V8s and Zs/ZXs !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hang on, what is a good V8 engine to slip in a Z/ZX - for overall performance without getting silly, ease of maintenance etc ?

SBC 350 steel block with alloy heads, simply because it will make 350bhp and as much torque and will cost under £2K new in a Z / ZX you should be in the low 13's she should do about 30mpg on a leisurely run and should last forever, with your battery mounted in the boot, the bonnet latch relocated and the engine set right back in the engine bay, and some judicious shuffling around of anything you can to shift the weight to the rear, electric water pumps etc you should even maintain that Z feel or even better, do you remember my old 280ZX with the 305SBC that was very fast at Goodwood and that had steel heads and about 250bhp a well known highly modified Z man and a good mate once said he saw me as a spek in his rear view mirror and next thing I was flying past him. I think you would like it.

I'm being tempted by the 350 bhp and 30 mpg in a 2+2, but a Z or ZX ?

You know me, I couldn't give bluebottles' spit for straight line performance but a modest looking Z/ZX that'll tractor pull one of these modernGTi tuning bods really appeals :) Start looking !

What the hell do you want with Euros anyway ? I need all that money to pay my neighbour NOT to put his cows on my field to graze so he can pay me for my spring water to water his maize growing that we'll sell to you guys !

SeanDezart said:
I'm being tempted by the 350 bhp and 30 mpg in a 2+2, but a Z or ZX ?

You know me, I couldn't give bluebottles' spit for straight line performance but a modest looking Z/ZX that'll tractor pull one of these modernGTi tuning bods really appeals :) Start looking !
Hi sean we havent met yet, maybe one day, just go for it the Z32 SBC convesion is so easy there is no cutting involved at all the origional rad and front pannel fit the gearstick if you wanted manual is in the same place the only thing to mod is the prop and motor mounts. I get the impression you are not into the 1/4 mile thing but 12 sec is possible without much investment, Go for it Gav.:D :p

Excellent! Go for it!

A straight SBC into an S30 is truely easy-peasy:D. The hard bit is deciding on the power output or variant of the engine, 250 to 450 BHP/lbft is well within reach? EFI ali engine or carb'd cast iron? 3 or 4 speed auto/5 or 6 speed manual?

What did you have in mind???

Gav, I was more tempted by the S30 look (2+2 260Z) but in Z32, why not ?
Of course over here there are very strict laws on what can be modified (or in most cases not be !) !
Could always register the car inthe UK - cost of a Z32 with dead engine ? And the SBC of course ?

Dead Zed £500

SBC £3000 - £20,000 depending on how much bhp you want (need)

Wiping the smile off 600bhp Z32 owners' faces - priceless :devil:

So, are we saying that to have 350 bhp in a Z32, one could count on a budget of 6k (donor car, new engine, transport and fitting included) ?

How does having a different engine affect all the HICAS and wotsits (if at all) ?

I reckon you could whip an oldish but pokey SBC out of a knackered yank for not a huge amount of cash and if you went for carbs then it wouldn't involve any electronics. If a knackered Z was only £500 then surely your could do it for a lot less than £6k?

why bother with a V8 the next project I am working on is a 240Z with a 3ltr V10 restricted to 14000rpm just trying to work out the geartrain and axle

I might also be up for a V8 conversion in the future with at least 350 bhp it's the sound, Oh I love the sound, where do we purchase a new SBC V8 unit from?

Nick.

You can get "crate" (ie "in a box") V8's in various stages of pokeyness from various places in the US (can't remember where, sorry).

And yes, the sound is absolutely unbeatable :)

Scroggin Dickey (sp?) have them, Edelbrock as well. I think there was a thread where I asked for links?

Hee, hee, hee - always over the top you straight-liners ! What about 'just' 400 bhp ? Perhaps less than 14000 $ !!!

Back