30' prefix was used on domestic Japanese market Fairlady 240Z, Fairlady 240Z-L and Fairlady 240ZG models, and on Australian, NZ, South African and UK market 'Datsun 240Z' export models. If your car was first registered in the UK declared used overseas, then if I were you I'd be interested in finding out what market model it is, where it was originally sold, and why it was imported to the UK so soon after.

If your car was first registered in the UK declared used overseas, then if I were you I'd be interested in finding out what market model it is, where it was originally sold, and why it was imported to the UK so soon after.

My 240Z is HS30100287. In 'Special Notes' on the V5 it reads:

Was registered/used overseas, declared manufactured 1973.

The date of first registration is 18/09/73.

Alan, how do I find out what market model it is, where it was originally sold and why it was imported so soon after? Do you have 'contacts'?

My 240Z is HS30100287. In 'Special Notes' on the V5 it reads:

Was registered/used overseas, declared manufactured 1973.

The date of first registration is 18/09/73.

Alan, how do I find out what market model it is, where it was originally sold and why it was imported so soon after?

'HS30-100287' was manufactured in 1972......

There would have been a natural 'tendency' ( ahem ) for anybody importing one in period to make out it was a bit younger than it really was. Nowadays we quite often find ourselves trying to prove that the cars are actually older. As already mentioned, evidence and clues to manufacturing date are all over the car.

You might like to ask Swansea about the car's past. They should have a copy of papers produced at time of first registration in UK ( import docs / foreign de-registration etc ) although they will of course charge a fee for this. Apart from that, the car itself might give you some clues. Japanese domestic market models are a little easier to identify, but SA, NZ and Aus. market models perhaps a little more tricky ( unless they've left a big clue like a Compliance plate in situ ). You need to go all Sherlock Holmes on it...

Rob Gaskin said:
Do you have 'contacts'?

Only premium rate phone lines that leave you feeling a little poorer, and with a faint tinge of disgust at yourself..... :)

Rob,
You could try a list of previous owners via the DVLA Swansea form V888 online or from the Post Office for a fiver.

Thanks again , yes that number is stamped into the body , interesting that its a 1973 , i just had my thought it could not be on an N plate !! and i would be great if it was a tax free one , just taxed it today £ 205 !

Blimey, how many Z's in Southampton? I make that at least 4.

Well my 240Z is HS30 01583 and shows first registration date of Jan 1972.
If you want to come and have a peep your more than welcome, even though its in many bits at present.:lol:

Are there that many in Southampton !! cant believe i have seen one about in the last few years .
How many 240 's 260's do the club think are still on the road , just interested , they where rare and rotten in the early 80's when i last had one :)

Back