What benefit of a coilover kit?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Obviously you wouldn't be fitting THAT particular model !

The best handling Zs have adjustable platforms combined with suitable (and I mean suitable to YOUR desired 'feeling') springs and dampers.

I don't know anybody who's fitted these particular parts though : they're might stiff springs for a 240Z !

Its the same part number as the 240z kit, they've just got a sale on so its 30 odd % less than i've seen them for. I guess they should be able to supply other spring rates.

I've just trying to get a 'rough' cost of parts together to refresh a US spec z so it handles+stops properly. Ideally before I get too tempted to buy a friends Porsche 968!!

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Frankly
The answer isnt simple (never is)

All in all it depends on what you want the car for
GT road
Occasional track
Etc

The ones you linked to are for a 280ZX and to be honest are not cheap for coil overs ($900 plus shipping and tax, then you have to fit them)

To fit coil overs you will need outer threaded sleeves x 4, lock rings x 8, springs x 4
(You can use the existing top spring retainers or add 4 x top hats to the list) either someone who can weld or buy the non weld type
If you want to significantly lower the car then you will need to section the stuts, re-weld and then fit differant inserts (dampers)

Or you can buy a set of custom springs (shorter and stiffer)

But its important to figure that the damper is a device to control the spring, change the spring rate and the damper might not be effective.

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Steve if you shortened the springs to accomodate a significantly lighter car, ie to get the ride height back to somewhere near normal, would having shorter springs of the same spring rate require different shocks?? Assuming the standard ride so to speak is the target.
I can't work out wether a car that is say 30% lighter needs the same lenght springs which are 30% softer or the same spring rate but shorter?? to achieve the same effect? Along with which shocks to match?
I know, I know... it's probably more complicated than that but....
Franky I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread:eek:

datsfun

Club Member
Have you tried GAZ shocks by any chance? They charged me £325 to convert my existing struts to a complete ride height and damping coilover jobbie up front and that inc springs too...

rears can be had for around £250 all inc...ok these are not s30 specific prices but pricing is same for standard telescopic top style shocks:thumbs:

I like the idea of adjustable spring platforms so I can corner weight the car.

Just weighing up options which isn't the easiest of things to do. I don't mind carrying out a bit of cutting and welding either.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Franky, have you actually got a Z yet?

If not then I would consider just finding a good one and see how it's purchase price compares to a 968. If it's a good Z then I reckon it will be more than a 968 and the 968 will already be a modern car with great handling and 'practicality'.

If your budget is tight then you might be better advised to buy something cheaper than either of these anyway. How much are we talking about here?

Coilovers - I hate that terminology, a 240Z already has coilovers as standard (i.e. springs over the dampers). Coilovers give you adjustablity of ride height and a huge choice of spring rates and lengths. For the road however you may just need 200lb, 10", 2 1/4".

What are you going to use this car for?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Steve if you shortened the springs to accomodate a significantly lighter car, ie to get the ride height back to somewhere near normal, would having shorter springs of the same spring rate require different shocks?? Assuming the standard ride so to speak is the target.
I can't work out wether a car that is say 30% lighter needs the same lenght springs which are 30% softer or the same spring rate but shorter?? to achieve the same effect? Along with which shocks to match?
I know, I know... it's probably more complicated than that but....
Franky I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread:eek:

Craig, I assume you are enquiring about your FG car set-up? I reckon you will need adjustable suspension (springs/dampers) to get that right. I also think it will need to be softer than standard to give it the standard feel. Just cutting springs is too cude to sort it.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Rob said:
Coilovers - I hate that terminology, a 240Z already has coilovers as standard (i.e. springs over the dampers).
Agreed, even though I am guilty of it myself :eek:

Craig, to echo Robs words, if its the FG shell then I think you need to build as much adjustability into it as possible because it will not play by the same tried and tested rules that we have all used on our S30's (arb's dampers, springs, roll centre spacers) plus I really like the look of some of the fabricated rear "A" arms etc, they give you almost infinite tweakability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Franky, have you actually got a Z yet?

If not then I would consider just finding a good one and see how it's purchase price compares to a 968. If it's a good Z then I reckon it will be more than a 968 and the 968 will already be a modern car with great handling and 'practicality'.

If your budget is tight then you might be better advised to buy something cheaper than either of these anyway. How much are we talking about here?

Coilovers - I hate that terminology, a 240Z already has coilovers as standard (i.e. springs over the dampers). Coilovers give you adjustablity of ride height and a huge choice of spring rates and lengths. For the road however you may just need 200lb, 10", 2 1/4".

What are you going to use this car for?

Not found one yet(well found one but with what I want to do and my budget being squeezed by a move its not a possible for now).

With a common sense head on a 968 would make more sense but the insurance is about £400 more a year, road tax £240 more and I don't have the same desire for one as a 240z. Add to the fact that I like to tinker and it all makes sense:thumbs:

My plan is to use the car for everything, summer commute to work, trackdays, touring and at my local sprint course a couple of times a year.

I've realised a good z will be a fresh import so i'm basing my budget on a decent one with mods on top.

I thought it made sense to plan ahead on projects like these and look at what my spend on top of the car would be???