swearing????????????/

mark240z

Well-Known Forum User
i dont under stand why we cant use swear words?????? i went to write the word c r a p p y and when it posted *********** whats the deal with that ??? i pay my money and sometimes i might feel the need to drop a few words every now and then, and just because its a swear word or you might class it as one doesnt mean that it is nessaserly used in a bad or offencive way who do you think looks at this website 90 year old ladys??????

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Mark, we introduced the 'censorship' because we went through a period when there were some very offensive posts in threads and I for one didn't think that it was appropriate for this Forum.

If we don't have automatic censorship then someone has got to read all the threads and moderate them and then get abuse for doing so. It also then becomes a matter of personal opinion as to what we allow and don't.

I swear like most people but I don't think it should happen on here and then be visible by anyone for all time.

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
We used profanity filters when I worked at AOL, we never got any customers from Scunthorpe or Clitheroe!

Steve

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
I must admit i got carried away when the new classified system went up and it took an age for ads to get approved.
So on that level its good.
As I wouldn't want any younger viewers reading and using.

But sometimes a cheeky little swear gets the sentence over ever so well lol !'

M

madmarco

some of us live in the real world,another victory for the do-gooders,my opioun only

Not a victory, just a small amount of decency on a forum open to members of all ages and sexes. I curse at work and in my private life as much as anyone, but I dont put it print. That doesn't make me old fashioned, just wise enough to know better.
If you think the committe are a bunch of do-gooders you dont know us very well! :D

status

Well-Known Forum User
some of the words that are not allowed on here,come on get real,the usual again the majority ruled by the minority,and ive been in the club a lot longer than you Marco and ive known most of the members over the years,sadly a lot of them dont bother anymore,i wonder why

M

madmarco

Thats great status, your welcome to get involved in running the club anytime. I'm surprised your not a committee member after your long time in the club. The only minority are the members that are actually willing to dedicate their time to making the club better. We could use your help, not your constant criticism. I guess if we just turned off the swear filter and let everyone curse as much as they like everything would be OK?

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
Cursing and swearing: an Englishman?s birthright? University of Glasgow LibraryThere I was looking for something to illustrate my belief that, while swearing is perfectly permissible in context, the Gordon Ramsey-esque use of it as ******* punctuation is just evidence of someone with a lazy or restricted ******* vocabulary when I came across this:
swearing_tp_detail1.jpg

and was amused to read that at one stage, swearing was ******* illegal, mate. You couldn't even say
Lickorous glutton, freckled bittor, jobbernol goosecap, ninny lobcock.
And then I found this
periodic-table-of-swearing.jpg
which even has a keyboard version:
[YOUTUBE]rAVU8d7b8jQ[/YOUTUBE]
So if you really want to swear, have a go at that and then give the mods a break. A ******* automatic swear filter is a lot easier to run and wastes a lot less of their ******* time. Shame it doesn't get rid of Scunthorpe :)

status

Well-Known Forum User
I did offer to get involved but nothing come of it many moons ago,as for the swearing i agree with you to a certain extent but i think its gone a bit to far as most of the words are not swear words,like i said,i live in the real world,as for my so called constant criticism its my opinion not criticism and like i said about a year ago when someone didnt like another members opinion if you dont like other peoples opinions dont come on here,not once have i slagged anyone off which is more than can be said about some people on here and as for making the club better that aint happening is it,just compare the membership numbers to 5-6 years ago.dont think you can argue with that can you,but that is my opinion not criticism,there is a difference,as for help runnug the club one for later possibly

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
...........just compare the membership numbers to 5-6 years ago.dont think you can argue with that can you....

Yes, from the bottom left of 'Home' page:

» Stats
Members: 5,091

Never been greater!

In the 'good old days' of the magazine how much swearing was printed in that?