Tokiko Ilumina shocks Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

I bought a set of these shocks a couple of weeks ago, went to fit them today and ran into a problem.
When ordering the shocks I was asked for year and model, I told him its book and its a 1974 260z 2+2............he then asked me was it an early or late.............I checked the log book and its a march 1974. He said it was the early model.

Now when fitting the front shock today the threaded collar is too small of my tube.

does anyone know the exact differences between the early and late models??

Cheers.

Jay

Jay ive done the same mod on my 77, and ive got a spare set I will measure the collars tomorrow, I think from memory they were bigger on the later ones ? but I will double check for you or ring Mike feeney he will know, love your car though well hope we can help Nigels +2 to look that sharp !!

i thought the 2+2 leg was around 55mm think that's what mine were?? and the 2 seater was 50mm i think?????

getting ready with my tin hat............ bullets ahoy

Dam think I just cought your post too late, The guy I bought them off is sending me over the larger collars.

Have a feeling Nigels car is going tobe great!!!!

much better i would think:D bushes shocks springs and roll bars and it will be very nice then power steering and job done:thumbs: that's if you not already got all that stuff??

Yes this gets confusing with 2 Martins Yes my 2+2 is polybushed and uprated antiroll bars! which I thought would not make a lot of difference, but shes much much better than original set up well worth the mod ! but hey what do we know driving 2+2s according to Skid !! cant over take Austin Allegros Ha Ha

i really want to get power steering sorted this year sometime, my gearbox is grinding in second gear so bought a s14 box today, will have to do a bit of searching to see how to fit it!

My 260Z 2+2 has poly bushes, an S14 gearbox, Tokico HPs and power-steering. When it's all bolted together, I'd let you know but there aint many Allegros over here to compare against...............

Uprated anti-roll bars - where from ? I missed that on the shopping list - aren't they already thicker than 2 seater ones ?

Glad to hear the bushes are a wroth while mod!!

Sean have you fitted your s14 box yet? ive done some research and seems very complicated to fit, or does it just sound harder than it really is?

Just a rolling shell for now but you know who is supplying me with box, short-shift AND tailormade (length) propshaft.

I've the same thing in my 240Z - peasy !

who supplied you with those goodies? How much shorter does the propshaft have to be? some people shorten it by 20mm and others by 50mm?

from what I can gather, the bellhousing needs maching to take the larger bearings in the s14 box and one of the holes needs to be drilled out to 16mm? is that it or is ther more to it?

what about gearbox mountings?

who supplied you with those goodies?

The kit was sold by me to Sean, It was advertized on this forum at the time.
I dont have any others available.And I dont envisage having another any time soon. Nor do I have any information on how to do the conversion,

re. your original request - the 260Z 2+2 European models used the later version of the shocks from the outset. The changeover to the larger diameter tubes only relates to the 2 seater. As we only had '73/'74 early 2 seater and '77/'78 2 seater. the changeover point doesn't apply to the UK models - they are either first generation 260Z or the final generation version - no in-betweeners. If you purchased rear shocks also, they will be the wrong length if supplied according to early 2 seater application...

thanks fir that mrf. my car is an oz import so woukd that be the same. when ordering the lowering springs i got the early ones and they fitted no problem. ill try the rear shocks for length today. thanks for the heads up

Off topic but you asked:

The S13/14 gearbox mod is easier than it sounds. Making a cup of tea sounds complicated if you write it down in detail! To a man of your means Jay it will be no problem. I wish I'd done it earlier when Black Bug sold his bits to S Kiddell - I was frightened off.

Propshaft needs to be 50mm shorter.

Do you have access to a good engineer to work on the bellhousing - I guess so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back